advice on moderate price TTs with pitch control

Russell Dawkins

« on: 3 May 2006, 05:36 am »
I have a friend who is looking for a second hand (or new??) turntable/arm/cartridge with pitch control (his wife is a professional musician) at roughly the Rega 3 / RB300 level of quality.
Could someone steer him in the right direction?
thanks,
Russell

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2006, 04:03 am »
Most classic Garrads and Thorens' allow speed fine-tuning. But turntables of this vintage, unless very well restored, usually have speed stability problems.

If the turntable uses an AC motor, an AC regenerator with the provision for frequency adjustment works brilliantly and would usually improve the sound at the same time.

Some people actually have more problems with pitch instability caused by an off-center spindle hole on many LPs.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2006, 04:14 pm »
The venerable Technics SL-1200 has pitch/speed control and can be modded to Rega P3 standards (or beyond, depending on your view) by these fella's:

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2006, 05:06 pm »
Good tip, Chair Guy, thanks.
Since this is the scond time this TT  and source has been recommended (first time by PM) it's beginning to look like this Technics is the only game in town at this price point.
Who'd-a-thunk-it. I'm not used to thinking of Technics 'tables in the same light as, even, Rega.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2006, 06:37 pm »
Russell,

I've not bought it, or heard it...but it seems to fit your requirements.

I have talked to owner Kevin A Barrett in the past....he's a gent and will talk you thru the purchase without pressure.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2006, 09:32 am »
I own a Technics SL1210 with the KAB arm damper. Competitive with a Rega P3? Well, before I owned the Technics, my table was a P3 with Incognito wire and brass structure hardware. Pretty tricked out for a P3. The Technics stomped the poor Rega so bad in every way that I actually felt sorry for the Rega. I've thought a few times over the last couple of years about "upgrading" the Technics but truefully, I've seen nothing out there under $2500 that I would swap it for. Many owners of the Technics with the arm damper installed feel they have found there last turntable. Do your friend a favor and steer him to www.kabusa.com.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2006, 05:03 pm »
Thanks, Merle,
well I guess that about settles it. Hell, I may even look in to one myself, as I run a Rega. I guess the arm is as good as or better than the RB 300, also? To have Rega performance as well  as pitch control would be nice. It would be perfect if the same unit could play 78s and 33/45s since it has a removable headshell. I know there is a 78 option, but that seems to turn it into a 78 only machine.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2006, 08:26 pm »
Russell,

The Technics arm feels pretty good in hand, but probably falls short of the Rega RB-300.  But, when you add that damping trough, you are kicking it up so many notches it may not matter :)

When I spoke to Kevin he mentioned, however, that the outboard power supply was an even more beneficial accessory than the damping trough.  He may even be able to add 78 rpm playback within that power supply - just ask him. With AC synchronous mains supplies it is possible I think.

I like my recently purchased VPI HW-19 Mark III, but the rock solid images and better pitch of my $50 Direct Drive JVC (Panasonic / Technics long time sister company - in fact the power supply board has many Matsushita parts on it) is missed.  I made a homebrew damping trough with 10,000 cst silicone and the benefit was substantial.

To equal even my $50 JVC, I think I'll need to add another $800+ to the equation to get it as good in those areas.