what's the most musical BIG speaker for small tubes????

2bigears

« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:54 am »
B&W 802 s3 .moved those to ht.maybe i should sell the VAC.Kevin said 30/30's kinda act like more like 50w than 32's.i am amateur audio ...i should have bought the speakers first. :)  :)  :o  :)  :)

Al Garay

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:54 am »
Have you spoken to Al Wooley from RAW Acoustics? It's a short trip from Edmonton to Vancouver BC (Surrey).

Follow this thread on his 95db tower:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25792

And John Chapman (who loves tube amps, from BentAudio)'s impression
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27076

Since you are having trouble deciding, working with Al is a safe option.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:59 am »
Quote from: Al Garay
Have you spoken to Al Wooley from RAW Acoustics? It's a short trip from Edmonton to Vancouver BC (Surrey).

Follow this thread on his 95db tower:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25792

And John Chapman (who loves tube amps, from BentAudio)'s impression
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27076

Since you are having trouble deciding, working with Al is a safe option.
Thats a good idea AL....he can make a road trip with his amp for a listen with the speakers.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 8 Apr 2006, 07:04 am »
Quote from: 2bigears
B&W 802 s3 .moved those to ht.maybe i should sell the VAC.Kevin said 30/30's kinda act like more like 50w than 32's.i am amateur audio ...i should have bought the speakers first. :)  :)  :o  :)  :)
Maybe ? But you seem to be looking for a smooth, big sound....but not too big or it will overpower your room.
    Times up for me....I'll get some sleep...nite. :wink: [/list:u]

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 8 Apr 2006, 07:06 am »
yes,i have thought of the Apex.here again,i am not sure 32w will power those ... :)  :)  :o  :)  :)

Parnelli777

« Reply #25 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:34 pm »
I'll 2nd the suggestion for the Avantgarde Uno. Or the Duo used. You really ought to try and find a dealer and have a listen to these- with your amp. They really do just about everything right.

Your VAC amp is a keeper, imo. 30 watts is way more than enough. 100dB with the Uno, 103dB with the Duo. A buddy has Duo horns paired with a 20 watt Graaf OTL, and the sound these things make is stunning.

The whole frickin' room disappears.

And you want loud- 30 watts and these will blow you out of the room and into the neighbors living room if you like.

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:43 pm »
hi 777,thks for that.man those speakers must be good as they come up often.i would love to hear those.they were made for tubes of coarse.i have a set of Coincident TV-1's also on the short list,these have 9 drivers a side,sooo you have 18 drivers feeding you information???? anyone heard these??? nightshift done. sleepytime

Jason1

« Reply #27 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:55 pm »
Another option is Tyler Acoustic's new Pro Dynamics series.

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/pro_dynamics.html

I don’t know of anyone who's heard them yet, but they definitely meet your criteria.

mca

« Reply #28 on: 8 Apr 2006, 05:13 pm »
:D  :)  :o  8)  :nono:  :?  :lol:  :lol:  :x  :oops:  :oops:  :cry:  :evil:  :evil:  :roll:  :?:  :idea:  :!:  :|  :wink:  :oops:  :cry:  :lol:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :?  :?  :?  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

JoshK

« Reply #29 on: 8 Apr 2006, 05:17 pm »
thks lonewolfny42.that get together was inconclusive for sure.is there any other speaker makers using huge bass drivers with horns that work well with little tubes.quality is a must. :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

www.pispeakers.com
Zingali of Italy
TAD and Pioneer's top notch TAD trickle down tech
Geddes' Summa

Hogg

« Reply #30 on: 8 Apr 2006, 05:49 pm »
Try the dual-concentricsby Tannoy.  They are pricey but love tubes.

gonefishin

« Reply #31 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:23 pm »
Hi there :)

Having heard a good number of spekaers using JBL (242X and 244X), TAD (2001 and 4001), Altec's drivers to name a few...plus the AdvantGarde Uno and Duo, Coincident UHS Series (yeah right), Silverline, reference 3a and a bunch more...

I wouldn't make a decision to spend 10K+ without also considering the EdgarHorn TiTan (I and II) systems.  

Good luck...and have fun!

dan

Scott F.

« Reply #32 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:23 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Condensed :
    13 x 17 room[/list:u]
      Medium loud music - all types[/list:u]
        30 watt tube amp[/list:u]
          Sing softly - less analytical[/list:u]
            Bigger sound - engulfed in music[/list:u]
              Totally disappear - non fatiguing[/list:u]
                Easy to live with[/list:u]
                  Your words ....your profile.[/list:u]

Hiya Guys,

2bigears, what you are looking for is a tough task. First thing, be careful on so called 'high efficient' speaker design. Even thought a speaker may be 94db, it may not be able to be driven with a tube amp with a very small damping factor. You need something designed with tubes in mind.

You are looking for something that isn't overly analytical but has a BIG sound. IMO that takes speakers like front or rear loaded horns out of the picture. It also excludes speakers like Lowthers and Fostex.

My very first guess at what you are looking for is Audio Note. I know these speakers very well and they do what you are looking for. That said, you need to hear them before you decide. Audio Note has a few distributors here in teh states, mainly on the east coast. They are located Connecticut (Dave Cope at Triode &Company) West Palm Beach, FL, Amherst, MA, Lincoln University, PA, and McLean, VA. If you are nowhere near any of these guys, call Dave and see if he might setup an audition for you in your home. You never know, but since you are spending a fair sum on speakers, he just might do it.

I'd go for the AN-E/SPe HE which starts at $6,425 depending on what options you choose. These could be exactly what you are looking for. They play music. No glitz, no embellishment, non-fatiguiging, plenty of detail to satisfy that hunger and they are extremely tube friendly. Your little PP will be happy as a clam driving these as will you ears.

Here are a couple pics. The AN/E is the largest of the speakers shown.
http://www.triodeandco.com/prodcat04.html

Here are the specs.
http://www.audionote.co.uk/

You might want to consider Reference 3A's. The  L'INTEGRAL NOUVEAU is a nice speaker and sits just above 92db. They would be happy behind your amp also.
http://www.reference3a.com/lintegale.htm

You may even want to consider some Tannoy's. Might I suggest something from the Prestige series.
http://www.tannoy.com/PrestigeOverview
Tannoys are fairly well represented across the states. You should be able to find a dealer fairly close where you can take your amp and do an audition.

Good luck!

Scott F.

« Reply #33 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:30 pm »
Oh, I forgot to mention one of the larger pairs of Meadowlarks. Very, very nice speakers and very tube friendly too.

Tweaker

« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2006, 07:41 pm »
These might be of interest. I don't expect there is anyway to audition these and as far as purchasing...? But for lovers of high efficiency speakers and Lowthers these should be of some interest:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1000/beauhorn.htm

Then there are these beauties:
http://www.questforsound.com/speakers/spkrs_consonanceM15.htm

toobluvr

« Reply #35 on: 8 Apr 2006, 07:44 pm »
If your VAC 30/30 can drive them, my vote goes to the Vandersteen 5A.  Just about the best speaker I've ever heard.  Sound is big, dynamic, coherent, sufficiently detailed and completely smooth and fatigue-free.  They can rock when you want them to, and they can do the emotion and seduction thing as well.  You will just melt with female vocals and emotional music.  Even if I had more $ to spend, I'd probably still go for the 5A.  It's one heckuva speaker that would probably be easy to own for a very long time.

And in the setup where I heard them it didn't take mega-buck gear to make 'em sound tremendous: modest Quicksilver amp, Cary cdp,  unknown preamp (about $2000).  Nice thing about these is that they have built in big SS amps to handle the bass, so all you need is a sweet and just reasonably powered amp to drive mids and tweeter.   And the bass is tunable and adjustable to get it to mesh properly with your room.

And based on other options you are considering, your budget can definitely handle 'em.  They list for 15-20k depending on finish.  A current updated pair went on AG just last week for 7k.  They don't show up used very often, and when they do they get snatched up quickly....testimony to how highly they are regarded.  So if you target them you will probably need to wait for awhile.  But you will eventually see a pair.  

Another option is to buy a pair of regular 5's and upgrade them to 5A status.  I believe upgrade parts are modular and the upgrade is easily done in the field.  I don't know,  but this may even be a more cost effective way to own the 5A.  Or possibly just a quicker/easier  way to get them if there is a scarcity of used 5As.

I would suggest caution before diving into horns.  While there is no doubt your 30/30 could drive them with ease, and they will give startling dynamics and realism, I think they are a specialized taste that may, or may not, match your own.  Many people find them shouty, forward and aggressive.

2bigbears......I've been reading you posts carefully, and my take is that you want a big expansive and immersive sound, that highlights warm and musical over dry and analytical.  You want your listening to be emotional more than cerebral.  You want musicality and involvement, more than you wanna hear the sheet music pages being turned.  You wanna be seduced, and emotionally connected to the music.  I think the 5A will give you all this.

Why the enthusiastic recommendation for this speaker?  Well, I am in no way associated with Vandersteen, nor do I own it, or any Vandy speaker.  I have no vested interest in any manner whatsoever.  I'm just an audio enthusiast that  was just completely wowed by it.  I lust after it myself and will one day own it....if finances and circumstance allow.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2006, 07:50 pm »
Quote from: toobluvr
If your VAC 30/30 can drive them, my vote goes to the Vandersteen 5A.  Just about the best speaker I've ever heard.  Sound is big, dynamic, coherent, sufficiently detailed and completely smooth and fatigue-free.  They can rock when you want them to, and they can do the emotion and seduction thing as well.  You will just melt with female vocals and emotional music.  Even if I had more $ to spend, I'd probably still go for the 5A.  It's one heckuva speaker that would probably be easy to own for a very long ti ...

If I could afford the 5A's they would be my speaker of choice as well.

One of the few speakers that would make me get rid of my Salk HT3's.

There is one pair on Audiogon right now:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1149503727

Not the screamng deal from last week, but still much better than buying new.

George

2bigears

« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2006, 09:59 pm »
thks everyone.i gotta say,those Vandies must sound fine.i saw that pair come up and did not jump when i should have.what the heck makes this speaker so good????zypar: that pair for sale is across the pond,makes for a hard deal i think???? toobluvr,i am thinkin' your right on the money with speaker of choice.you may have pegged it.job well done.now....gotta find a set,5's or 5a's no matter.later Pat :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

toobluvr

« Reply #38 on: 8 Apr 2006, 10:27 pm »
thks everyone.i gotta say,those Vandies must sound fine.i saw that pair come up and did not jump when i should have.what the heck makes this speaker so good????zypar: that pair for sale is across the pond,makes for a hard deal i think???? toobluvr,i am thinkin' your right on the money with speaker of choice.you may have pegged it.job well done.now....gotta find a set,5's or 5a's no matter.later Pat :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

Whoaa.....slow down there, pardner!    :?
Before committing to it, I would poke around first to make sure it will mate well with your 30/30.

What makes it so good?
Do some reading, my friend.
For example....from The Absolute Sound:

"Although they are unquestionably the finest loudspeakers I’ve heard, the 5As are about music as a whole and not its individual components. The Vandersteen Model 5As were installed nearly three months ago as I write this and I’m still pulling my records out every day to discover what’s really on them. Not what’s on them in hi-fi terms but what’s there in emotional and artistic expression. Richard Vandersteen’s legacy in hi-fi is already established as a champion of time-and-phase-accurate speakers that are price/performance barrier-breakers. The Model 5A is a landmark speaker, an instant classic, and the speaker that cements his legacy as a technical innovator and designer of some of the most advanced and highest performance speakers the industry has seen."

Long version here:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/145/vandersteen_model_5a.html

Pro reviews are informative, but not definitive.
Visit some of the other audio boards and see opinions from real people.
You will find them almost 100% complimentary.

PS:  what makes you think that pair on AG now is in Europe?
According to the zipcode on the ad, they are in California.

2bigears

« Reply #39 on: 8 Apr 2006, 10:52 pm »
these are not new to me,i have considered them 4 years ago,just could not come to terms with the price.this is a speaker people have raved about for years,they really don't look like much though?i gotta make sure it works with what i have for sure..more investigations needed.i am thinkin it may be the one.they don't sell them here in Canada,anywhere.. :o   :o