Replacement of tweeter with FST for RM-40

Juan R

« on: 23 May 2003, 11:58 am »
I have the RM-40 with the old tweeter and will like to replace with the FST, if anyone have done that and tell me the steps or process to do it, I basically want to know if I can do it without make some damage to the speakers.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 04:55 am »
Brian flat out refuses to provide a straight answer to this question.  If anyone gets one, please let us in.  I have asked several times in person, inconclusive reply every time.  I give up.  It appears, to get the HET flush mounted, you must use a template & a router, way beyond a jigsaw.

PLMONROE

Missing something???
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2003, 03:07 am »
What am I missing? It appears the new tweeter on the RM/X sits atop the main enclosure in its own adjustable enclosure. Why not place it on the RM40 in a like manner and just dosconect the existing spiral tweeter, or remove it and block off the mail cabinet? This would avoid  all the jigsaw and router work on the RM40.
Paul

Juan R

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2003, 04:42 am »
I think will be easy to do it, a box with the crossover, a long pair of jumper cables, something to cover the gap. probably  the only difficult part is removing tweeter and crossover.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2003, 05:20 am »
The 8" gap between the mids isn't going to help the sound, plus the tweeter atop the 40 would be quite a bit higher than that of the RMX.

wshuff

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2003, 01:01 pm »
How would the tweeter on top of the RM40 be higher than on the RM/X?  Isn't the RM/X about 6 inches to a foot taller than the RM40?

PLMONROE

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2003, 02:44 pm »
Irrespective of which is taller I would think if the tweter can be tilted downward from the RM/X to hit the sweet spot it could also be tilted downward to do the same from the RM40.  I am quite capable of doing the woodwork but I REALLY don't want to start hacking on my RM40's if thre is a easier/better way. How about making the enclosure for the tweeter atop the RM/X available to us RM40 owners -- BRYAN???????????????????.

Q

Not sure I fully agree with the angled tweeter concept....
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2003, 06:19 pm »
The question is:  How do account for time alignment if you are angling your tweeters, and/or moving them to the top of the cabinet?  I know thats one of the reasons the designer of my speakers kept the Raven R2 cabinet separate from the woofer cabinet, so that the user can fine tune the tweeter distance relative to the woofers.  AND, indeed, I can detect a major change in sound if I move the Raven more than about a centimeter front or back.
SO....again the question...how on earth are you going to keep time (phase) alignment if you are changing that ribbon angle?  My Ravens are crossed at 5kHz, so that is pretty close to the same xo point as the RMX or rm40...so i dont think the effect is going to be much different.
Q

PLMONROE

Beats Me!
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2003, 06:50 pm »
Good question. However I can only presume thar Bryan put the tweeter atop the RM/X for good reason and yet the new tweeter on the RM40 apparently goes in the same place as the old spiral ribbin tweeter did. Hummmm?
Paul

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2003, 07:27 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
How would the tweeter on top of the RM40 be higher than on the RM/X?  Isn't the RM/X about 6 inches to a foot taller than the RM40?

Who's the dummy who said a tweeter atop the RM40 would be higher than the X tweeter?  ME?  Oh...never mind...Yes the X (sum total of 3 exist) is 76" tall, tweeter centered around 71"), RM40 is 66" tall (tweeter atop it would be just a bit lower than the X's).

Spacing between drivers which exceeds 1/2 the overlapping wavelength will audibly affect radiation patterns &/or more.  The mids & HET X at 7k, about 2".  1/2 that is 1".  A 10" woofer sited between the HET & uppermost mid results in about 13x the above specified spacing.  I can't possibly imagine anything but negative results.

PLMONROE

DUH!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2003, 10:09 pm »
Of course! I forgot that on the RM/X the woofer is moved down to the bottom of the cabinet so the mids and the tweeter are adjacent. If the tweeter were placed atop the RM40 the woofer would be between the mids and the tweeter. Thanks for the clarification (guess I am a bit slow at times)

Juan R

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2003, 10:32 pm »
I wonder how much will cost  fly Bib B  to NO, that way he can do the replacement insitu.

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2003, 04:48 pm »
Maybe we can also have him detour by Oklahona City for mine and split the cost. :lol:
Paul