Why nobody likes Martin Logan?

95bcwh

« on: 15 May 2006, 05:06 pm »
Since joining this forum, I don't recall anyone talking about Martin Logan speakers, I wonder why. Is there anything wrong with their sound or price?

From my experience talking to different people, people who owns Martin Logan seemed to be "extremely" proud of their speakers, they just don't seem to want to give other speakers a chance, I can sense the "cult-like" behavoir. On the other hand, people who don't own Martin Logan told me that people bought Martin Logan because of the name, good marketing....you can do better for your money, blah blah blah...

Because I cannot find a dealer within 200 miles of where I live, I will be interested to hear your opinion...so I can decide if it's worth driving 250 miles to listen to these speakers.

Thank you.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2006, 05:15 pm »
This is not the forum to find out about Martin Logan's.  I would post your query on audioasylum.

Michael

DTB300

Re: Why nobody likes Martin Logan?
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2006, 05:33 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
From my experience talking to different people, people who owns Martin Logan seemed to be "extremely" proud of their speakers, they just don't seem to want to give other speakers a chance, I can sense the "cult-like" behavoir. On the other hand, people who don't own Martin Logan told me that people bought Martin Logan because of the name, good marketing... ...

I own Martin Logan's and am very happy with them.  But there are other speakers I would be just as happy with owning.  If you want to talk to a bunch of ML fanatics, stop over to the Martin Logan Owners Forum which is not affiliated with the Martin Logan company.  Just a bunch of us ML lovers.

www.martinloganowners.com

There was a thread there that asked what would you own if not ML's and was interesting to see all the responses.  

BTW, if you are not extremely proud of the current speakers you own, then you do not own the right speakers :D

Over at the Asylum in the Planar forum there is "some" discussion about ML, but it is primarily Mangeplanar talk.

Dan

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2006, 05:35 pm »
Oo..just briefly checked the Audioasylum forum.. seems like nobody is saying good things about Martin Logan too :thumbdown:

I guess my curiosity has been completely dampened by now..

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2006, 05:52 pm »
Martin-Logan:  Too mainstream for most AudioCircle members and visitors.

But I have a Martin-Logan subwoofer I consider superb.  I listened to it a few years back with a big pair or Martin-Logan speakers in a showroom.  It stole the show from the main speakers at a time when I wasn't all that interested in subwoofers.  I was there to listen to a top SACD player.  My first question was about the great sounding bass I was hearing.

Dr. Krull

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2006, 07:03 pm »
Oo..just briefly checked the Audioasylum forum.. seems like nobody is saying good things about Martin Logan too :thumbdown:

Yeah, they're junk just like Vandersteen Model 5s, Orions and Magneplanars.  Nobody in their right mind would consider any of them acceptable by your standards.   :lol:

-Krull

95bcwh

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2006, 07:38 pm »
Quote from: Dr.  Krull

Yeah, they're junk just like Vandersteen Model 5s, Orions and Magneplanars.  Nobody in their right mind would consider any of them acceptable by your standards.   :lol:

-Krull

I report what I heard, when I doubt what I was hearing I posted a message on this forum asking people if they have similar experience. Never did I used the word "junk" to describe Vandy, Orion and Maggies.

Don't blame me for not liking what I heard, blame the guy who demo'ed these speakers to me who has no clue how to set them up properly.

"Junk" is something that I won't want even if you give it to me for free.

If you give me Vandy, Orion, and Maggies for free.. I will wholeheartedly accept them with big thanks... :notworthy:

mcrespo71

Re: Why nobody likes Martin Logan?
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2006, 07:42 pm »
Since joining this forum, I don't recall anyone talking about Martin Logan speakers, I wonder why. Is there anything wrong with their sound or price?

From my experience talking to different people, people who owns Martin Logan seemed to be "extremely" proud of their speakers, they just don't seem to want to give other speakers a chance, I can sense the "cult-like" behavoir. On the other hand, people who don't own Martin Logan told me that people bought Martin Logan because of the name, good marketing... ...

Have you ever heard an electrostatic speaker?  If not, it may be worth the drive just to hear them.  There are other electrostats I like more (e.g., Quad or Innersound), but I think those will be harder for you to find.

Michael

Randy

95 -
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2006, 07:45 pm »
Krull's comments were inapproprate and uncalled for.  Makes you wonder if he actually read your posts.

95bcwh

Re: 95 -
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2006, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: Randy
Krull's comments were inapproprate and uncalled for.  Makes you wonder if he actually read your posts.

I'm not "mad" at Dr. Krull's comment, I welcome all criticism, it's good to hear different opinions. But I don't want to be like George W. Bush, who has no idea how to defend himself and explain simple things.... :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2006, 08:14 pm »
I don't want to be like George W. Bush, who has no idea how to defend himself and explain simple things.... :lol:

You mean like this.
"We look forward to hearing your vision, so we can more better do our job. That's what I'm telling you."—Gulfport, Miss., Sept. 20, 2005.

Apparently our president has a pair of "visionary speakers."  :lol:

BTW, I am going to Dan's to listen to his MLs in a couple of weeks.  I've only heard MLs at Tweeter and they probably did not set up nicely.  I know from a pair of Sound Labs that these need a lot of room and room treatment to sound right.

Dr. Krull

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2006, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: Randy

Actually, I only made the flip comment because I did read his post, in addition to the others where he panned the Vandys, Orions & Maggies.   :roll:

-Krull

95bcwh

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2006, 08:33 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi

Apparently our president has a pair of "visionary speakers."  :lol:

BTW, I am going to Dan's to listen to his MLs in a couple of weeks.  I've only heard MLs at Tweeter and they probably did ...

Oh..good... please report back you thought on the ML. The only electrostatic speakers I have listened to are Maggies 1.6, at the same store where I heard the Vandy 5A, if the guy did such a bad job on the Vandy, I can't imagine how bad he must have made the Maggies sounded.

Now I honestly believe that the best way to listen to speakers is to go to the homes of actual owners, not in the B&M store where they tried to sell too many things.

TomW16

ML Comments
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2006, 08:54 pm »
I listened to some Martin Logan SL3s many years ago at the Montreal Son & Image show and they were very impressive.  I don't remember what associated equipment they used but both my wife and I walked away very impressed after listening to 3-4 musical cuts.

The music being played wasn't terribly dynamic as I recall but what was playing had tremendous air and depth (ie. they imaged very well).

The speakers were well away from the back and side walls with a chair inbetween the speakers.  Whoever set up the speakers seemed to know what they were doing.

Tom

dado5

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2006, 08:56 pm »
I’ve heard lots of their models over the years and only the CLS impressed me back in the early 90’s.  Even then it was not the nearly as good as the Quads. In general I have not heard many planar speakers I have cared for (old and new Quads excepted). The throw a disproportionate sound stage and don’t integrate well  with subs. ML’s have a tipped up balance to my ears as well.

For what it’s worth.

mcrespo71

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2006, 09:08 pm »
Oh..good... please report back you thought on the ML. The only electrostatic speakers I have listened to are Maggies 1.6, at the same store where I heard the Vandy 5A, if the guy did such a bad job on the Vandy, I can't imagine how bad he must have made the Maggies sounded.

Now I honestly believe that the best way to listen to speakers is to go to the homes of actual owners, not in the B&M store where they tried to sell too many things.

Magnepans are not electrostats.  They are planars.

Tweaker

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2006, 09:25 pm »
Since electrostats can be ruthlessly revealing the conventional wisdom is to mate them with tube gear. Not that tube gear can't resolve well but because they tend to not be as bright sounding as many transister amps. A generalization for sure but the combo can be magic.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2006, 09:25 pm »
actually, they are both planars - one's an electrostatic and the other, depending on who's talking, is planar-dynamic, magneto-static, or magneto-planar.

Tweaker

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2006, 09:32 pm »
Magnepan describe their panels as Planar-Magnetic.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2006, 09:43 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
Since electrostats can be ruthlessly revealing the conventional wisdom is to mate them with tube gear. Not that tube gear can't resolve well but because they tend to not be as bright sounding as many transister amps. A generalization for sure but the combo can be magic.

I thought the stats were good with tubes because they are voltage driven and tubes handle that better than transistors. :?: