Ref 9 & Pre 8 with Timepiece 2.1; anybody heard this com

Daemon

Hi All,

Have any of you heard the Nuforce Ref 9 amps driving a pair of SP Technology's Timepiece 2.1 speakers? What did you think?

I'm still trying to decide what to replace my poor old AR28s with, that won't increase the Australian national debt too much  :roll:

Karsten

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2006, 10:26 am »
Yes I'm running that configuration here, it will give you a lot of "bang for the buck"

If you want an accurate referance system at a reasonable price, you will find this interesting.

Karsten

deBunk

• http://www.perthpunk.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2006, 05:08 pm »
Daemon

Where are the SP Technology Timepiece 2.1 speakers available in Australia, please?

Cheers

Daemon

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2006, 10:58 pm »
They aren't, but even with our lousy dollar value and transport across the wet, they'd still come in at a realistic price (much more affordable than avalon or wilson  :wink: ). It's more a matter of coming to the decision that they're what I really want (without hearing them).

bhobba

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2006, 11:58 pm »
Quote from: Daemon
They aren't, but even with our lousy dollar value and transport across the wet, they'd still come in at a realistic price (much more affordable than avalon or wilson  :wink: ). It's more a matter of coming to the decision that they're what I really want (without hearing them).

Such is more common than you realize.  The first serious pair of speakers I purchased about 21 years ago now were Gale 402's.  I went to the dealer for a listen but he told me people who bought them usually came in and said that is what they wanted so he did not actually stock them - they were a cult speaker with an excellent reputaton.  I could go to his home and hear his pair if I wanted - but they were the 401's - the previous model.  I purchased them unheard - and never regretted it.  Speakers do not get that type of reputation without being good.  The same with the Timepieces - they are also getting a cult reputation.  I believe you can purchase them with confidence unheard.

BTW Ref 9's and Timepeices are used by a number of people - and they all report good results.  

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2006, 12:20 am »
Hi All

Knew others had used the Timepieces with Ref 9's.  Check out the following thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25631&start=10&sid=69c9424a50b6517720cd557bac27fb6c

'Experimented with amp rolling and bi-amping. Differences between the NuForce Ref. 9, Ref. 9 SE and Ref. 8 were clearly, and easily, told on the Timepieces. More so than on the ESL57--likely because of the Timepiece's complete spectrum coverage, at least a full octave more at the low end. The Timepieces sound at home with no toe-in. This is also a trait of the NuForce amp, or a trait for components with exceptional phase coherence in my experiences. I feel more at ease with the speakers looking straight ahead, instead of at me. I am completely happy with the synergy between the Modwright and the NuForce. That is, until the arrival of the VSE RTP3D, and the six-month after-arriving $10k NuForce P-10.'

I am sure if you got a pair of Timepieces they would go very well with the Nuforce amps.  It is also interesting that Bica found they trounced Quads -a very interesting finding indeed - but one best taken up on another forum.

Thanks
Bill

Daemon

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2006, 09:29 pm »
Karsten; Thanks for that. When you say intereseting, do you mean interesting good or interesting, hmmm not sure if I really like that?

Thanks for the link to that thread Bill, I appreciate the trouble you've been going too, to help me out with this.

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2006, 04:02 am »
Daemon, if this helps--pay attention to your front end with the Ref. 9/Timepiece 2.1 combo. This is a highly revealing set up, and a lesser front end can easily take away the magic they're capable of producing.  Go the SE route when finance allows.

Don't be shocked by the size and weight of the Timepieces when they arrive, and don't be fooled by the price difference between the Timepiece 2.1 and other top dollar big name speakers...you are getting the best  :beer:

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2006, 04:14 am »
Quote from: Bica
Don't be shocked by the size and weight of the Timepieces when they arrive, and don't be fooled by the price difference between the Timepiece 2.1 and other top dollar big name speakers...you are getting the best  :beer:

:thumb:  So true, and yet so few realize it...yet.  :wink:

Karsten

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2006, 08:43 am »
Quote from: Daemon
Karsten; Thanks for that. When you say intereseting, do you mean interesting good or interesting, hmmm not sure if I really like that?

Daemon,

Since I'm involved with both SP Tech and NuForce I don't want to go over the top in praising these products. However I only carry products which I personally like.

To meet my personal preferences (at the given budget) which is a non fatiguing, involving and detailed reproduction, I would go for the P8-Ref 9 & Timepiece 2.1 solution. This is about as diplomatic as I can put it :)

Karsten

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2006, 10:24 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
Quote from: Bica

:thumb:  So true, and yet so few realize it...yet.  :wink:
:hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper: .....Thats what I try to stress with the TP's..... :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:
    Buy them....and enjoy !!! :beer: [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Daemon

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2006, 11:28 am »
Thanks guys, I'm just about convinced.