Almost forgot how good RM40s sound

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« on: 14 Apr 2006, 02:15 am »
My speakers were down about 3-4 weeks due to blown tweeters.
I guess thats what I get for trying new amps. :o
Received my new tweeters today put them in and wow these sound good. :D
I have several other good speakers that I was using, but I am glad to have the RM40s back :!:
Lin

john1970

It must be good to have them back
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2006, 02:49 am »
Lin,

Glad to hear you got them back up and running.  The RM40 is a wonderful sounding speaker.  I am amazed that you were able to blow the tweeter.  It must have been a huge amplifier.  Just out of curiosity what type of amp caused this to occur.  This past evening I left the doors closed on my AV rack and my NAD C372 went into thermal protect mode during a loud passage of a movie.  Next time, I will remember to leave the doors ajar and turn the volume down a few dB.  

Cheers,

John  :D

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2006, 02:56 am »
Hello John,
Sorry I wasn't very clear, there was something wrong with one of the monoblocs it smelled like someone was welding in my living room. :cry:
(ribbon mids and tweets burning)
I was suprised that there was not more damage.

John Casler

Re: Almost forgot how good RM40s sound
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2006, 06:35 am »
Quote from: opnly bafld
My speakers were down about 3-4 weeks due to blown tweeters.
I guess thats what I get for trying new amps. :o
Received my new tweeters today put them in and wow these sound good. :D
I have several other good speakers that I was using, but I am glad to have the RM40s back :!:
Lin

Hi Lin,

I feel the same way every time I sit in the sweet spot, and I seldom go a day without at least a cut.

While I have the 30s and not the 40's, they have many sonic things in common.

The 3rd Cut on my Buddy Guy Album (Damn Right I Got the Blues) called "Five Long Years" has been deserving of the honors lately.  

The imaging and soundstage on this cut is incredible.

When the Piano comes in at the left I can hear the actual placement of the High Frequency keys (which are further to the left ever so slightly outside the left speaker) as compared to the Middle Keys which are just to the inside of the left speaker.

Tony Platt (engineer) was a genius here.

And as a side note, I see that also on the CD are Clapton, Beck, and Knoffler (if anyone knows who they are)

It is incredibly good.

Last week end I had a Led Zepplin festival and just couldn't beleive those classic Rock'n Blues cuts recorded more than 20 years ago.

It is no small feat for a speaker to be able to sound great with most all types of music from Classical Symponies, to Classic Rock, and the RM40 (and the whole RM series) is even good with Rap and Big Band

Reminds me to pull out Quincy Jone's "Juke Joint". (Which strangely enough is a mixture of Big Band and Rap :o )

Glad to hear your pair is back in the aural loop :mrgreen:

audiochef

wow
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2006, 11:55 pm »
I too have been listening to another set of awsome speakers for the last six months .  They're fine and exiting. But upon the re-hookup of  the mighty 40s, I really realize they are in a class of their own.

I've never owned a set of speakers that had me pull out tune after tune after tune.

John Casler

Re: wow
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2006, 02:31 am »
Quote from: audiochef
I too have been listening to another set of awsome speakers for the last six months .  They're fine and exiting. But upon the re-hookup of  the mighty 40s, I really realize they are in a class of their own.

I've never owned a set of speakers that had me pull out tune after tune after tune.

I agree.

I was over at a clients house this morning, and he has a pair of Ebony RM40s and Not only did they sound great, but I just couldn't take my eyes off them.

While they are huge, they are not "overstated or gaudy", and blend well with the decor.  (Nice place Warren :wave: )

Also yesterday, I took the time to "fire up" my vinyl system after a few months of being unplugged, and I simply couldn't stop.

Out came Frampton's Frampton, Soft Parade by the DOORs, Ten Years After's Greatest Hits, SUperTramp's Crime of the Century, and Brother Where You Bound, Don McClean's American Pie, and a couple others.

I don't mean a couple cuts, I mean ALL THE WAY THROUGH BOTH SIDE A and B!!! :o

What a treat :mrgreen:

I really hadn't broken in the cantilever of my new cartridge and this certainly went a long way into doing that.  

The bass "REALLY" was opening up at the end.  Vinyl bass can be quite special when it is good.

And the vinyl vocals are hard to describe.  Just so natural.

Also in the "OVERKILL" dept.  

I had a pair of $2900 speaker cables (AudioQuest Volcanoes) that I wasn't using, so I now run them to my front subs.  My Pair of LARGER SUBS in the frontal array absolutely love me :inlove:

They not only get fed a Pair of NuFORCE Ref 9 monoblocs but they get a $2900 straw to drink with :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I just couldn't get out of the chair, except to flip from side A to side B :wink: