BI-Amping 802D's

FUN4JT

BI-Amping 802D's
« on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:41 am »
I have a Modwright 9SE and a pair of B&W 802D's inroute. While the Ref 9'S really match up well with the 805S's I wondering if I should consider bi-amping the 802's by adding a pair of 8.5's. Or will the Ref 9's suffice?

paul canady

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2006, 06:14 am »
Keep the 9's and look into upgrading those to the 9se. I think you would be way ahead. I know someone that had bi-amped 9's and sold the other pair. I have JM Labs electra 936's and a pair is plenty.

ndeslions

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:18 pm »
I agree : one pair will be enough, the Ref9 are powerful.

sikoniko

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:40 pm »
I have one pair on my 802N's. Im not convinced 1 pair is enough. When I first got them, I took them to my dealer to compare with the krell 700w he had. The krell beat it hands down. It had more detail. Keep in mind that the nuforce were not broken in yet though. I plan on taking them back to a/b again now that they are broken in, but I still believe the main issue was lack of power. The SE would probably be a good upgrade though. I heard it is more enveloping.

FUN4JT

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:32 pm »
Sorry folks, I should have clarified I have 9SE's. Thanks for the advice and I will advise with my impressions once all is up and running...

paul canady

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:52 pm »
These amps are designed to be more on the lean side. Very open and detailed with a huge stage. Base is super tight and fast. I dont use anything tubed yet, but I can imagine a tubed cdp or pre would be a great combo with these. If you wanted a richer sound. They give you that ability to design the sound you want.
Try using both copper and silver cables or a hybrid mix. I use a upgraded Denon 2900 from the upgrade company along with the Nuforce p8 pre and the sound is much more life like. I highly recommend getting a cdp upgraded by the upgrade company, the difference from stock is amazing. This is a great value combination.

paul canady

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2006, 04:09 pm »
fun4jt, Let us know how those sound after 200 hrs.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2006, 04:33 pm »
talk about adding tubes to your nuforce gear, added a ear 834p phono pre, to my ref9, p8, and let me just say this WOW, its like looking out at the grand canyon, beautiful and wide open, got me wondering if i need to try a tubed preamp instead of the p8,

paul canady

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2006, 05:13 pm »
beachbum, I guess it all boils down to the sound you are looking for at this point. As you know the p8 is no slouch it compliments the amps. No coloration, just music. I just heard that the Theta Compli universal cdp upgraded is off the charts.

FUN4JT

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2006, 07:42 pm »
I had the chance to audition the ModWright with my Ref 9se's and the 805S's
and my impression was a smoother sound without being reserved. Definitely provided a sense of softness, not Macintosh soft just  a refining of the edges.

Paul, "Try using both copper and silver cables or a hybrid mix. ", interconnects of speaker cables? I'm using Synergistic Reasearch Active
quads for the speakers with Tributarys for the amp / pre-amp interconnects.
Pleased with the Active quads, the jury is still out with the Tributarys.
And yes, the next step is to upgrade the cdp. Modwright massaged Denon's
have my ear at the moment but who knows.
Will advise once I have a few hrs on the kit...

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2006, 03:16 am »
Paul i am happy with the sound i have right now with my system, and i love my ref9 p8 combo, the 834p brought a sweet refinement to the over all sound, i use lps for most of my sit down listening, i have a VIP Aries 3 on order and i am sure that its introduction to my system will have a impact also, our systems are in a constant involvement, i wonder if there audiophiles out there that get it where they want and sit on it, its tough here in new orleans for auditioning equipment, so when i get a few extra dollars i put it in something that will make the listening better, well signing off for more rock and roll,

FUN4JT

NuForce 9se's and B&W 802D's
« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2006, 05:46 am »
Picked up my 802D's today. No problem with the 9SE's driving them, didn't push em too hard but enough to determine that bi-amping is not a necessity.
Still using the Rotel 1062 for driving the NuForce's, nice clean sound, not as edgy as with the 805S's. Still waiting on my ModWright pre-amp, should be in about the time the 802D's break in.
My 805S's were nice but no comparison to the 802D's, glad I made the investment. More updates once the ModWright arrives.

sikoniko

BI-Amping 802D's
« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2006, 07:40 pm »
Im using ref9's to push my N802's. Any chance you know anyone with the regular ones that you could compare the SE to?