Nuforce Ref. 9.02 to replace Pathos Classic One

montepilot

• http://www.immunotec.com/dclementin
« on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:15 am »
I would appreciate some input about upgrading to Ref. 9.02 monoblocks.  Currently I have a Pathos Classic One MKII  powering my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. The Pathos is rated at 70 wpc. The Cremona Auditor's are rated at 88db efficeincy.  I don't think the Pathos supplies enough current/power to really make my Auditors perform at their maximum.

While I am tempted to purchase a pair of the Nuforce monos I am reluctant due to an earlier experience.  I purchased a Plinius 9200 which is rated at 200 wpc.  It sounded horrible in my system despite the rave reviews and the additional power was hardly noticed.  I am very happy I did not sell my Pathos before purchasing the Plinius which I later sold.

I own a Manley Shrimp linestage which I have in storage and waiting for the right amps for the system.  I am using Coincident Extreme interconnect and speaker cable.

Any suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

NealH

« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:46 am »
Email me if you want to sell the Classic One.  

Switching amps typically work better with some speakers than others.  In general they sound very clear, reasonably dynamic, and grain free.  The clarity can seem so good that it borders on sounding sterile.  Thats my take anyway - your mileage may vary.   On speakers like Magnepans, they can sound very good.   On speakers like Sound Labs (electrostatic speakers), they sound terrible.  

My advice is to not consider the purchase of any amplifier without the ability to audition it in your system.  Today most progressive companies offer a full money back audition policy and, I believe Nuforce is one of them.  After going through many revisions, this amplifier is not likely to disappoint even if you ultimately find its synergy with your particular speakers a bit lacking.

montepilot

• http://www.immunotec.com/dclementin
Thanks rnhood
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2006, 01:34 am »
Your advice is well taken.  Since there are no dealers of Nuforce in my area of Boston, MA. I may have to purchase them with the option to return them if they do not work with my system.