UCD Heatsink & Adaptor Plates

Kevin Haskins

« on: 9 May 2006, 05:36 pm »
These are a few of the tid-bits that are going together to form our kit.   These are not yet in stock but in production.    This heatsink/adaptor plate simplifies UCD construction considerably.   It takes all the hard work out of mounting modules and the worry out of controlling heat dissipation.

With these two parts what used to take a couple hours of machine work with a template & drill press now takes five minutes with a screwdriver.   The end result looks better too.  ;-)

The adaptor plate allows mounting of either UCD180 or UCD400 (both hole patterns are pre-drilled).   You can mount from one to five modules on a single adaptor plate and the mounting holes are recessed for a flush face.   The reason?   Next picture....

It has to be flush to mount the modules to our custom tooled heatsink assembly.   You can either use one or two heatsinks depending upon how many modules you mount to the adaptor plate.   For one, two or three channel UCD400 builds you can use just one heatsink and keep cool temps.  

With four or five channel builds we recommend two heatsinks.

For UCD180 builds you just don't need the heatsinks.   You can simply mount the adaptor plate to the bottom of the amplifier chassis, which match the hole pattern on the adaptor plate.

The same hole pattern in the chassis matches the pre-drilled and tapped heatsink hole pattern for mounting the UCD400 build-ups.  

With only two parts we manage to allow mounting options for one through five-channel amplifier builds using either UCD180 or UCD400 modules.   We also provide heat management for any of those configurations and remove the largest single labor requirement for assembling the UCD amplifiers.   Now it takes about 5-10 minutes to mount five UCD400 amplifiers and secure them to the chassis.

Just wait until you see the chassis.   ;-)

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2006, 06:36 pm »
Very nice, Kevin.

kfr01

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2006, 07:27 pm »
I can't wait to see the final kits.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2006, 06:34 pm »
I like the heat sinks - could use a couple for my UCD 700 project, even if I have to hack my own adapater plate (well, I let Frontpanelexpress worry about that).

will you sell the heatsinks separately, given I have no use for the adapter plates with my modules?

Peter

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2006, 09:38 pm »
We are going to have all the parts for sale individually.   Maybe not right out of the gate because I have to make sure I have enough parts for the complete kits.    From a business perspective it doesn't make much sense for me to sell all my heatsinks and make a few hundred dollars but be unable to ship thousands of dollars worth of amplifier kits.   :o

There will also be a UCD700 adaptor plate down the line.

darwin

Re: UCD Heatsink & Adaptor Plates
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2006, 12:52 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins

Just wait until you see the chassis.

I've been waiting. When are we going to see it?  :D

MarkM

Re: UCD Heatsink & Adaptor Plates
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2006, 01:50 pm »
Quote from: darwin
Quote from: Kevin Haskins

Just wait until you see the chassis.

I've been waiting. When are we going to see it?  :D

I agree, how close are you to offering the packaged kits?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2006, 05:51 pm »
I'm guessing we are at a minimum five weeks out and probably double that.  I've received most of the chassis but there are several aluminum parts that are being made in Taiwan that have not even shipped yet.    My chassis vendor made a mistake on the front panel so that is getting corrected and hopefully won't hold up production much longer.

After I have all the parts I still have pictures, instructions, packaging materials and web development so it isn't as simple as just getting the parts unfortunately.

Once we have these up and rolling a good mono-block for the UCD700 is in the works.

It might look something like this.

Dimensions would be 8.5" W x 3.5" H x 14.5" D.    Two of them would fit in exactly the same dimensions as our standard 2U chassis.