Which cable to replace?

Tim S

Which cable to replace?
« on: 21 May 2003, 11:41 pm »
I'm thinking of replacing some of my cables but my finances aren't the best at the moment, so I must do them one at a time. I was curious what people thought might be the best one to replace first.

Current setup:
Toshiba DVD Player
(1)Kimber low end digital cable
Smart DI/O
(2)Bolder Type II Interconnect
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 Preamp
(3)BetterCables Silver Serpent Interconnect
Anthem MCA5 S2
(4)Bettercables Premium II Speaker Cable
VMPS RM1

So options for replacement seem to be:
(1) BC Digital cable $75
(2) & (3) BC M80 Interconnect $100 each
(4) BC M80 Speaker Cable $160
(5) BC M80 Bi-Wire Jumper $80

Any thoughts about which would be the best bet for an inital upgrade? I would like to upgrade the amp to a separate 2-channel one but that is not to be for a little while.

Tim

Wayne1

Which cable to replace?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 07:29 pm »
Hello Tim,

I was waiting for some of the other folks to offer their opinions before I butted in :)

My personal thoughts are that, in your system, I would suggest thst you upgrade the speaker cables first. Then maybe add the jumpers.

Next up would be the digital cable and the audio interconnects from the source to the preamp.

Finally I would suggest the cables from the preamp to the amp.

I have heard the biggest differences with speaker cables with VMPS speakers.  Then I suggest the source end of things.

Then you can start thinking about AC cables  :D

I hope this helps.

Tim S

Which cable to replace?
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2003, 10:15 pm »
Wayne,

Thanks for the suggestions. As you may have seen in your order queue I actually went ahead and ordered the jumpers first, but I may try out the speaker cables in another month or two with others following along. As for the source, I've wanted to get a stand alone CD player for a while instead of having a double duty DVD player, but I'm out of rack space. That might suggest a new rack in my future as well. . .

Tim