Anybody using a ripper other than EAC?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 22 Apr 2006, 05:05 pm »
Just wondering what other rippers people are using and why they selected it over EAC.

I have used EAC for all my rips up till now (about 1100 cd's) but was just told about Easy CD-DA Extractor program.  You can read about it here:

http://www.poikosoft.com/

It appears to rip a little faster than EAC, but I haven't yet compared the audio quality.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2006, 05:37 pm »
I often use Nero, too.  It depends upon whether I'm looking for speed or quality.  Although now that I built a new PC EAC is a lot faster for me than it used to be.

kfr01

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2006, 06:03 pm »
My thoughts are this:

Easy CD-DA Extractor is relatively new to the "secure" or "error correction" game.

EAC, on the other hand, has been around; it is a known entitiy.  My EAC installation is already setup.  

I'd rather stick with a known entity than mess around with some new code that may or may not shave a minute off rip time.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2006, 06:12 pm »
FWIW I've ripped the same disk using EAC and EZCD-DA in secure mode and run a binary compare on the resultant files. They were bit identical. I ripped them to WAV so there would be possible compression differences.

Ideally this should be done with several disks but at least for the one I checked they did exactly the same job. I do like the convenience of EZCD-DA and I've been using it since about 1999, so he's not exactly new to the game although I don't know at what point he started adding the error detection/correction.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2006, 09:13 pm »
Stick with EAC and use AccurateRip, per the following instructions:

http://www.carltonbale.com/projects/cd_audio_extraction/

Its WAY easy to setup (15-20 minutes) and with AccurateRip, you can verify that the files you rip are the same as others who have also ripped the discs.

The one downfall to AccurateRip is that it is not entirely comprehensive.

-Jim

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2006, 07:35 am »
Started with EAC and found some discrepancies with the various instructions that were posted on line. Also found it a bit confusing and difficult for a novice like me. Bought Easy CD-DA  for about $30+/- and am very pleased.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:45 am »
I use iTunes on my Mac (storing with Apple Lossless).  Have been very happy with it...

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:38 pm »
I used EAC for a while...ripped half my collection with it.  But in addition to being less than intuitive IMO, I couldn't get it to rip my XRCDs.  I don't know whether the problem was a function of my drives or the program, but at the advice of someone I trust, I tried Easy CD/DA Extractor.

In my experience, Easy CD/DA Extractor is much easier and faster to use, and I've had no problem ripping any medium I've tried thus far.  Furthermore, to date I've seen not a single shred of evidence suggesting it is any less accurate or "bit perfect" than EAC.  In fact, what little evidence I’m aware of suggests the opposite.  I’ve made no bit-for-bit comparisons with EAC, but I have compared a couple of CDs ripped with each program (IOW, four .flac files, two for each disc).  Switching back and forth between the EAC-ripped version and the Easy CD/DA product revealed no differences I could detect.

If anyone is aware of a problem with the Easy CD/DA program, please allow the rest of us the benefit of your insight.  I'll happily discard the program and return to EAC.

tdangelo

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:41 pm »
I like/use DB Poweramp - fast, easy and accurate.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: Double Ugly
I used EAC for a while...ripped half my collection with it.  But in addition to being less than intuitive IMO, I couldn't get it to rip my XRCDs.  ...

That's really weird, because XRCDs are technically just regular redbook CDs...

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:30 pm »
Does Easy CD/DA work with AccurateRip?  I think only EAC and dBpowerAMP Music Converter do.

I am sure that Easy CD/DA can produce excellent results....maybe as good as EAC....but why leave any doubt?  With AccurateRip this doubt is minimized.

Following the link that I sent before, rips only take 7 or 8 minutes per disc.  Not bad at all!

Also, something that rarely gets discussed is the quality of the drive doing the ripping.  I bought a NOS Plextor Premium because of its well documented extraction capabilities.  

$90 drive + free EAC + free AccurateRip = Extremely accurate / verifiable rips

In the world of high priced audio gear.  This stuff is cheap!   :D

Btw, I have NO affiliation with anything.

Double Ugly

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:49 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Quote from: Double Ugly
I used EAC for a while...ripped half my collection with it.  But in addition to being less than intuitive IMO, I couldn't get it to rip my XRCDs.  ...

That's really weird, because XRCDs are technically just regular redbook CDs...

I know, and at first I thought I *had* to be doing something wrong.  But for whatever reason, I couldn't get it to work.

Since I've had no problem ripping them with Easy CD/DA, the problem appears to be with EAC itself, or a compatibility issue between it and both my drives (DVD and CD-RW).

User incompetence is still a very real possibility, too, but it no longer matters.

BrassEar

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2006, 04:59 pm »
iTunes with error correction to Apple lossless. Sounds just as good as EAC to me.