Updated Review of RM40s

john1970

Updated Review of RM40s
« on: 15 Apr 2006, 11:34 am »
To all,

All of the initial QC issues that I noted in my initial review have been resolved through VMPS customer service.  The speakers sound absolutely stunning even in my near field (~9ft.) listening enviroment.  

THE REVIEW:

Bass:

My previous system prior to the VMPS was a pair of Linn Index speakers coupled to a pair of REL Strata III subs.  I find that the VMPS bass goes just as low, but does not as readily excite room nodes as the REL subs.  I am quite sure that this was due to corner loading of both REL subs.  Note that with out corner loading the REL Strata III subs produced little deep bass.  The only other speakers I have listened to are my father's Bozak Concert Grands (circa 1970).  The Bozak bass still has an edge.  However with 4 x 12" drivers per a speaker it should.  Note the Bozaks are HUGE at 36" wide x 48" height x 20" depth (too big for me).

Midrage:

Among the best I've ever heard.  Instruments sound live and female vocals sound as close to as live as you can get without actually going to the concert.   :)

Treble:

I have the treble pot at 12:30 and overall enjoy the sound.  On some recordings the treble may be a bit too warm (or hot).  However, on other recordings it sound perfect.  IMO the speaker are just accurately revealing what is on the recording.  :)

Quality/Value:

VMPS delivers on this as well even with the inital QC issues.  The bass drivers used in RM40s are much better drivers than those used in the REL strata III subs (I know I've examined them both!).  The RM40 comes with 8 drivers per a channel (7 active / 1 passive) @ price that is very fair (<5K with discounts).  I have seen plenty of "audiophile speakers" in stores that have fewer drivers that readily cost 2+ times or more than the VMPS RM40.  THANK YOU BRIAN FOR BUILDING A REASONABLY PRICED SPEAKER!

Overall:

Due to VMPS excellent customer service in resolving some initial QC issues and the excellent sound and value that this speaker represents I highly recommend that anyone looking at speakers in the 5K range to audition this speaker.  Many of my QC issues could have been resolved by ordering an upgraded (MLS) cabinet, but I wanted an oak finish to match the oak furniture that is currently in the living room.  

Cheers,

John

meilankev

Updated Review of RM40s
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2006, 01:56 pm »
John,

Thanks for typing up this review.  After all, the only reason forums like this work is because members take time out of their day to post their personal experiences.

It's great you were able to find a speaker that you are so satisfied with.  There are many, many other speakers for an audiophile to select from in this ultra-competitive price range.  And since everyone will have different upstream components, different system goals, and different personal preferences, no one speaker could possibly impress everyone.

The key is finding the speaker (or other component) that fits your situation.  And it looks like you've done a great job.

Congrats,
Kevin