-tube swap-not subtle

rosconey

-tube swap-not subtle
« on: 8 May 2006, 11:50 pm »
bought some tubes from ebay for my candela pre-ecc82 type-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9709301935&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

1 of the first ones had a loud rushing sound so i sent them back and recieved the replacements this morning-so i swapped them in and went back to cleaning the garage-about a hour later i went in for a listen-btw the ebay seller is top notch-

i was stunned to say the least-everything sounded different ,like a component was changed -i couldnt believe it,so i sat down and started listening-still listening :mrgreen:

so who else has had a dramatic change from a simple tube swap-

toobluvr

Re: -tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2006, 12:37 am »
Quote from: rosconey
 i was stunned to say the least-everything sounded different ,like a component was changed -i couldnt believe it,so i sat down and started listening-still listening icon_mrgreen.gif

so who else has had a dramatic change from a simple tube swap-.

I suspect it is quite common to those experienced with tube gear, and rolling tubes.

Personally, I have experienced it too many times to even begin recounting.

That's one of the beauties of tube gear......
Season to taste, baby!!
 :dance:

jon_010101

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2006, 04:15 am »
Those military 6189's are fantastic.  I have a pair that I use in my Consonance Basie with great results.  Considering that both of our amps use SRPP, I am not surprised you are liking them so much.  Probably my favorite 12AU7 variant.

If you can find some RCA Command 5814's, give them a whirl too... another excellent tube.

Both are richer sounding than a typical RCA cleartop or Mullard, which is something I can really appreciate.

bunky

Re: -tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2006, 09:54 am »
bought some tubes from ebay for my candela pre-ecc82 type-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9709301935&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

1 of the first ones had a loud rushing sound so i sent them back and recieved the replacements this morning-so i swapped them in and went back to cleaning the garage-about a hour later i went in for a listen-btw the ebay seller is top notch-

i was stunned to say the least-everything sounded different ,like a component was changed -i couldnt b ...
Hey Rosconey'tube rolling is a very cool way to fine tune your preamplifier to suit your system.i noticed a big change when i rolled a quad of Amperex 7308 goldpins into my Anthem Pre 1L linestage. i am now using a Balanced Audio Technology VK 3i preamp and in my system i prefer the  factory supplied Russian 6922 tubes over the high dollar 7308's.thanks....WCW III

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2006, 11:57 am »
Yep, tube swaps often make a very siginificant difference/improvement.  I have fairly decent gear, and have found the tubes from VTS very good.  This gent is extremely knowledgable, and very thorough in his checkout.  I highly recommend purchasing tubes from him.  http://vintagetubeservices.com/Default.htm .   :!:  :D

Dave

rosconey

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2006, 08:27 pm »
swapping tubes in my cdp showed slight differances-nothing like the change in the candela-

i feel confident now that when more of the candelas get out there it will be one of the hottest pre's going-

melville

Tube Swap
« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2006, 09:20 pm »
I recently swapped tubes in my SFCD-1, and the difference was dramatic.  I replaced NOS Tungsram 6922s (recommended by Pcx) with 1950s Mullard 6DJ8s.  Virtually every parameter of sound was better - weird.  The only downside was that, strangely, the Mullards were less lush than the Tungsrams.  I thought that the Mullards had a reputation for being 'wet'-sounding.  I only consider it a downside because I liked that aspect of the Tungsrams.

Wind Chaser

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2006, 10:35 pm »
swapping tubes in my cdp showed slight differances-nothing like the change in the candela-

Try more different tubes.  The difference between the Electro Harmonix 12AX7, a Ruby 12AU7 and a vintage Mullard 12AU7 in my CDP is nothing short of drastic.

David Ellis

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2006, 10:58 pm »
For those who are enthusiastic in this thread, I'll offer another angle to the concept of tweaking.

It has become clearly obvious to the folks in this string that different/better/worse tubes exist.  

I believe this is even more significantly true with coupling capacitors.  Where there are tubes, there are most likely some coupling capacitor immediately adjacent those tubes - generally 1 per channel per tube.  They are fairly easy to locate.  Better tube gear will have solen/axon stuff from the factory.  Replacing these with a better capacitor will have an impact @ 3-5x more significant than improving tubes - and for much less $$.  I really like Sonicap, Sonicap Platinum, and Mundorf silver & oil.  The downside to these latter capacitors is their physical size.  They are very big.  The Sonicap will fit most places occupied currently by a Solen.  The very best part is the Sonicap will cost a whopping $5-$10 each for most coupling applications.

IME, replacing a Sovtek (generally) with a Siemens  or Amperex in a 12AX7/12AT7 has some positive impact.  Replacing a Solen with a Sonicap has far greater impact.  Another decent cap is Auricap, but... I prefer the slightly more detailed sound of the Sonicap.

For the slightly adventurous, swapping coupling capacitors is the biggest bang-for-the-buck in hifi.

My 2c.

Dave

rosconey

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2006, 11:02 pm »
the candela comes with sonicaps and high end resistors stock :mrgreen:

real happy right now-not sure if i want to spend any more -might just enjoy the tunes for awhile :o

Wind Chaser

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2006, 11:59 pm »
Here's a nice inexpensive tweak that I'll take your tubes to the next level.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/index.htm

David Ellis

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2006, 12:39 am »
candela

Wow!  This is very surprising.  Most manufacturers don't fuss with better capacitors.  

But... please excuse my ignorance... what is the "candela"?

Double Ugly

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2006, 02:02 am »
Quote from: David Ellis
candela

Wow!  This is very surprising.  Most manufacturers don't fuss with better capacitors.  

But... please excuse my ignorance... what is the "candela"?

It's a new preamp from Odyssey Audio, but it isn't up on their website yet.

FWIW, I'm told  the new battery-powered preamp from Dodd Audio also sports Sonicaps.

markC

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2006, 02:17 am »
I whole heatedly agree with both comments-tube swap and cap swap. Tubes are realativly easy to do and IMO make a signifigant change-some for the better, some not. It's easy, although sometimes not cheap to experiment. As far as caps go; a little more involved but the rewards are greater as Dave has stated.

David Ellis

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2006, 12:23 pm »
It's a new preamp from Odyssey Audio, but it isn't up on their website yet[/code]

Ahhh, okay.  

I heard rumor of this @2 years ago.  The Odyssey folks imbued one of their amplifiers with Black Gates, Sonicaps and other good stuff.  The results were fabulous, but the cost was understandably higher.  Also, I have a hunch that any advertised improvements due to "better" parts would upset the satus quo - disturbing the supply lines of cheaper parts currently extant.  This is just a hunch though.  

It seems pervasively understood among the AKSA folks that better parts DO have a very positive impact in SS amps.

I am glad to see the Odyssey folks offering this product.  Historically a few of my customers have owned Odyssey folks, but sold them in favor of a better amplifier.  A few of the "better" amplifiers were AKSA.  A few amplifiers were from VanAlstine.

rosconey

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2006, 08:40 pm »
better amps is subjective-

everyone hears different-

not everyone has the same sources ect-

hey atleast you mentioned 2 companies that also have great service - :mrgreen:

bunky

-tube swap-not subtle
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2006, 09:18 pm »
Quote from: David Ellis
Ahhh, okay.  

I heard rumor of this @2 years ago.  The Odyssey folks imbued one of their amplifiers with Black Gates, Sonicaps and other good stuff.  The results were fabulous, but the cost was understandably higher.  Also, I have a hunch that any advertised improvements due to "better" parts would upset the satus quo - disturbing the supply lines of cheaper parts currently extant.  This is just a hunch though.  

It seems pervasively understood among the AKSA folks that better parts DO have a very pos ...
Hey David, i own a pair of Special order Odyssey factory modded mono extreme SE's with 30+ parts changes to the boards and i can vouch for the fact that they sound phenominal in my two channel rig.Alex who works for Klaus also owns a pair of mono extreme SE's and is in fact the one who selected the parts for the new Odyssey Candela tube linestage. Odyssey Audio is no stranger to upscale parts in thier product line. i also own a pair of the Lorelei loudspeakers which are built with Scanspeak drivers, Audyne and F&T capacitors and custom made Mundorf coils and WBT platinum binding posts.i am currently running a Balanced Audio Technology VK 3i linestage but i can see an Odyssey Candela in my two channel rig in the near future  thanks....WCW III