New To AC, questions about Omega

kittyboy

« on: 7 Apr 2006, 04:26 pm »
Howdy, my name's David.  I've spent a lot of time on AA and Agon but just joined AC, largely because of interest in Omega and Red Wine.

My first question:  is there anywhere in NYC that I can hear Omegas?  I've owned lots of great speakers over the years but left my Audio Note system in storage in California and am now looking to build a less-expensive system in NYC.  I have interest but no experience w/single driver systems.  Where can I check them out?  From initial research I think I'm most interested in Super 3, maybe XRS, which leads me to question 2.

I've been a professional bassist (jazz mostly, but pop too) most of my life, so bass is very important to me--doesn't have to be pipe organ low, but realistic, natural and hopefully down to 42hz or a little lower.  So the question is:  do the XRS really give you 42?  
If they don't, that's cool too--I could add a sub.  But if I'm going to add a sub then perhaps it doesn't make sense to get the XRS, you know?

Overall I'm looking for the most natural presentation possible; PRaT is my other big priority.  I've had great success with audio note speakers and arrived there via quad ESL and 63s, and other speakers too, but the ANs are a bit too expensive for a second system.  
Speakers I'm currently considering are Reynaud, Spendor, and Reference 3A de capo-i.   If anybody feels like telling me how Omegas fit in with my priorities and also how they compare with the other speakers on my list I'd be most appreciative.

This is a great forum.  I'd burned out on AA and it's nice to discover AC.

westcoast

« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2006, 12:47 am »
Welcome, David!!  Great to have you here.  I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions, but I direct you to this thread at the moment:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27072

Why not make a little jaunt to this affair to meet with the boys in the flesh?  No better way...

Welcome.

SET Man

Re: New To AC, questions about Omega
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:05 am »
Quote from: kittyboy
...My first question:  is there anywhere in NYC that I can hear Omegas?   ...

Hi,

Welcome to the AC! :D Hey! another NYer eh? Don't forget to stop by the "NY Rave" section here in the AC.  :wink:

As for Omega speaker in NYC. I do know that John "jrdcesq" in East Village own pair. Oh! we did have some people bought Omega speaker to a few of our previous monthly "Rave"

Anyway, you might want to stop by the "NY Rave" section and say hi and surly that you could get in touch with someone there with Omega and audition them.

Man! more NYer audiophiles! :D Isn't this the greatest city in the world or what? I think we got more audiophiles here in NYC than any other places.  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:08 am »
Overall I'm looking for the most natural presentation possible; PRaT is my other big priority. I've had great success with audio note speakers and arrived there via quad ESL and 63s, and other speakers too, but the ANs are a bit too expensive for a second system.

TWO WORDS- NAIM/NEAT :guitar:

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2006, 02:03 am »
The Omegas you talk about might deliver the perception of low bass, which is what most people are able to hear, but not truly anything major as you expect.  As always, a sub might be on call, but on the road to single fullrange driverhood, it might defeat the purpose attempting to add an octave that does not exist with a separate enclosure, crossover and electronics.

but if you are willing to take a plunge, why not?

My full range single driver world has be shaken completely with my FTA-2000 speakers.  It takes the signal down to 30 hz and I have even felt usable output down to 20 Hz.  

the drawback is the massive size of the TL cabinets.  But, the sounds is oh so glorious.

kittyboy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2006, 04:03 am »
Thanks, fellas.  Nice to be here.

Couple more questions:  where are the good audio shops in NYC?

Also, mcrespo, you say NAIM/NEAT, but I don't see those in your system....
What Naim/Neat combination do you like?

I'm also interested in hearng the FTA-2000, Abbys, de capo i's, reynauds...

Where can I hear some of these?

Thanks again!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2006, 12:34 am »
A good compromise between the little Fostex FE127E (an amazing driver for only $37 each) and the mighty Fostex F200A (at $375 each) while providing good efficiency might Bob Brines FT1600.  Short floorstanders can get "lost" behind furniture.

The FT1600 uses an in between Fostex driver and is rated in room down to 37 Hz and is about 95 dB/w/m so it should work better with a Clari-T sized amp.  It's not small, but takes no more floor than most standmounts.  Workmanship probably isn't as good as Omega, but the finished price is competative (and you can buy them panelized or unfinished to save lots).

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2006, 01:13 am »

I rarely go to store anymore. I remember when I was a youngters starting out in hi-end when to couple of stores and had some good and bad expreirences. Maybe that is why I got in to DIY. :D Anyway, someone here will fill in on this question.

I see the Naim/Neat Grandmaster is at it again... preaching Naim/Neat gospel. :lol: Anyway, they are different than SET+ Single Driver. But... seriouly you should give them a listen. Hey! you might like it... especially if you like loud rock! :guitar:  :rock:  So, contact Micheal he is in NYC... I'm sure he will be happy to let you listen to his Naim/Neat... Hey! you might even get a Naim T-shirt too! :lol:

Thanks again!

The only guy in NYC with the FTA-2000 and the infamous bass monster of single driver the  F200A is Paul "Bemopti123" in the Bronx. Those F200A are very good driver... giving up some sensitivity for a more extention on the bottom.

Abby?... well that's beat me. I don't know anyone with Abby in NYC. :scratch:

As for me I have none of the above. I have my own DIY TQWT with Fostex 167E. :roll: And yes I also a bit of Audio Note fan... I have the M1 Pre and planning to get the DAC kit  :D

Anyway, do contact them I'm sure they will be happy to let you listen to thier system. Also, the April Rave is coming you might want to go to meet other... we have a very nice group of people here...  it will be fun :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2006, 02:49 am »

Thanks again!

Due to the nature of the builder, any Bob Brines speakers can only be heard through someone who has bought a pair or built one.  I own a pair of FTA-2000s, the larger brother to the FT-1600s and it leaves all other single fullrange drivers behind with its extension on the extremes.  It is not very demanding with amplification...I run them with a pair of cheap 40 watt op chip monos and can make most commercial systems up to 5K seem disjointed.  The only drawback is the size...I call them my "lovely trunks."  

The DeCapos are excellent for the size...low wattage friendly, I doubt there are dealers in NYC area.  Same goes for JM Reynaud, I doubt there are dealers, I can be wrong.

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2006, 03:02 am »
Quote from: Bemopti123
Due to the nature of the builder, any Bob Brines speakers can only be heard through someone who has bought a pair or built one.  I own a pair of FTA-2000s, the larger brother to the FT-1600s and it leaves all other single fullrange drivers behind with its extension on the extremes.  It is not very demanding with amplification...I run them with a pair of cheap 40 watt op chip monos and can make most commercial systems up to 5K seem disjointed.  The only drawback is the size...I call them my "lovely trunks."  ...

I think that Lyric Hi-Fi and In Living Stereo carry Reference 3a.  I'm not sure about JM Reynaud.

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2006, 03:03 am »

Thanks again!

Yeah, I'm too lazy to update my pictures or system on audiocircle.  I always just say Naim/Neat because I like being a smartass!  They are excellent if you listen to rock.

Michael

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2006, 03:15 am »
I stand corrected about Reference 3A dealerships in NYC, thanks Mike.

I bet they sound like a killer with either a 47 Labs Shigaraki integrated and transport set up or with the infamous Gaincard...can listen to both at In Living Stereo (on the same block next to the large Tower Records, on Broadway.)
BTW, I think they also have Triangle speakers, the other famous hi efficiency French speaker manufacturer.

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2006, 11:48 pm »
Hi Kittyboy,

Lots of speakers mentioned on this thread and I would audition the Omegas at In Living Stereo. Looking good to have them represented in N.Y.C.

SET Man is right on with the NY Rave. They are so kind to have let me participate in the raves and It’s always a pleasure for me. I hope to host one myself very soon.

XRSs don’t give perceptions; they deliver to the 40s in room. Superhemps go much lower with higher sensitivity.

Thanks again,
Louis