Transformers for Hypex Amps in stock

Kevin Haskins

« on: 18 Apr 2006, 12:54 am »
We had some custom transformers made for our Hypex amplifier projects.

Here is the UCD700 Model

This is the UCD400 Model

And the UCD180 Model

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2006, 02:02 am »
fwiw, its a "Gauss" shield.

Occam

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2006, 02:25 am »
Josh - goss, as in grain oriented silicon steel..... a very understandable mistake, as you're not a total dork. :?

Kevin - kudos for making a toroid available 'off your shelf' that limits transmission of transverse mode noise, aka, the crap that pervades my AC lines. You da man!

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2006, 02:29 am »
Quote from: Occam
Josh - goss, as in grain oriented silicon steel.....

Kevin - kudos for making a toroid available 'off your shelf' that limits transmission of transverse mode noise, aka, the crap that pervades my AC lines. You da man!

Oh, them nm, my bad.  :oops:  I thought he was talking about Gauss as in the mathematician/scientist.

By the way, good price!  I just picked up a pair of 1kva shielded and screened plitrons off a dude on diyaudio, second hand.  They don't have the aux wiring and they were about the same price, so that is a darn good deal.

guest1632

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2006, 12:53 pm »
Josh - goss, as in grain oriented silicon steel..... a very understandable mistake, as you're not a total dork. :?

Hi Occam, What is this Transverse Mode Noise?

Ray

guest1632

Re: Transformers for Hypex Amps in stock
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:13 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
We had some custom transformers made for our Hypex amplifier projects.

Here is the UCD700 Model

This is the UCD400 Model

And the UCD180 Model

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:38 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
fwiw, its a "Gauss" shield.

Both are correct.... what a coincidence.   I wasn't thinking about either spelling actually, I just took it off the manufacure spec sheet while rushing to get the web development done.  

Gauss makes more sense to me though and sometimes I am a total dork Occam.  ;-)    

Have to run....

Kevin Haskins

Re: Transformers for Hypex Amps in stock
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:41 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk

Hi Kevin, Is it possible to get the 630Va with the higher voltage secondaries for the 400W? Thanks. -

Not from a practical standpoint.   If you are willing to order 100 transformers and wait 12-16 weeks...... yes.    Otherwise no.

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2006, 03:56 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
... and sometimes I am a total dork Occam.  ;-) ....

Well, I guess I should be flattered that my name can be used to describe the extent of dorkiness  :(   :lol:  :lol:

Hey Ray,

Transverse mode noise, aka normal mode noise, is simply noise that is not common (in both phase and amplitude) to 2 lines in signal/power transmission. In a transformer, if the same noise/signal is presented on both ends of a winding, their imposed flux is opposite and cancels. This is why signal transformers are often used at the input of components; it exhibits very high common mode noise rejection.

But the purpose of a transformer is to 'transform' voltage and current that is normal/transverse. A transformer has a hard time distinguishing between what is noise and what is signal. Toroidal transformers have many advantages. They are compact, efficient, and have minimal radiated fields. But because the primary and secondary are typically wound over each other, they have large interwinding capacitive coupling, and they pass noise between. [this capacitive coupling also compromises common mode rejection] The fix for toroids is to impose a grounded interwinding shield between the primary and secondaries. This provides a capacitive shunt to ground for noise. As line noise is typically high frequency in nature, the impedance of the shield's capacitve shunt to ground lowers in impedance with increasing frequency, it does exactly what we want it to do, minimally affect the signal, but attenuate noise.
Other types of transformers can also use interwinding shields, or use physical separation of the windings to limit capacitive coupling.

This explanation is somewhat simplified, but sufficiently boring...... :?

guest1632

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2006, 05:57 am »
Well, I guess I should be flattered that my name can be used to describe the extent of dorkiness  :(   :lol:  :lol:

Hey Ray,

Transverse mode noise, aka normal mode noise, is simply noise that is not common (in both phase and amplitude) to 2 lines in signal/power transmission. In a transformer, if the same noise/signal is presented on both ends of a winding, their imposed flux is opposite and cancels. This is why signal transformers are often used at the input of components; it exhibits very high commo ...

Hey Occam,

Thanks for the explanation.

Ray

ryno

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2006, 05:52 pm »
Kevin
I just got one of your transformers for a ucd400, the AV fron my kit had a bad hum. I just want to make sure I don't mess up the connections.
The output looks easy, yel to 0, and 2 org to ~ on the power supply.
The input from the softstart looks different fron my AV, do you just use one pair of wires from the softstart, brn to 0, and blu to 115?
Also, what fuse should I use with this transformer?
I have room to add another power supply, would I see an improvement by having a supply for each amp module?
Thanks, Ryan

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2006, 04:22 pm »
Here is a simple diagram I'm using in the Multi-channel amplifier documentation.

The primary is different only in that it has three wires.   The Brown & Blue are the two wires to use for a 115VAC mains.   The White wire on the primary is for 230VAC use.

The other wire that may confuse people is the yellow/green striped wire.   That is for grounding the electrostatic shield between the primaries & secondary.   It should be grounded to the chassis.