soldering speaker terminals

fajimr

« on: 17 May 2006, 03:04 am »
o.k.  getting very close here  :hyper:

got the transfos and pcb mounted, wired up, and tested [whew] now i am ready to test each of the channels but am looking ahead to see a couple of soldering steps ahead :P

what is the best way to attach (i.e. solder):
1) the speaker terminal wires?  My binding posts have a hollow inside with a semi circle cut out- do I just put some bare wire inside and then try to attach it with solder? doesn't seem very elegant..... is there another way to do it?

2) the input wires... same thing here but on a much smaller scale.  Also where do the POSITIVE and NEGATIVE wires go?

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2006, 03:16 am »
Jim,

Yep, you got it.....  Use a hot iron, at least 40W, and lay the wire into the hollow end, crescent uppermost.  Best to tin the wire first, then apply heat viciously for a short time.  When good and hot, add the solder.  It should flow nicely.

Because there is a fair amount of thermal inertia in the binding posts, once in place and completed, hold the wire quite still for ten seconds or so as it sets.  Failure to do this could move it around during the solidifying process and lead to a dry joint.

The positive wire (a misnomer, better referred to as ACTIVE) is marked 'signal' on the pcb;  the negative wire (better referred to as ground) is so described also on the board and goes to the outer conductor of the RCAs, the 'frame'.

Cheers,

Hugh