Interesting offer for Led Zeppelin devotees with $$$...

Double Ugly

LED ZEPPELIN 45RPM BOX SET (ROAD CASE) 200g 45rpm 44LP

$700 for 44 single-sided 12" 45s seems outrageous to me, but then I'm not a Zeppelin fanatic/collector.

Click here for more details from Elusive Disc.

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2006, 12:03 am »
So is it just me or are the drums on the first album just horribly horribly distorted?  Sounds like preamp overload or tape saturation or both.  It's weirding me out because I cannot recall Zep sounding so bad.  Am I romanticizing the past???

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2006, 02:31 am »
This is one of those things that may go up in price.  It happened with many of the Classic Records 45 RPM limited editions LP's they pressed years ago.  I bought an extra Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall on 45 RPM for $80 and sold it 3 years later on ebay for $350.

Michael

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2006, 02:42 am »
nathanm, thanks for giving me an excuse to listen to my freshly ripped flac files on my modded SB3 to LZI. Must be your pressing cause it sounds really fine off the remastered boxed set version.  :mrgreen:

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2006, 02:57 am »
My preferred LZ is I through III.  I just really liked the bluesy crunchy classic rock.  Cream, some of Jimi and early LZ are the bomb.  This has always defined rock in my mind.  Beatles were always pop to me.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2006, 11:02 am »
I don't know how old you are JoshK, but 'back in the day' pre 1966 rock was what we consider today, pop. It wasn't until '66 that 'progressive rock' had that raw bluesy feel you write about. Have you ever heard of Blue Cheer? WAY ahead of their time. John Mayall's 'Blues Breakers' spawned some of the greatest rock guitar players of all time.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2006, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: konut
John Mayall's 'Blues Breakers' spawned some of the greatest rock guitar players of all time.

...and the Yardbirds proved to be a pretty fair spawning ground as well  :D

Doug

BTW, I attended my very first live rock concert ever in 1967, at age 16...Jimi Hendrix in the Pacific Colloseum in Vancouver. I've never been the same since.

D.

ohenry

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:05 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
My preferred LZ is I through III.  I just really liked the bluesy crunchy classic rock.  Cream, some of Jimi and early LZ are the bomb.  This has always defined rock in my mind.  Beatles were always pop to me.

I hate to admit that it was almost 20 years before I realized that some of my favorite LZ songs were penned by some old blues greats.  Duh....

ohenry

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2006, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
So is it just me or are the drums on the first album just horribly horribly distorted?  Sounds like preamp overload or tape saturation or both.  It's weirding me out because I cannot recall Zep sounding so bad.  Am I romanticizing the past???

I bet they'll sound more accurately distorted at 45 rpm. :P But really, I'd imagine that your system is so much more revealing now than back in the day.  Just think of how it sounded on my dad's old massive Zenith console; pretty damn acceptable for the time.  That thing rocked the house (when he was away).

I wish they would sell the albums separately in a series, akin to what Ryko did in the late 1980's with the Bowie clear vinyl releases.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2006, 07:24 pm »
Quote from: ohenry
Quote from: JoshK

I hate to admit that it was almost 20 years before I realized that some of my favorite LZ songs were penned by some old blues greats.  Duh....

It was what inspired me to start checking out Willie Dixon and then Robert Johnson, etc.

FWIW, I am 30, so much of this music was recorded before I was born, but my father was a radio DJ during this era for a rock station and so I grew up knowing every artist, year recorded, relationship to other bands, etc.   It is what hooked me into a love of music as I see it.

Skynyrd

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2006, 12:57 am »
Josh,

I highly recommend Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" album.  It's a double, absolutely tactile and beautiful on vinyl.  Just get a vinyl copy for the great pictures, etc. and listen to the CD if you haven't got a record player.  This is my choice for music should I ever be stranded on a desert island and had only one album...

Check out John Paul Jones' solo material "Zooma" and "Thunderthief" and make sure to see him if he comes and tours with his newest, as of yet unreleased, third solo album.  He is just amazing.  Talented and makes you want to dance!

Did someone say Zeppelin!?!

Skynyrd weren't/aren't even close.

Skynyrd

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:17 am »
I have a record player and I believe I have PG on LP (got a lot of them on LP).  I don't really like LZ on CD.  Its a bit too shrill on CD for some reason.