It's been slow in our neighborhood.

kyyuan

« on: 11 Apr 2006, 08:07 pm »
:?   Next Jam?

arthurs

« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:39 am »
I'll have one, the pool and all are about done....a bunch of equipment changes ahead for me so timing may be dependent on those...maybe late May????

brj

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:12 am »
Sorry guys... I've been a bit busy lately and somewhat distracted by - at long last - the "birth" of my own audio system.  Anyway, my apologies for not posting a jam request earlier.  Hopefully, I'll be able to host one early this summer, once I get the current kinks worked out of my new system and deal with a few other issues.

Art, thanks for the offer to host!  Your new, dedicated listening room is likely to be the envy of any that can attend.  (Any progress on the IB sub idea?)

Is there anyone able to sneak in hosting duties for a get-together prior to late May?  (Ken, demo gear in the house is a great excuse! :D)

kyyuan

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2006, 04:39 am »
"Is there anyone able to sneak in hosting duties for a get-together prior to late May? (Ken, demo gear in the house is a great excuse!"

Just waiting on Mr. Bob Smith from SP Tech for that Timepiece 2.1.  I have yet to hear back from him regarding the shipping status.  When, and if, it gets here, I'll host a quickie.

Ken

Jampot

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2006, 05:44 am »
Your timing is great Ken.

Arthurs pool will surely be a great place to be with the heat you are all having just now, but I am only visiting from 4/28 to 5/15 - and those are travel days.

It would be great to follow up our visit to Marv's in January by having a get together in Keller - we have accumulated some 'minimalist' items since then, a pair of Omega Super 3's, an 'everything in' Red Wine Clari-T (as well as a standard unit) and 3 SB3s! The possibility to have the same tunes playing on the main rig and 'in sync' in 2 other locations at the same time is novel!

Are people off work and available Labour Day? That would suit the wife / daughter best for us to host, though we could visit 29th,30th April or 14th May. (Doing the tourist thing the middle weekend).

I would love to hear a tube pre in front of the Clari-T (anyone got Gary's battery powered job on loan!) and the RWA iMod is burned in and sounding great.

Be happy to have folks over but if Labour Day is reserved for family (or what ever) it would be good to catch up somewhere else.

Hope something is possible.

Jim

brj

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2006, 08:04 am »
Hi Jim - good to hear from you again!

Quote from: Jampot
I am only visiting from 4/28 to 5/15 - and those are travel days.

Even should a formal jam not quite fit your schedule, I suspect that someone in the DFW area can host a personal audition or two for audiophiles visiting from overseas! :)

I know you expressed some interest in hearing the Salk HT3s, but I'm not sure my pair will be running by then.  The speakers are here, but the external crossovers are out for some re-work.  (I also have yet to obtain a respectable source, much less figure out room treatments.)  This is a bit unfortunate, as I live just barely outside of Keller.

Quote from: Jampot
It would be great to follow up our visit to Marv's in January by having a get together in Keller - we have accumulated some 'minimalist' items since then, a pair of Omega Super 3's, an 'everything in' Red Wine Clari-T (as well as a standard unit) and 3 SB3s!

Actually, whether minimalist or not, I find that system very intriguing!  Are any of the SB3s modded?

Quote from: jampot
Are people off work and available Labour Day? That would suit the wife / daughter best for us to host, though we could visit 29th,30th April or 14th May. (Doing the tourist thing the middle weekend).

I'll be out of town during the Memorial Day weekend and the adjoining two weekdays, but should another day open up outside of that, I'd be interested in hearing your "local" system! :)

Quote from: jampot
I would love to hear a tube pre in front of the Clari-T (anyone got Gary's battery powered job on loan!) and the RWA iMod is burned in and sounding great.

I don't know if Danny even has the new pre-amp yet, and he is likely to be at the top of the list.  Gary lives about an hour from Keller, so if he has one available, transport for a weekend "tour" might be possible.  Otherwise, the pre-amp closest in sound would probably be Arthurs' pre-amp, which is Gary's previous reference model.  (Gary considers his new model to be somewhat superior, but his previous reference was very well received, although AC powered and a completely different topology.)

Jampot

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2006, 06:07 pm »
Hi Brian,

Are any of the SB3s modded?

Not yet - I haven't heard them even! We do have a couple of linear power supplies that were explored in this thread -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24912&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

(They are the ones described as 'freakin' huge by bubba!) but they need terminating when I arrive.

For sure, whether there is any take up for holiday Monday or not we could arrange for you to come by some evening, if you are close enough for that.

Be in touch

Jim

Jampot

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2006, 12:37 pm »
Update:

Perhaps labour / memorial day isn't so good....

Brian, I just snagged this

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27490&highlight=

a decent dac would be good to hear!

Be happy to bring the squeeze box, laptop and external hard drive to visit if anyone has a proposal. (wireless networking not required, for jam purposes I can bring a cross over cable)

Jim

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2006, 01:37 pm »
Brian, Just get your room treatments in order and we'll bring everything else. Just let us know when you're ready.

Ken, I look forward to hearing those SP Tech's. They have sounded really good everytime I have heard them.

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2006, 04:32 pm »
I'm up for whatever, just keep me posted.

On the topic of a larger event at my house, we had a serious water and mud issue this week on the new deck and pool, will probably take some time, and I suspect some attorneys, to sort this out.  Fun stuff.... :nono:

brj

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2006, 06:30 pm »
Quote from: Danny
Brian, Just get your room treatments in order and we'll bring everything else. Just let us know when you're ready.

I'm working on it, but my crossovers are currently closer to you than they are to me!  (Jeff has them.)  Hopefully I'll have the speakers sorted out in a couple of weeks, and the rest will follow in a couple of months.  Who knows, by then I may even have a modded USB DAC 60... any news on that yet?  No?  How about now? :lol:

In the meantime, it looks like we might be able to arrange small get-togethers at Jim's "local" home, Ken's place, and maybe Art's - if the flooding recedes!

Speaking of room treatments... Art, did you ever find out if you had access to pipe insulation?  I can think of two particular places in my room that might benefit from it, aside from possible floor standing bass traps...

Quote from: arthurs
On the topic of a larger event at my house, we had a serious water and mud issue this week on the new deck and pool, will probably take some time, and I suspect some attorneys, to sort this out.

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that, Art!  Mud and water damage are bad enough, but the need to bring in lawyers sounds really ominous...

arthurs

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2006, 06:46 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts Brian, I'm really hoping cooler heads prevail in what should only be a couple thousand bucks for repair and rerouting of water.....

I will get back after the pipe insulation, I can definitely get it, but need to get sizes and costs....

If we need a larger room, the upstairs room remains unaffected by any and all waters and mud :D so we can do if it works out that I need to...

Jampot

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:42 pm »
Danny and Brian,

You have to be winding me up!

I emailed Danny today to ask if I could bring a Dac60 home to the UK at the end of my visit - he says 'maybe' and IF we get  mini jam going he will come over with it!

Please, pretty please, let's do it!

Phoar, I'm exhausted by all those exclamation marks.

Jim

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2006, 10:07 pm »
can't wait everyone!! here's my latest system morph.
the denon is sold and replaced by an usher r 1.5 power amp, http://www.usheraudio.com/R-1.5.html , the dodd preamp has been redone by gary to include an outboard transformer and choke added and sonicap platinum bypass caps added.
jim don't forget to bring us some new artists to add to our collections.

marvin

marvda1

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2006, 10:10 pm »
brian, any pictures of your ht3's anywhere?
marvin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2006, 09:56 am »
Quote from: marvda1
can't wait everyone!! here's my latest system morph.
the denon is sold and replaced by an usher r 1.5 power amp, http://www.usheraudio.com/R-1.5.html  ....
Hello Marvin....Any comments on the Usher amp ? Thanks. :D
    Chris[/list:u]

oscar

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:22 pm »
Since I had just had an event, I'll defer to hosting a meeting for at least a few months.  I should have a new preamp to experiment with by then and may tinker with a new set of amps (funds permitting).  I might even get some speakers (cheap) and convert the formal living area to dedicated 2-channel stereo room.  How to make the living room "acoustically friendly" and maintain a high WAF could be an interesting challenge.

Jampot

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2006, 09:50 pm »
Only a week now to our proposed mini jam in Keller. I think (having exchanged PMs) that Marv is in and brj can't manage (but he is close by and will visit some evening).

Can we look forward to a few more to help things go with a buzz, or is an alternative venue possible In the next couple of weeks?

Oscar you will be very welcome(the ladies may even be able to help out with entertainment for a few youngsters if that makes it easier for anyone).

Does anyone have soldering skills? I still have to terminate the Squeeze box power supplies!

I'm getting demob happy - we fly Friday.

Jim

marvda1

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2006, 10:19 pm »
danny, have you talked to gary and the gang?  i sent gary an email with a link to this thread.

marvin

marvda1

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2006, 10:23 pm »
jim, is saturday the 29th the set date?
marvin