SB Basic PS

BRN

SB Basic PS
« on: 9 Apr 2006, 01:33 pm »
I currently have a Bolder SB2 with all the upgrades, digital and analog with gen I gen II and platinum caps, and the basic PS Rev1. I first had Wayne do the full mod without the gen II and platinum caps. The sound was very good via the SB2's analog out, especially in the highs and bass, beating the sound of my RAKK DAC in those areas. The midrange on the SB2 was not as detailed and was a bit recessed, not as detailed as the DAC. I read Wayne’s post and spoke to him about how the addition of the caps mproved the sound, in addition I read on the Sonic Craft webpage about how the addition of gen II and platinum small value caps improves the midrange, so I sent my SB back to Wayne for the caps. After a long break-in, about three weeks of continuous play I sat down for a listen. I was blown away by the improvement to the sound. The sound was now the way I wanted it, balance from the bass through the high frequencies. It just sounds right to me, better then my CD-Pro2M with RAKK DAC ever did. This is with the basic PS. Thanks Wayne.

I have been reading about the new PS and I'm not sure which way to go. Do I keep my current setup or do I do one of the upgrades? I don't want to spend the money on the best or better, but maybe do the Jensen mods to the basic or get the good? Are the differences between the two that great? Any insight on the two PS would be greatly appreciated.

It is Rev1

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
SB Basic PS
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2006, 01:46 pm »
I went from the basic to the deluxe to the best and while there is a great dela of improvement between each step, I can't stress enough how good the "best" really is.  If you can afford it, I would absolutely recommend going this route.

Each day I find myself spending more and more time in front of the system and it is all because of that PS!!

Wayne or maybe some of the Denver crew can tell you the incremental improvements by just adding the jensen caps.  I had other gear modified with Jensen caps and they definitely help.

George

Wayne1

SB Basic PS
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2006, 03:39 pm »
The original Basic PS cannot be upgraded.

The Basic Rev 1 can be. The difference is in the size of the case. Even the small Jensen caps take up a fair amount of room.

In terms of bang for the buck, The Good PS delivers. The Jensen caps and Nitro DC cable make the "biggest" improvements. The Bybees and the Silver wire all make improvments, but it is a bit more subtle.

If you have a very high resolution system, the better and best PS might be worth it to you.