HT Bypass

ajzepp

HT Bypass
« on: 2 Apr 2006, 04:02 am »
Do Franks' preamps have an HT Bypass option? Now that I've purchased my speakers, it's time to focus on upgrading my gear. I'm going to use my system for both 2-channel and HT, so a stereo preamp with HT bypass is a must.

Nick B

HT Bypass
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2006, 04:40 am »
I believe you can accomplish something similar using either the tape buffer option or the EPL function. I called Frank and if I understand him correctly, that will allow the AVA gear to drive the signal to the 2 main speakers and allow for the HT amp to drive the other 3 or more channels. Once the volume levels are matched, the HT gear volume control is then the master. There should be posts on this in the AVA section. Maybe someone else can confirm or correct  what I said.

ajzepp

HT Bypass
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2006, 06:13 am »
Thanks Nick. I think most preamps are able to do something like that, but if there is a specific HT bypass option then it makes the volume adjustment a little easier (I think). I could be wrong about that, I dunno.

Are you running any AVA gear yourself? If so, what do you think of it?

Nick B

HT Bypass
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2006, 06:55 am »
Hi ajzepp                        I'm not running any AVA gear. I'm asking lots of questions and reading lots of posts in anticipation of getting a new amp within a month or two. Then a preamp when finances allow. Both items will probably be from one of the AC companies and the AVA Ultra hybrid lineup is intriguing. I've never owned a tube preamp, although I did own VAC and Modjeski tube amps years ago. I know nothing  about HT, but want to incorporate that when I move in a few years. That's why I called Frank to ask him about that subject. Good luck on your quest for great gear.                                                    Nick B

ajzepp

HT Bypass
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2006, 07:45 am »
Nick: Sounds like you're pretty much in the same boat as I am. I don't know if it's of any interest, but I just posted about my 2-channel HT experience tonight if you want to read it. It's in the 2-channel forum on this site. I'm really torn as to what direction to take my system. The speakers were the easy part!

mca

HT Bypass
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2006, 06:21 am »
So do you have to match the volume each time or does the EPL switch bypass the volume control?

ajzepp

HT Bypass
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2006, 02:20 am »
mca: That's kind of what i was getting at too.....As it is now, I'm assuming you have to match the volume and that there is no true bypass of it. Definitely not a deal breaker, just a slight annoyance :)

Levi

Re: HT Bypass
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2006, 02:42 am »
I second your thoughts.  

Here is a good diagram for your thoughts.  You need a preamp that has an HT Bypass mode or Unity Gain settings to be able to have the best of both worlds.

Quote from: ajzepp
Do Franks' preamps have an HT Bypass option? Now that I've purchased my speakers, it's time to focus on upgrading my gear. I'm going to use my system for both 2-channel and HT, so a stereo preamp with HT bypass is a must.

ajzepp

HT Bypass
« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2006, 08:55 pm »
Levi:

Awesome system!  Those Sonus Fabers are some classy, classy speakers :)  I can only imagine how awesome that rig sounds......and yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking to do :)

Are you running a phantom center?? I didn't see you list a center speaker, but I noticed you included it on the diagram.

Levi

HT Bypass
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2006, 10:43 pm »
It is a fun system which serves my purpose.  Thank you.

I do use a matching center channel plus a subwoofer (not in diagram).  

You might ask, should the amps have the same output levels?  In HT mode, yes.  Use the processor to calibrate all speakers to have equal sound pressure levels.  To adjust for levels, simply use a Radio Shack Sound Meter in C weighted and slow.

Regards.

Quote from: ajzepp
Levi:

Awesome system!  Those Sonus Fabers are some classy, classy speakers :)  I can only imagine how awesome that rig sounds......and yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking to do :)

Are you running a phantom center?? I didn't see you list a center speaker, but I noticed you included it on the diagram.