Newbie to HiFi - some sound advice regarding RWA needed! :)

chimaera

Hey guys (and gals!),

I'm new to hifi and been finding out a great deal as I go along. I've got some questions (without hopefully being daft) about building a system with my listening needs that I hope someone better informed than myself may help out with.
This is my current set-up:
1) Speakers - Blueroom Minipod Speakers (90db sensitivity)
2) Cambridge Audio Azur 540a amplifier
3) Sonic Impact T-amp
4) Source - iTunes via Airport Express
5) QED Silver Anniversary cables

Having experimented with the SI T-amp I found they beat my Azur flat out, which made me very optimistic about T-Class amps. Wishing to stray from the mass market amps available, I would like to find out if the upcoming Sig 30 amp (or even the Lotus combo, which looks fantastic) will pair nicely with my current speakers (which I really like alot)? :D

As it stands I'm using airport express to stream music (encoded Apple Lossless Format with error correction) along with a standard RCA Stereo Jack. This will be my source for some time to come (since I have tons of tunes on my Hard Disk) and I wonder if Airport express is the best way to get "hifi" sounding quality? Or should I connect using a USB DAC instead?

I'm hoping to get a REGA P3 turntable in future with Graham Slee phono stage (or is Black Cube better?) and with this in mind I just wanted to find out if it will play well with RWA amps?

Basically I just want to tweak my current set-up starting with a good amp that allows me to expand into exploring vinyl records. However, any suggestions/advice regarding wireless streaming would be much appreciated!

P.S: something regarding pre-amping - is it possible to pre-amp my SI T-amp with my current Azur integrated amp? If so, the volume pot on the T-amp should be turned to max and speaker cables connected to the T-amp while the source is connected to the Azur - did I get that right?

Hope it all made sense and thanks in advance!! :P

Cheers~!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Newbie to HiFi - some sound advice regarding RWA needed!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2006, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: chimaera
Hey guys (and gals!),

I'm new to hifi and been finding out a great deal as I go along. I've got some questions (without hopefully being daft) about building a system with my listening needs that I hope someone better informed than myself may help out with.
This is my current set-up:
1) Speakers - Blueroom Minipod Speakers (90db sensitivity)
2) Cambridge Audio Azur 540a amplifier
3) Sonic Impact T-amp
4) Source - iTunes via Airport Express
5) QED Silver Anniversary cables

Having experimented with ...

Hi Chimaera,

Welcome to audiocircle!

The upcoming Signature 30 (30 watts into 8-ohms) should be a very good match for your 90dB sensitive speakers, and you can plug your Airport Express directly into it (or phono stage....I know that the Black Cube works very well with it and we'll have this combo at the VTV show next weekend).  If you find that the 6-watts of the SI T-Amp provides enough power for your speakers and listening preference in volume output, the Lotus setup will blow your mind!  8)   If your budget is limited, all the upgrades of the Lotus can be built into a custom Clari-T:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/Clari_T_Customization.html

Feel free to email me (vinnie@redwineaudio.com) to discuss customization options that you would need and pricing info.

You can use the preamp section of your Azur to feed the input of your SI T-Amp....yes, simply set the volume of the SI to max and use the volume control of the Azur.  The source will connect to the inputs of your Azur.  You may or may not like the results better than connecting directly into your SI.  If you are running a Clari-T, Lotus, or Signature 30, then get that Azur away from them!  :mrgreen:

Best regards,

chimaera

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2006, 07:12 pm »
Hiya Vinnie,

Thanks for the detailed reply. At the moment I am more than happy pairing SI T-amp with my minipod speakers...the sound from these plastic boxes are unbelievable (well, for me at least!) That is why I've decided to take a plunge into T-Class amps instead of the usual mass market amps. I'm going to sell off my Azur as a matter of fact - using it as a preamp "flattens" out the sound without the warmth and focus of T-amp on its own. That's how i feel about it anyways, even though it'd be a shame to lose the remote control ability!

I'll most definitely wait for the upcoming Signature 30 and see what other options it adds to the mix. I'll definitely email you separately Vinnie regarding my listening needs and see what we can come up with.

Oh just found out about the dual monoblocks - can you explain how that works, and how it improves the sound? If I understand it correctly it uses a tripath chip for each channel isn't it?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2006, 11:05 pm »
Hi Chimaera,

I just responded to the email you sent me.  This should answer all your questions...

Best,

Vinnie