Maintaining MLS cabinets

warnerwh

Maintaining MLS cabinets
« on: 2 Apr 2006, 07:15 am »
I'm wondering how people take care of the finish on their MLS cabinets. These are obviously very high grade furniture and I know we all take pride in the quality of the beautiful finish that Mark Schifter has given us.

These cabinets should not have chemicals like Pledge etc used on them. Over time these can damage the finish. A dry cloth or one slightly dampened with water is all you need.

If you want to put a shine on them and protect them you should use Liberon Black Bison or some other high grade furniture wax.  If you buy paste wax be prepared to use plenty of elbow grease.  When you use this kind of wax you only need to use it once or twice a year. Then again it takes much longer to put on and remove.

On my RM 40's for the larger areas I decided to try the buffer I use on my car.  Works like a charm and beats the heck out of wearing out your fingers and arms. Be sure that there's not the tiniest spec of any grit on the buffer pad or you'll put scratches on your finish in a hurry.  

A liquid wax is probably easier although I haven't tried them being a paste wax person for furniture.  If anybody has any other ideas I'd like to know what they are.

One idea I came up with is how to paint my bases gloss piano black and give it that smooth deep finish.  If someone knows how this is done please explain.  Thanks