UCD400 stereo amp

omadri7231

UCD400 stereo amp
« on: 30 Mar 2006, 08:30 am »
Hello everyone, I am new to the board.  I have a few questions.  I amp planning on buiding a two channel stereo power amp using two UCD400 modules coupled to the HG power supply and soft start module.  I plan on using this case.

What would be a good VA rating for a single transformer?  I was considering an AVEL Y236853 625VA 40V+40V toroidal transformer.  Would this be a good choice?

Gordy

UCD400 stereo amp
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2006, 12:06 pm »
Hello Omadri!

Welcome to AC!  As long as you use the soft start, the 625va is a great tranny to use, the 40v outputs will give you 56-57v on the rails... an excellent place to be!!!  There are plenty of people using 500va with no issues... remember the UcD's are especially efficient!

Nice heavy duty chassis you have there, you could probably run 6 - 400's with all those heat sinks  :D

omadri7231

UCD400 stereo amp
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:43 pm »
Quote from: Gordy
Hello Omadri!

Welcome to AC!  As long as you use the soft start, the 625va is a great tranny to use, the 40v outputs will give you 56-57v on the rails... an excellent place to be!!!  There are plenty of people using 500va with no issues... remember the UcD's are especially efficient!

Nice heavy duty chassis you have there, you could probably run 6 - 400's with all those heat sinks  :D

Thanks for the suggestion.  I purchased the case to allow me the room to grow.  I will eventually go to a 4 channel setup for a bi-amped system when funds permit.

samplesj

UCD400 stereo amp
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2006, 06:49 pm »
Its a shame PE is out of stock on the 800VA since its less than $5 more (if you had room).

I ran mine with 8ohm speakers on 500VA and didn't feel like I ever pushed it too hard.  I only moved up to 1000VA because the 500 buzzed and I'm running 4ohm now with unfused ribbons so clipping would be REALLY REALLY bad.

Just a warning, my original Avel buzzed mechanically.  Now it did look like the tx slid forward during shipping and bashed the front of the empty case (dented) so it may have loosened some windings, but Avel doesn't necessarily have a great rep with regard to mechanical buzzing.  

Plitron is much more $ and slower to ship (built to order), but they seem to have a great reputation.  If you go that route you can have it sheilded/screened to minimize RF too.

Here is a quick heads up that may save you some time when you go to wire it all together.  To me it seems that the Hypex softstart switch was wired backward.  If you use the switch then open contacts is on and closed if off.  I wasted a decent chunk of time checking everything else before realizing that it wasn't coming out of standby because I had hardwired the two contacts closed.

omadri7231

UCD400 stereo amp
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2006, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: samplesj
Its a shame PE is out of stock on the 800VA since its less than $5 more (if you had room).

I ran mine with 8ohm speakers on 500VA and didn't feel like I ever pushed it too hard.  I only moved up to 1000VA because the 500 buzzed and I'm running 4ohm now with unfused ribbons so clipping would be REALLY REALLY bad.

Just a warning, my original Avel buzzed mechanically.  Now it did look like the tx slid forward during shipping and bashed the front of the empty case (dented) so it may have loosened some win ...

Thanks for the suggestion, I may consider Plitron if the Avel trannies have a rep for noise.