Anyone compared digital out of the SB versus AirportExpress?

Loftprojection

Wondering if the stock SB digital out performs better then the one in Airport Express.  Anyone ever did some kind of a/b test?

arthur

Re: Anyone compared digital out of the SB versus AirportExpress?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2007, 03:07 am »
i'm interested in this too. the output is supposed to be bit-perfect...

i'm thinking of using
external hard drive -> itunes in my ibook -> airport express -> M-Audio CO2 to convert the optical signal to coax (or maybe something cheaper and simpler) -> Scott Nixon TubeDAC

... but i'm afraid that this combination might give me a sound that is inferior than the one i'm getting from my slightly modified (power cable) Sony S7000 that i use as transport. i've never used an airport express nor M-Audio CO2.

I'm also considering going the SB3 route, but i'm so spoiled with Itunes that it's difficult to switch... and i'm afraid of using the wired option for the SB3 thinking that this may bring the noise of the laptop (and external HD - both of which are connected to a different circuit breaker than the stereo) into stereo system. I don't have a router - i pitched in with my neighbors for the internet connection, so i don't think i can go wireless with SB3 while being able to use internet.

what do you think?

Nels Ferre

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2007, 04:02 am »
i'm interested in this too. the output is supposed to be bit-perfect...

i'm thinking of using
external hard drive -> itunes in my ibook -> airport express -> M-Audio CO2 to convert the optical signal to coax (or maybe something cheaper and simpler) -> Scott Nixon TubeDAC

... but i'm afraid that this combination might give me a sound that is inferior than the one i'm getting from my slightly modified (power cable) Sony S7000 that i use as transport. i've never used an airport express nor M-Audio CO2.

I'm also considering going the SB3 route, but i'm so spoiled with Itunes that it's difficult to switch... and i'm afraid of using the wired option for the SB3 thinking that this may bring the noise of the laptop (and external HD - both of which are connected to a different circuit breaker than the stereo) into stereo system. I don't have a router - i pitched in with my neighbors for the internet connection, so i don't think i can go wireless with SB3 while being able to use internet.

what do you think?

I was concerned about noise, but have none going from my PC laptop to a Trends 10.1 to my DAC. You might want to try that route first.

andy_c

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2007, 02:14 pm »
...and i'm afraid of using the wired option for the SB3 thinking that this may bring the noise of the laptop (and external HD - both of which are connected to a different circuit breaker than the stereo) into stereo system.

The ethernet connection is transformer coupled, so that will not add any ground loops.

arthur

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2007, 06:41 pm »
so no noise from the hard drives spinning or anything going from laptop through ethernet conneciton?

do i need a router for the ethernet connection or it can go straight from the laptop to SB3?

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:29 pm »
You can go direct from a laptop to an SB3 if you use a "crossover" cable. These are readily available at most computer stores.

The laptop has to be running SlimServer software to play music from the laptop to the SB.

There is more "noise" injected into your AC lines from the switching power supplies of your computer and the stock SB3 then noise added into the ethernet wiring.