Listening to modded SB2s--Isolation and coupling differences

Wayne1

I took a little time off yesterday afternoon and went over the mgalusha's for a short listening session.

We compared a few different SB2s with mods. Two had the same mods, which were all of the Sonicap bypasses and having BlackGate caps in certain internal PS location. The other two were Mike's and my personal units. These are about the same as the other two but have Silver Slipstream Bybees in the analog outs.

The two without the Bybees sounded very similar to us. One did not have very much break-in time and it was obvious. The highs were somewhat tilted up and the low end missing a bit. There was a decided "house" sound to the two.

Mike's and mine sound quite a bit different from the non Bybee pair. The Silver Slipstream Bybees clearly elevated the sound to another level. No harshness, just the full range of music coming through.  The silver Slipstream Bybees ARE expensive but they do bring the sound of the SB closer still to the sound of live instruments. The cost of the MODS alone are close to $900.00. I do believe that they sound quite a bit better than a comparably priced DAC would with a stock SB. Of course, you then have to factor in even more money for the power supply  :wink:

We also spent a small amount of time comparing different methods of coupling the SB to a shelf. I was sent a pair of Ebony "pucks" for evaluation. I was told these are somewhat similar to the Shun Mook Mpingo discs.

We first listened to the SB just sitting on a shelf of Mike's rack. Then we placed two of the pucks under the SB case. There WAS a diference. The highs became less harsh and the bass tightened up. It was easily repeatable. We then tried a pair of Herbie's Audio Lab Isolation footers. The lows became very muddy. Mike pulled out a pair of NOS tubes to place under the SB and the sound became VERY harsh.

Our conclusion is that the coupling of the SB to the shelf it sits on DOES make a difference. In each enviroment, what works best for you may be different . I do encourage each one of you to try different materials to see what works best for you. At least in Mike's system, the very hard wood puck seem to sound the best as direct coupling from the case to the shelf.

Tweaker

« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2006, 06:33 pm »
I have three Mapleshade Conepoints point up under my SB2 and it makes a noticeable improvement in overall sound quality. I also have a Mapleshade Heavyhat on top which also adds to the improvement. (I have to use a small piece of double back tape to keep it from sliding off and it's an SB2. The design of the SB3 probably makes it a bit difficult to add any weights!).

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2006, 07:39 pm »
I was quite surprised at the effect of the little hardwood disks. I really didn't expect anything to happen but figured since Wayne had them it certainly was worth a try. I dropped them under the SB2 and was surprised to notice the bass tighten up and a little more delicacy in the highs. We removed and replaced them a few times and observed a consistent and nice improvement. Nothing large but nice nonetheless.

Just to clarify, I stuck the pair of 6SN7's under the SB as a joke. They happened to be sitting them from some tube rolling in my preamp. 8)

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2006, 02:57 pm »
I have spent some time looking into the puck. It seems they are built from Ebony and other hardwoods. I am discussing bringing them into the US for resale.

The end price will be determined by shipping and customs cost. Right now it looks like somewhere around $30.00 a puck.

If any of you are interested, please let me know.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2006, 03:20 pm »
Wayne - based on the size, shape and weight of the SB2/3, what do you recommend for number, and location of pucks for this application?

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2006, 04:04 pm »
I currently only have two pucks on hand. I have tried them on a SB3 as well as my SB2. With two pucks, both the SB2 and 3 show improvements. The SB2 had them under the case in the long axis. The SB3 had one in the middle under the case and one in the middle under the bar.

If everything works out and I can get more, I will let you know if I find any other improvements, such as using them under or on top of the power supply.

Den

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2006, 11:12 am »
Quote from: Tweaker
. . .The design of the SB3 probably makes it a bit difficult to add any weights!.

Sandbag.   :)

kmcdonou4eq5

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2006, 02:34 pm »
I wonder if the same effect would occur if using Herbie's ebony domes http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/dome.htm.  They are a lot cheaper, but it might be hard for the SB to set on the domes without falling off.

Jampot

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2006, 02:45 pm »
I guess 3 domes would be required and there may not be room - but then thats $30 any way.

I wonder, could the bar (on the SB3) be used to 'clamp' the unit to the block and achieve something similar to a weight?

Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2006, 05:58 pm »
Quote from: kmcdonou4eq5
I wonder if the same effect would occur if using Herbie's ebony domes http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/dome.htm.  They are a lot cheaper, but it might be hard for the SB to set on the domes without falling off.

I have a few sets if Herbie's older gabon ebony balls + square cup (not the newer round one) that I can try under my SB2.  Currently I use some machined bearings.

George

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2006, 04:11 pm »
I have been able to work out a small order with the manufacturer of the Ebony Puck. I should be getting a couple of dozen here shortly.

They will sell for $30.00 each. When they arrive I will offer them on the BOLDERCable website.

Here is the picture I was sent of the pucks.

Boybees

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2006, 10:16 pm »
Wayne, what is your recommendation for an SB3, both in number of pucks and how to place them? Thanks.

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2006, 11:23 pm »
I used two pucks with both a SB 2 and 3. For the 3 I used one in the center under the case and one in the center under the bar.

When the pucks show up here I will post some pictures. The pair I had, I lent out for a demo.

Wayne1

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2006, 09:03 pm »
The pucks have arrived :dance:

I have added them to the BOLDERCable website here

I have a couple of dozen on hand. I also received some samples of some other products by the same company. A set of LARGE "feet"

Some damper rings for RCA connectors

and some tube hats.

I will be experimenting with these in the coming weeks and I will post my thoughts.

BTW, mgalusha and I were playing with the small pucks and attatched one to the center of his wall behind his speakers with a small amount of Blu-Tac. This wall is part of a brick fireplace. We WERE able to hear a difference in the image from his speakers.