Yngwie Malmsteen - worth a look?

ohenry

« on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:23 am »
Okay metal meisters, Yngwie is coming to town complete with ruffled shirts, big hair and leather.  Should I sacrifice my money (20 big ones), ears and sleep to make the show?  Or should an old guy such as me spend Thursday, May 4th at home in the vomit-free safety zone resting up and carbo-loading for the Hornfest opening ceremonies?:lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:05 am »
Do both....you only live once !! (and $20.00 is not bad for a ticket.... my son just saw Jerry Lee Lewis the other nite...ticket price...$80.00 for the one hour show at B.B. Kings - NYC... :roll: )
    5/4 - The Neighborhood Theatre / Charlotte, NC
    [/list:u]

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:07 am »
    That depends - do you like Yngwie Malmsteen? :P  If it was an SRO type of gig and I thought I had a working chance of getting near the stage so that I could see his fingers I'd go, and I have only one lousy record of his I never listen to.  Shreddy type guitar dudes are always fun to watch live even if you don't necessarily love the music.  And at 20 bucks...what the hey.

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:19 am »
    I'd definately go, but i've been a fan for several years. The ticket price is certainly reasonable.

Tweaker

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2006, 08:56 am »
    Yngwie is an absolute master of string skipping and plays with breathtaking speed. He is also the most mind-numbingly souless guitarist I've ever heard in my life. But if you do go, whatever you do don't offer him a donut:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5374503581463563965&q=Yngwie+Getting+Pwned

wshuff

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2006, 12:36 pm »
    That donut thing just goes to show that you can find anything on the Internet.  I'll have to file that away with the video of Danzig getting knocked out in a hallway.   :lol:

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:24 pm »
    I've heard a few Yngwie songs in the past and found them to be interesting due the speed and uniqueness of his solos.  Although not accounted for, I figure that Rob Babcock would approve since he included an Yngwie cut on his metal compilation cd.

Not having heard any compelling reasons to stay home, I think I'll get that ticket. :rock:

ss397

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:50 pm »
    i saw him live in the early 90's at a small venue. if you like to see someone shred on a guitar you will enjoy it. the show was very high energy and theatrical. much better than listening to one of his cd's. i would go see him again myself.

gitarretyp

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:08 pm »
    Quote from: Tweaker
    He is also the most mind-numbingly souless guitarist I've ever heard in my life.

I would disagree on the feeling thing, but that's just my opinion. However, if you want complete lack of feeling, you should check out michael angelo http://www.angelo.com/. Amazingly proficient, but i get no feeling whatsoever from his playing.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
    « Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2006, 05:36 pm »
    Yngwie's later albums sucked, but his older stuff is sheer genius.  If he came within 500 miles of me I wouldn't miss the chance to see him.  IMOHO he's one of the greatest guitarists to ever live.  For 20 bucks I don't think you can go wrong. 8)