Firmware, phase and mods

Wayne1

Firmware, phase and mods
« on: 1 May 2006, 08:33 pm »
Slim Devices recently released SlimServer version 6.2.2

This is running firmware 48.

The firmware does fix some problems with wireless connectivity.

If you are using a BOLDER analog modded SB2 or 3, using this firmware will invert the phase of the output signal. You will have to change your speakers + and - connections to restore correct phase in your system.

If you are using a tube preamp in between a SB and your amp, that may also invert phase. Then the total system phase will be correct  :?

I do suggest everyone download mgalusha's firmware selector discussed here

Firmware 15 does maintain correct phase with the BOLDER modded SB

Try out firmware 15 and 48. Try changing your speaker connections around with each firmware. Stick with the one that SOUNDS best to YOU in YOUR system.

Eli

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2006, 11:51 pm »
Does the firmware invert phase on non-modded units?

You guys are still convinced that the newer versions of the firmware are monkeying with the output, eh?  If so, why not take that up in the Slim Server forums and have it fixed or at least discuss your concerns?

And why not request an option to invert the phase, rather than fiddling with cabling?

Wayne1

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2006, 11:58 pm »
Firmware 15 inverts phase on stock units.

This was changed in all firmware from 28 up.

I do suggest you listen to the different versions and change your speaker wire polarity around.

You might have something else in your signal path that inverts the phase of the signal.

Wayne1

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2006, 08:15 pm »
There is a "bug fix" request in for a phase inversion option.

Slim Devices may not feel this is a priority item.

Eli

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2006, 08:56 pm »
Forget the phase inversion.

I still don't understand why the concerns about a loss in sound _quality_ in later firmware revisions isn't brought up in the Slim Devices forums.  You see questions asked (similar to questions I see here) such as "Which firmware do I use?" (which amp do I buy, which mods do I want, etc. etc.)", but nobody with a brain discussing what may be a valid concern.  

You're going to get to a point where firmware 15 won't even work with the latest version of Slim Server.  Firmware and server are released in tandem, so a small change to the communication protocol could easily put an end to being able to use old firmware.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2006, 09:34 pm »
That's why I continue to use my old version (can't remember the number) as well as firmware 15.   :mrgreen:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

George

jakepunk

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2006, 10:21 pm »
Quote from: Eli
I still don't understand why the concerns about a loss in sound _quality_ in later firmware revisions isn't brought up in the Slim Devices forums.

It has.  One AC member, Music Machine, inquired about it.  But until someone can produce binary output comparing one firmware to another, it is subjective.  I, too, will stay with a previous version because it isn't broken.

DSK

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2006, 10:26 pm »
Quote from: jakepunk
...I, too, will stay with a previous version because it isn't broken.
Ditto!

tonyptony

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2006, 01:28 am »
Here's one question I don't have a clear answer to: does v.15 invert the phase of the digital out at all, or with or without the volume adjustment disabled?

mgalusha

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2006, 03:14 am »
Quote from: tonyptony
Here's one question I don't have a clear answer to: does v.15 invert the phase of the digital out at all, or with or without the volume adjustment disabled?

Nope. The firmware phase change was in response to the fact that the original analog op-amp inverted phase. No effect on the digital section that I'm aware of.

kmcdonou4eq5

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2006, 04:10 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't use speakers.  My modded SB goes directly into my headphone amp.  Does this reverse phase mean I have to run the right ic of the SB into the left input of the headphone amp?

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2006, 07:28 pm »
Could someone show me how to manually put the FW15 back in the loop after the 6.2.2 installation?  I first lost connection to wireless router, was able to restore the wireless connection, but don't want to reverse the spekaer wire to use the FW48.

Spent much efforts to download and install mgalush's FW switch selector w/o lucks.  Couldn't locate the MS .NET 1.1 package, for one.

Thanks in advance.

Edited:  Never mind my panicking message.  I've just able to figure how to manually roll back the FW15 to current v6.2.2.  Whew!

Now I wonder why I can no longer use my laptop to control the server, which is running on a PC next room.

DSK

Firmware, phase and mods
« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2006, 10:41 pm »
Quote from: kmcdonou4eq5
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't use speakers.  My modded SB goes directly into my headphone amp.  Does this reverse phase mean I have to run the right ic of the SB into the left input of the headphone amp?

No, that will reverse left and right channels not phase. You do NOT want to do that.