VERY QUIET HERE - LET'S HAVE SOME NOISE!!!!!!!

AKSA

« on: 11 May 2006, 11:13 am »
:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
 :flame:  :flame:  :flame:
 :duel:  :duel:  :drums:

rabbitz

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2006, 01:56 pm »
Too busy listening to tunes and tweaking speakers.... if you like, I could turn it up a bit. :lol:

Grumpy_Git

Quiet? - Too Quiet!
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2006, 02:26 pm »
Hugh, lets be honest, most companies would kill for such a content customer base.

Anywho, Like Rabbitz says we're all too busy listening to tunes, or I was till my Squeezebox died  :evil:

Still it gives me time to encode the next batch of cds and possibly work on cleaning up the tags.

Nick.

PS: I'd get noisy for a DAKSA!!!!  :mrgreen:

Geoff-AU

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2006, 12:50 pm »
Like Grumpy says, my AKSA is performing perfectly..  I've got nothing to whinge about!  :mrgreen:  (touch wood!!)

Actually I was planning on adding a mains filter at some stage, but haven't gotten around to it.  Certainly still enjoying my setup, I tweaked a bit more life out of my speakers too - new speakers would be nice but I'd also gain a lot by being able to play these ones in a bigger room!

jinca

The noise couldn't be better.
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2006, 07:15 pm »
My AKSA 55N+ brings me joy every day.

I think about a GK-1.

I bought a Squeezebox SB3.  
The h/w, s/w and convenience is great.
The sound is not so inspiring, so it stays off most of the time.

Git,
Did you modify your Squeezebox?

bhobba

Re: The noise couldn't be better.
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2006, 09:55 pm »
Quote from: jinca
I bought a Squeezebox SB3. The h/w, s/w and convenience is great. The sound is not so inspiring, so it stays off most of the time.

But when modded it is supposed to be a world beater.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20939

Thanks
Bill

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2006, 10:10 pm »
Nothing was modded on the squeezebox as I'd only had it a few weeks and was giving it a proper listen, not that it matters as my curent living arrangements limit system setup.

It seemed to be sounding good but I'd had a few ideas that I wanted to try out on it or maybe an ebay special.

Hugh:
There's a nice thread about powering the Squeezebox off battery power and PV cell chargers, just as a thought, what kind of power does my GK1-R draw if I wanted to run that and my 55 off a similar system with a bank of SLA batteries?

cheers

Nick

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2006, 11:12 pm »
Hi Nick, Jinca,

I have heard the SqueezeBox II.  Quite impressive.  The owner went to the trouble of buying a special power supply from Wayne of Boulder Cables.  It had a major beneficial effect, according to him, though I did not verify this.  But it sure sounded good on an AKSA system with Ambience ribbons and a Rythmik sub.

As you might know I've been doing some work with PT914 and Aurelius on power supplies for the Orion crossover.  We have all been surprised how much this impacts on the sound quality, and it is clear to me that there is a strong likelihood the SqueezeBox may benefit from a different supply too.

The GK1 current draw per channel is low, Nick, around 20mA per rail, that's 2 x 20mA per channel, positive and negative supplies.  The power supply used on the GK1 is very important to the sound;  the theory of operation is expanded and further refined with the Orion crossover supply.

I will be announcing a new power supply kit very soon on the website.  Be warned, however, it's quite expensive because there's a lot in it and it will come fully assembled and tested.

Cheers,

Hugh

keithvv

All is quiet...
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2006, 11:28 pm »
Hugh, et.al.
Damn..... I haven't even had time to build my GK-1 yet and already there's a major upgrade to the power supply coming out.  :wink:
(At least the house has been painted, thereby freeing up the pressure on the "honey do" list, hence time to build the beast is just around the corner) :mrgreen:
I presume that the right path is to go ahead and build the GK (with suitable tweaks as described by the venerable Ginger and a few others), and then pop for the new power supply when it comes available... how long you think it will be Hugh?
Cheers,
Keith

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2006, 02:19 am »
Keith,

Thanks for your email (and thanks to all other contributors here too, Geoff, Bhobba, Rabbitz!), but don't be worried - the GK1 power supply will remain without upgrades!

This power supply will be universal, made for two markets, Crossovers, Preamps, ultimately Squeezeboxes, but available in a variety of currents and voltages using a module approach.

The supply for the Orion crossovers should be available within four weeks if all goes to plan.

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2006, 08:26 am »
Hugh, has the new power supply been tried on the GK-1? If yes, please let us know if there was any improvement. And if not - would you anticipate improvements in sound by using it in this context?

bhobba

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2006, 08:52 am »
Quote from: AKSA
This power supply will be universal, made for two markets, Crossovers, Preamps, ultimately Squeezeboxes, but available in a variety of currents and voltages using a module approach.

Great to hear.  The Bolder one for the Sqeezebox will be about $900 Australian and then shipping from America and then only when Wayne gets around to making them.  Very interesting to see how yours stacks up.  Wayne found expensisve Jensen four poles made a big difference.  If you can get by without those then it may be more cost effective.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2006, 01:51 pm »
Hugh....
    [/list:u]
      OK.....
    How's this ?......(not really noise, but a very good young drummer... 8) )[/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Felipe

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2006, 11:25 pm »
    Hugh,

4 weeks to launch is really looking good !!  :mrgreen:

Any comments on how much will a PS for a Squeezebox will cost ?
    The Bolder company sells them from $750 US !!! Yaicks !! Thats a lot!
    These $numbers are out of my league....

Wayne says its expensive because of the parts used... Jensen caps and all.... but i am hoping Aspen Amps can offer us a better deal ?!

econ

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2006, 12:04 am »
    I have the same question as Jens:
    Is the power supply
    going to add a new dimension to the GK 1 ?

Geoff-AU

« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2006, 02:51 am »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    How's this ?......(not really noise, but a very good young drummer... 8) )

wow.. kid's got talent (his official site says he's 21 now, btw!)

AKSA

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2006, 02:55 am »
    Paul,

I have no plans to 'upgrade' the GK1.  It's pretty much exactly as I want it.  I make this comment almost four years after the original design, and normally I keep tinkering with all my designs as a matter of course.  After all, I am a compulsive-obsessive of Herculean, epic proportion.  This one is left well alone......

I can tell you that for five years I've been tinkering with the power amplifiers too.  Right now I've come to the end of three months full on tinkering with the AKSA 55 and 100.  To date I've not been able to improve on the N+.  At every turn I meet with a dead end.  I have tried some wild, off the wall designs too, some of considerable complexity.  Technology for its own sake has proven an evolutionary dead end;  so have all the very clever, 'cunning' mods as well.  I make this comment with some shame;  I've tried absolutely everything.  In this quest I have been ably assisted by towering talents like Ian Miller, Dave Stocks, Romeo Tiu and others too numerous to mention.  It has proven intensely difficult to improve on the AKSAs, it's almost impossible.  We can change the sonic presentation here and there, but absolutely nothing delivers the full package like the present product.  If I ever do make this giant leap, I will let you know immediately!!

Cheers,

Hugh

rabbitz

« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2006, 03:37 am »
    OCD... know all about that big time.

Hugh... I scored a AKSA 55N kit and would like to know if the gain is the same as the 55N+. I think it is but thought I better check with the master.

Gives me a chance at bi-amping a 0.5 woofer which sounds like an odd thing to do, but there's a combination of series and parallel crossovers which need to be fed separately. Bi-wiring did the trick and bi-amping should be better plus I can adjust for level for baffle step.

AKSA

« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2006, 04:06 am »
    Hi Pierre,

No problem at all - gain is identical, fixed by (82 + 2.2)/2.2 - the feedback divider resistors, at 38.3, or 31.6dB.  Identical on ALL AKSAs, no exceptions.  Matter of policy, ahem........ :lol:

Speaking of OCD, I am about to replace my CB900F Hornet with a five year old, pristine ZRX1200R Kawasaki with only 12,600 kms on the clock.

I believe this will be the bike of my dreams.  More grunt than a pig farm, more torque than a Tupperware party!!  I will never use all the power, I'm a bit wary on cornering, but a superb machine absolutely every owner raves about.  I take delivery half way through the week.  It will be great for a quick fang down to the Post Office with my parcels, and a wonderful look, parked on the sidewalk......

After nine months with the Honda, I still have my legs - and my licence!!  Can't believe it....... :beer:

Cheers,

Hugh

Geoff-AU

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2006, 06:49 am »
    Hugh.. you're not trying hard enough!  :lol:

self-preservation is probably a good policy to have though.  It means you get to hang around and enjoy life a bit longer :)

The amount of effort you've gone to attempting to improve on your products is admirable, and the fact that you've been unable to shows just how solid they are.  It certainly adds confidence that any of your top tier designs (N+, GK1, etc) are fantastic performers, with many years' worth of aggregate listening behind each by you and your testers.

I made the mistake of listening to Floyd on my old man's Mission/Sony setup today, because I was tidying the house and his system was closer.  His speakers may be better than mine but it sounded sterile and very digital.  I'm sure the THD figures are great though!  :P