Anyone compared Linkwitz Orions and RM40s?

JoshK

« Reply #40 on: 2 May 2006, 12:08 am »
Quote from: ka7niq
Read all about it here Josh.
http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/PowerResp.html

That shows my point.  The dipole speaker has much less change in power response then the corresponding monopoles

Quote from: ka7niq
The directional characteristics of a driver are determined by baffle size and driver diameter. No getting around it Josh, as the frequency goes up, the tweeter gets more directional.

So it does for all the other drivers too. By the time the 8" W22 is up to the xo range its radiation pattern is fairly close to that of the tweeter.  It is a mistake to think that the radiation pattern of the W22 open baffle is dipole throughout its bandpass.  

The orion's objective was never for constant power response, but rather minimal change in power response while keeping the transitions gradual and slow.  

Which speaker "bounces" more energy off the walls, the monopole or the dipole?

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
« Reply #41 on: 2 May 2006, 12:44 am »
Quote from: JoshK
So it does for all the other drivers too. By the time the 8" W22 is up to the xorange its radiation pattern is fairly close to that of the tweeter.  It is a mistake to think that the radiation pattern of the W22 open baffle is dipole throughout its bandpass.  

I know that the W22 dont radiate much upward through it's Linkwitz 24 db bandpass.
It's below that bandpass that it is a dipole.
And that rearward directed energy, no matter if it is 4.8 db less in amplitude, will still carry the sonic signature of your rooms back wall/
The tweeter, which is dipolar by nature, and beams as frequency is increased, will not have the same sonic signature as the W22.

Like I said, you can "jazz" it up all you like, but it is still a direct/reflecting speaker.
Dr. Bose would be proud.

I very much enjoyed my time with Bose 901's back in the mid 70's!
I had 4 of em hanging from the ceilings powered by big Phase Linears playing Quadrophenia by the Who in discrete 4 channel.
For some reason, everyone wanted to party at my place, LOL
I bet many owners of this speaker we are discussing are quite happy with it, and good for them!

Many like a room sound, I do not.
Oh, I know, because it's a dipole, it has nulls, and 4,8 db "less" room sound ?
Maybe it does, but the room sound it does have is comprised of unequal reflections.
For me, and just for me, I would rather have all my sound reflecting from the same walls.
YMMV