UCD180 5 channel amp

mbolek

UCD180 5 channel amp
« on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:07 pm »
Completed my 5 channel UCD 180.  I had a custom chassis designed from a friend.  We'll design a custom faceplate and top cover to finish the amp.

The build was easy and the amp sounds great.  Dead quiet and very impressed after only a couple of hours of play time.  I'll provide additional details once I do more listening.  

Thanks to Kevin for the help and ease to get the Hypex parts.

Let me know how to post some pics...

marty

kfr01

Re: UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: mbolek

Let me know how to post some pics...

Gallery at the top of the page...

Looking forward to seeing them!

mbolek

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:09 pm »
I'll add the pics to the gallery.

How do you insert the pics into the actual posts.

thx.

mbolek

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:50 pm »

Voodoo Rufus

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2006, 03:03 am »
Very nicely built amp. Good job. :)

JoshK

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2006, 03:07 am »
That's some bucks on binding posts!  Nice job! What PSU caps did you use?   Any particular design you followed?

kfr01

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2006, 03:18 pm »
It looks like the PSU is comprised of 3 standard hypex psu modules.

mbolek:  It looks fantastic!

Karl

RAW

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2006, 04:12 pm »
Very nice work.

Yes I agree Kevins kits are very easy to produce a finished product that is just outstanding in quality.
And did I say sound quality to boot.

Well done.

mbolek

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2006, 05:34 pm »
Thanks guys.  Yes,  this is all Hypex parts.  I haven't dabbled in DIY in a handful of years (alot of speaker building).  I figured I would start with an easy one (plug and play).  I'm going to duplicate another 5 channel for a friend.  Next will be monoblocks for the front speakers.   I may get a liitle more custom with those.

I have to say after a couple of days, this amp out performs my previous Sherbourn and is at least equal to an older Proceed HPA.  

I got a good deal on the Eichmann binding posts so I figured I'd give them a try.

marty

timkeeler

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2006, 09:47 am »
Very nicely done!  What kind of transformer did you use?  I am thinking of going with a Plitron 1000va 31/31 if I can get the funds together to build a 5 channel ucd180 myself.  How do you like the Eichmann binding posts?

mbolek

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2006, 10:52 pm »
AVEL's Y23.

625 VA w/ 30+30 secondary

jimbo2

Could you post the details of the build please?
« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2006, 02:46 pm »
Hi, I would like to get some details on this build - could you post the design details (or links) and a parts list... please!! I am planning to build a 2-ch amp that I could later upgrade to a 5-ch one... Btw, I notice you used only 3 HG(?) power supplies - any reason for not going with 5 (overkill?)

Edited: I figured out the "Kevin" of DIY cable part so that answers the parts list section. How about the design info? Is it included with the hypex parts?

Thanks!!

Kevin Haskins

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2006, 08:46 pm »
Hold off a little and we will have a solution for you.   I have a two thru five channel power supply that can be scaled for more modules by just adding capacitors.    We also have a new chassis that is in production and it will allow easy 2-5 channel builds.    You could start with a 2-channel version and all you would have to do to move up to five channels is add a few capacitors to the power supply board, change the rear panel (which we can supply) and add more UCD modules.    We have an oversized transformer in stock that will work for anything from 2-5 channels.

We will also document these for newbies.   It will all be plug & play.   No need to drill a hole and the only soldering is on input RCAs & XLRs.   The rest of the build is slip-on connectors.

ETA is about 6 weeks.

jhenderson010759

• http://www.innovative-dsp.com
Mechanicals
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2006, 04:40 am »
Kevin -

I need to build another 4 channel Hypex amp.  Is there any chance that the chassis for this new 2..5-channel design will permit rackmount?

Kevin Haskins

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2006, 09:44 pm »
Absolutely... we designed a rack mount front plate for it.   You just remove the stock face plate and install the rack mount unit and it works in any standard 2U slot.

kfr01

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:33 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
Hold off a little and we will have a solution for you.   I have a two thru five channel power supply that can be scaled for more modules by just adding capacitors.    We also have a new chassis that is in production and it will allow easy 2-5 channel builds.    You could start with a 2-channel version and all you would have to do to move up to five channels is add a few capacitors to the power supply board, change the rear panel (which we can supply) and add more UCD modules.    We have an oversized transfo ...

Kevin:

Sounds like an exciting solution!  Kudos on continuing to release exciting packages for the DIYers.  

Karl

JDUBS

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2006, 10:37 pm »
Hold off a little and we will have a solution for you.   I have a two thru five channel power supply that can be scaled for more modules by just adding capacitors.    We also have a new chassis that is in production and it will allow easy 2-5 channel builds.    You could start with a 2-channel version and all you would have to do to move up to five channels is add a few capacitors to the power supply board, change the rear panel (which we can supply) and add more UCD modules.    We have an oversized transfo ...

Kevin

Any update on this chassis?

Thanks,
Jim

Kevin Haskins

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2006, 04:03 pm »
It is coming along.   We have most of the parts in stock but I'm waiting on the facia, heatsinks, adaptor plates and the front panel.

The facia has been the major hold-up.   I'm still waiting on a third sample before I "ok" production.  

ETA is still 4-6 weeks as it takes a couple weeks for production and another couple weeks to ship/clear customs.

mbolek

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2006, 12:35 am »
Kevin,

What are you going to use for the case feet?  

Any chance you would know where to source/buy one with a milled aluminum finish?  (I would like to attach a pic but I'm unsuccessful  attaching a jpg image into the context of the message body)

thx.

marty

JDUBS

UCD180 5 channel amp
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2006, 02:47 am »
It is coming along.   We have most of the parts in stock but I'm waiting on the facia, heatsinks, adaptor plates and the front panel.

The facia has been the major hold-up.   I'm still waiting on a third sample before I "ok" production.  

ETA is still 4-6 weeks as it takes a couple weeks for production and another couple weeks to ship/clear customs.

Looking forward to it.  Thanks Kevin!

-Jim