New to tubes---need help.

rajacat

• Washington State
« on: 3 Apr 2006, 12:31 am »
I am considering switching from an all digital setup (Panasonic XR55) to a full or partial tube system. I would appreciate some suggestions and advice on some  amps, integrated amps and preamps in the budget category. I will use the system with  computer music storage via a Squeezebox3> NOS DAC(MHDT LAB Constantine)>Ascend 340SE and a not yet purchased subwoofer.

Thanks in advance.

Raja

IronLion

« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2006, 12:47 am »
I haven't heard any of the following but I have just settled on an integrated tube amp (well, a hybrid Unico to be exact) after doing a lot of research and from the information I gathered the following are amps you should look at.  Onix SP3 (a lot of these on Audiogon for $550+), Jolida integrated, Almarro integrated if you have sensitive speakers.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2006, 05:28 pm »
Quote from: IronLion
I haven't heard any of the following but I have just settled on an integrated tube amp (well, a hybrid Unico to be exact) after doing a lot of research and from the information I gathered the following are amps you should look at.  Onix SP3 (a lot of these on Audiogon for $550+), Jolida integrated, Almarro integrated if you have sensitive speakers.

Thanks for the reply.  In the budget category the choices are rather limited. I have been scanning the ads for the ~$500 options and have come to similiar conclusions. The Jolinda integrated/hybrid seems to be the most for the money.

Raja

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2006, 06:05 pm »
I don't know about Joilida but on a Sophia EL34 amp, which is an entry level integrated push pull (~500 used), I get the best sound when I turn it all the way up and use another pre amp or SB2 to control volume.  I think at entry level, the volume pots on an integrated are not good.  If you are not using another source you may consider getting a tube power amp and use the volume control on your Squeeze Box.  There are more choices for power amps than integrated amps.

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2006, 09:56 pm »
I don't know what qualifies as a budget product, but you might be interested in the gear at http://www.space-tech-lab.com/

They have their entry level integrated at C$880, which is around US$750:
http://www.space-tech-lab.com/SP-SE-6AS7G.html

And their entry level pre-amp is C$480, or around US$410:
http://www.space-tech-lab.com/SP-QA-001.html

That pre-amp will probably be my first piece of tubed equipment.

Chad

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2006, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
I don't know about Joilida but on a Sophia EL34 amp, which is an entry level integrated push pull (~500 used), I get the best sound when I turn it all the way up and use another pre amp or SB2 to control volume.  I think at entry level, the volume pots on an integrated are not good.  If you are not using another source you may consider getting a tube power amp and use the volume control on your Squeeze Box.  There are more choices for power amps than integrated amps.

Thanks for your reply.  I suppose I could use the SB3 as the preamp but I would like to  integrate a subwoofer into the system somehow. I imagine that the direct SB to power amp would provide the best sound quality. Not having a regular preamp would limit the connection options of the system.

Raja

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2006, 11:32 pm »
Chad,
Thanks for the link. Space Tech Lab would be a very long day trip or a short overnighter from my home. Their prices seem reasonable and it is the type of small cottage industry that I like to deal with. So many options: Amp, Preamp, Hybrid, Integrated...etc.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:33 am »

Chad[/quote]

What are you going to do for an amp?

Raja

chadh

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2006, 01:33 pm »
Quote from: rajacat

Quote from: chadh

Chad

What are you going to do for an amp?

Raja

I use Channel Islands VMB-1s (chip amp/gainclone monoblocks which have recently been discontinued).  

Chad

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2006, 06:32 pm »
Chad,
Thanks for the link. Space Tech Lab would be a very long day trip or a short overnighter from my home. Their prices seem reasonable and it is the type of small cottage industry that I like to deal with. So many options: Amp, Preamp, Hybrid, Integrated...etc.

I think you mentioned somewhere that you ordered a Space Tech preamp. Have you received it yet and how do you like it?

thayerg

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2006, 08:04 pm »
My Antique Sound Lab tube integrated features a subwoofer out (actually a preamp out).  It's definitely worth finding an integrated with this feature.

doorman

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2006, 08:08 pm »
you might also try http://www.decware.com.
 American made, lifetime guarantee, relativley low cost, and great sound
                                                                     happy hunting,  Don

chadh

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2006, 01:06 am »
Chad,

I think you mentioned somewhere that you ordered a Space Tech preamp. Have you received it yet and how do you like it?

I finally ordered the pre-amp about ten days ago.  Albert told me that, with his current list of projects, the pre-amp would probably be done withing three to five weeks.  So, I've got another couple of weeks to wait (at least).

Chad

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2006, 01:04 am »
My search for a preamp has ended :) . I just purchased a slightly used Mapletree Line 3 SE and the matching PS 2 power supply. Presently, I'm using a Pioneer VSX-D498 AVR for the amp but I want to upgrade to something better.
I will also be adding a powered subwoofer to my system and will run it off the Mapletree which , unlike the Line 2, has a center channel.

This might be out of the Vintage Circle :nono:  but
I have been considering one of the Class T amps, the Charlize, but would appreciate  suggestions for other options. The sub I'm currently yearning for is the Rythmik 12" servo sub kit. My speakers are Ascend 340SE's, large 2 way bookshelves, which have a 90db efficiency rating.

Computer>Squeezebox 3 (unmodded)> MHDT Lab DAC (the Constintine) Mapletree Line 3 SE pre> Pioneer VSX-D498 AVR> Ascend 340 SE's

acresm22

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2006, 04:17 am »
Hey Rajacat,

Glad to hear the Mapletree Line 3A SE is working out for you!  :wink:

Dan

acresm22

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2006, 04:21 am »
Rajacat,

FWIW, I just noticed there's a Teac A-L700P three channel Tripath amp for sale on the Red Wine Audio forum...good price too.

D.

commsysman

Tube Amps/preamps
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2006, 02:56 pm »
I have been playing with tubes since the 1960s, when I had a Harmon-Kardon Citation tube amp and preamp. I have had several tube power amps over the years; mostly high quality.

I currently have an Audio Research LS16 Preamp (6H30 tubes) and a solid-state amp. Tube power amps are great if you like to play around with (and repair) your toys a lot and have a masochistic streak, but to me almost all tube amps produce a colored sound and need too much care and feeding.

Very few have a decent low-frequency damping factor, which severely limits your speaker choices for decent peformance. I know that from long experience!

I do not know what your price range is. A used ARC preamp can be a good choice; they are bullet-proof reliable; last forever. The SP-9, LS-1 and LS-3 do not sound that good, nor do the early solid-state models. The one I recommend to my friends is the LS2B, which I had for 10 years. It can be had for about $1000, depending on vintage and upgrades, and was rated Class A by Stereophile for many years ($3000 new). Check Audiogon. It was and is one of their best. An LS15 is going to cost 50% more, but is even better.

Put a good 100W solid-state amp (Parasound?) with a decent AR preamp for about $1000 each, and you will have the basis for a system that will be hard to beat for less than 3 times as much money.

Check the arcdb website for detailed specs and history on all ARC products from the 1970s to current models (independent website).