best sounding outboard phono amp?

soundguy3

« on: 15 May 2006, 11:46 pm »
Looking for suggestions to upgrade my existing outboard phono pre amp which is a Creek OBH-8SE....any suggestions?.......don't want to spend a fortune, but still want good sound. :)  I feed it into a vintage McIntosh Mc240 direct, so no pre amp needed.

Thanks,

SGuy

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2006, 11:48 pm »
on the low end the new cambridge 640p looks interesting-
been thinking aboot one myself

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2006, 01:18 am »
Just got a new Dynavector PV75.  it sounds great so far (only about 12 hrs on it; need 100 supposedly).

tubeytubeamp

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2006, 01:39 am »
on the low end the new cambridge 640p looks interesting-
been thinking aboot one myself

I own the 540p myself. It is a very good budget phono preamp. Much better than the similarly priced Parasound PPH100.

Dennis

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2006, 02:42 am »
I have purchased two phono sections in the last six months and still have both of them because they're both very nice but one is just extraordinary at its price point and even higher.
I got the Jolida JD-9 some months back from Bill Baker @ Response Audio and it is a very nice 12AX7 (tube) based unit@ $450 with an enormous range of adjustment.  I am presently using it with a vintage Dual CS5000 which has an Ultra low mass tonearm and a Pickering EP HiFi cartridge body and a Stanton D4500S stylus.  While this set up is MM it gives up very little in terms of detail retrieval and is actually quite forgiving of poor surface quality vinyl.  I rolled the stock tubes to Sovtek 12AX7LPS but put the stock back in because it was just easier to listen to w/o quite so much transparency.  Very nice build quality and a terrific range of adjustment, one quibble however-you must take the damn thing apart to roll tubes and work those spring loaded shields off the tubes a royal PITA.
The other phono section is more costly but is fast becoming the  measuring point for reasonably priced phono sections and  is the Eastern Electric Minimax.  I just mounted the very good Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II cartridge on my KAB modded Technics 1200 MKII tonight and with the Minimax I've never heard better recorded music period.  I realize that sounds very egotistical but having made a reasonable investment in all Eastern Electric Minimax electronics and a second hand pair of Vandersteen 1C's I am very pleased.  This phono section lists @ $1500 from http://morningstaraudio.com/ and I can't recommend any piece of equipment more highly.  The importer, Bill O'Connell is a terrific resource as well.  Maybe he can make you deal you can't refuse.

I also need to say thanks to Kevin Barrett of KAB who is one of the good guys in audio and has been a good friend and my vinyl mentor.

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2006, 04:49 pm »
I use a Wright Sound WP 100, and it's really slick! I mean really slick! It's ugly, and clashes with all the aluminium in my turntable setting above it, but is the sound slick, smooth, lush almost a Conrad Johnson kinda sound!
I think this is a good combo for an unsuspended turntable.
    Another good one is the one from Camelot, but I like tubes.
gary

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2006, 04:57 pm »
Dan Wright should be very close to having his phono stage available -- within weeks.  :wink:

claud

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2006, 05:18 pm »
I second the EE Minimax. I just rolled the new Tung Sol reissues into it, and it sounds great.

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2006, 05:31 pm »
I second the Dynavector P75.  Very good sound and extremely flexible.

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2006, 05:33 pm »
Don't forget the Hagerman Coronet. I haven't really every heard of anyone who didn't like it! Or at least not until they compared it against far pricier models.

Enjoy,
Bob

soundguy3

thanks for the info.............
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2006, 03:59 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.........!!!

Sguy

xaudiomanx

Re: best sounding outboard phono amp?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2006, 02:43 am »
By far the Dr. Arthur Loesch phono preamp is about as good as it gets.