Power Supply Updates

Wayne1

Power Supply Updates
« on: 29 Mar 2006, 06:20 pm »
I recently had a chance to compare many of the different versions of the power supplies I have been offering in the same system at the same time.

In most cases, I build a supply, test it to make sure it is working and send it on it's merry way. I do prototype testing, but the prototypes always seem to evolve into something else.

The past weekend I had a Basic Rev 1, An Updated Basic Rev 1 with Jensen Caps, A Deluxe PS with Panasonic caps ( with many hours on it), my latest prototype, Double Ugly's Ultimate and mgalusha's version of the Ultimate.

We listened to these on Mik's highly modded SB2 which has all the latest updates including Sonicaps with Platinum and Gen 2 Bypasses and Silver Slipstream Bybees in the signal path. He has the latest BlackGate cap changes in the internal PS of the SB. The SB was run direct to his pair of Modded LNPA-150s and a modded pair of Meadowlark Blue Heron 2.

The first up was the Basic Rev 1. It sounded a lot better than the stock wallwart. It was fairly close to the sound of the better CD transports I have heard. The next was the same outer case but with the Jensen caps inside. This was just built and had NO time on it. It made a MAJOR difference in overall tone and quality of the sound. Now there was music coming from the sprakers. When the Deluxe was put in, the sonics reverted back to very good CD player.

The Protoype was next and it took things to an even higher level. It is now using 4 Bybee purifiers. Subtleties were coming through that were never heard on this track before. The low end also opened up. Dynamics were greater, perhaps because of the lower noise floor. We put in the Ultimate and it was not quite as clear or dynamic.

Mike had recently made some changes to his PS. He removed his Felicia transformers and added another pair of Bybees. His was closer in sound to the prototype than the Ultimate.

The end result of this listening session is that I have rebuilt Double Ugly's Ultimate. I removed the one pair of Silver Slipstream Bybees and replaced them with two pair of copper Slipstream Bybees in different places. I believe this will lower the noise floor even more and allow greater dynamics and better imaging. The entire Ultimate is now wired with the Solid Silver wire, before only the AC was solid silver. It is breaking in right now and hopefully in a week or so, we can listen again, Then it will go off to Mississippi.

All of the cases for the "Superior" power supplies have arrived. I have dropped them off to be machined. All of the parts to construct the power supplies are on hand. I am low on the Solid Silver wire, but some more is on the way to me.

We have also done some listening to DC cables from the SB PS to the SB. We have found audible differences. The "standard" cable that I have been supplying is a coaxial design based on the M-80 interconnect. I have also built one using the shielded, twisted pair design of the Nitro. I build a prototype using the solid core silver I use in the Summit but the same design as the Nitro. In listening evaluations on the same system described above, the Summit cable sounded quite a bit better then the Nitro cable. The Nitro cable was head and shoulder better than the M-80. The Silver based cable seemed to be more harmonically correct. There was less "grit" or "grundge" in comparison.

After hearing the major differences between the Panasonic caps and Jensens, I am not going to offer the Panasonics after the present orders are filled for the Basic Rev 1. If any of the present owners of the Basic Rev 1 PS or any of the folks who have orders outstanding, wish to upgrade, I can use a small pair of Jensen cap in the same case. This would cost an EXTRA $250.00 for the parts and labor to use the Jensens in the same case. Please contact me by e-mail if you wish to upgrade. I will also offer an upgrade to the Nitro DC cable for an additional $75.00 to owners of the Basic Rev 1. I may need the power supply back to do some internal wiring changes to it.

I have built three of these and shipped them out to their new owners. Hopefully comments will start to come in within a week or so.

Based on this latest round of listening test, I am going to be offering power suppies with a good, better, best options.

The "GOOD" power supply will be offered in the same anodized aluminum case as the Deluxe.

It will have the Jensen caps and use the Nitro power cable. Internal wiring will be Teflon insulated, Solid core, copper cored silver. The DC cable will be the "Nitro" It will sell for $750.00

The "BETTER" Supply will be  in the same case. It will be made with the same wire. and caps, It will have 4 Bybee Purifiers added in appropriate locations. It will come with the Nitro DC cable. It will sell for $1150.00

The "Best" Supply will be made with the Pure Silver internal wire, Jensens,  4)Copper Bybees and the Summit Silver DC cable. It will sell for $1400,00. You can upgrade to 4) Silver Slipstreams for an additional $400.00. I have not heard this configuration, so I do not know how it would sound in comparison to the copper Slipstreams.

All of the power supplies do not come with AC power cables.

These power supplies will only be available on special order. They will be offered on a pre-order bassis every few months.

The current offering is sold out. I will hopefully offer a new round in a month or so.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Power Supply Updates
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2006, 06:36 pm »
Cool beans!

I have "The Best" version on order and will report back to everybody once I get it from Wayne and get a few miles on it.

I have gone from Wayne's "basic" to the "deluxe" and can only imagine how much better the "The Best" will be.

Way to keep pushing the envelope Wayne!   :thumb:

George

Wayne1

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2006, 07:34 pm »
Thanks, George,

I finished the update to your Deluxe yesterday.

I am just waiting for more of the Silver wire to build the DC cable.

In the meantime it is breaking in on the bedroom SB.

tdangelo

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2006, 12:35 am »
Well,  I just got my hmmm... guess its the "Good" in the original type case as the "original" but a bit bigger box,  and as usual - everytime I get something from Wayne its "WOW"!!!  I only got the above PS and haven't had my SB2 modified from the original Wayne did a few months ago.  I really wasn't expecting too much - a little improvement sure but MAN...  My wife and I listened first to  some Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny (Beyond The Missouri Sky - Message to a Friend) with the old PS - then I switched to the new that was only warmed up for about an hour(just plugged in).  I didn't tell the wife which was which.  It was really incredible - immediately she commented how much better it sounded and asked what exactly did I do.  I explained and she couldn't believe a little box could do what it did.  We were hearing finger pickings and shuffling I never heard before.  Amazing really...  The standup bass was much more powerful and defined.  This new PS hasn't even been broken in yet or had the Xtreme Pro Gold stuff put on (that stuff works great too!!))..  Thanks Wayne ;)

Wayne1

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2006, 03:16 am »
Thanks for the comments, Tony.

What you have is the Basic Rev 1 PS with Jensen caps and a Nitro DC cable. That PS is not  quite up to the same sound as the "Good" level. The Jensen power supply caps are physically smaller as the values are less then half of those used in the more expensive PS.

It is VERY close. It is also, as you can already tell, a whole 'nother level up from the standard Basic PS.

FWIW, I believe Tony is using the SB with it's digital out going into a TACT system. He is NOT using the analog out.

The power supply DOES improve the sound of the SB even when you use an external DAC.

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Supply Updates
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2006, 03:30 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
The power supply DOES improve the sound of the SB even when you use an external DAC.

If it didn't, I just spent a whole bunch of money for nothing!   :lol:

Just kidding around...I also use my modified SB2 into a modified TacT and improving the PS absolutely makes a big impact.

George

tonyptony

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2006, 01:07 pm »
Wayne, how about a nice interior pic of the "Best"?

Wayne1

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:45 pm »

Here is the picture I posted of the interior of the Ultimate.

No more interior shots of my products will be shown.

No more help about how to build power supplies. I have spent a LOT of time and money in developing these. There are certain innovations about the new supplies that I am not talking about. If anyone opens up the new supplies without permission, no more warranty.

From now on, if you want one of these supplies, you buy one from me.

DeadFish

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2006, 06:33 pm »
Makes sense to me Wayne; it's your 'bread-and-butter'.

Would hate to see a 'clone' on Epay from some pinhead considering your work public domain. :nono:

Thanks for helping to 'push the envelope' of what is possible with these things.

Regards,
DeadFish

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Wayne
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:58 pm »
So what version do I have?

-Dave Green

kfr01

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2006, 09:06 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish
Would hate to see a 'clone' on Epay from some pinhead considering your work public domain. :nono:

Unless patented, his work -is- public domain...

More on topic, Wayne, your new PSU looks great.  It is good to see someone pushing the envelope of the SB's performance.

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Supply Updates
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2006, 09:32 pm »
Wayne Just told me that my newly upgraded "Best" version is complete and will be shipped out today.  That means I will have it by the middle to end of next week.   :mrgreen:

Given the components inside the PS, it will take quite a few hours before I can give a "formal" review, but look for comments early and hopefully often.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I am extremely confident that this will take my SB2/TacT combo to a very high level of performance.

George

PeteG

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:23 pm »
No more interior shots of my products will be shown.

As long as we're talk'n audio gear here  :wink:

Wayne1

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:48 pm »
George,

Your PS had about 50 hours of use before it left. It was sounding very nice before I put it in it's box. The cable was just made this morning so that will take some time.

Pete,

Let me know it you want to upgrade you PS with the Jensens. I do have a couple of other tricks that can improve the sound out of that gray case.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Supply Updates
« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2006, 10:59 pm »
George,

Your PS had about 50 hours of use before it left. It was sounding very nice before I put it in it's box. The cable was just made this morning so that will take some time.

NICE!!!

George

PeteG

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #15 on: 1 Apr 2006, 01:40 am »
Let me know it you want to upgrade you PS with the Jensens. I do have a couple of other tricks that can improve the sound out of that gray case.  :)

With other hobbies taking a piece of the pie, upgrading that little gray box is going to have to do for a while.

As a side note, I’ve been listening to my SB2 wired (loose wire from my PC to SB2, will put it in the wall in the next few weeks) for two weeks now and in my situation the sound is better (a lot), background is black now and I can hear more low-level detail in the music and it might just be me but the pace of the music sounds better. So any of your upgrades to the PS should be very noticeable.

I’ll definitely be sending it back to you in a few weeks.

Pete

ipy

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2006, 12:15 am »
I received the basic ps with Jensen caps & nitro DC cable which Wayne has described in his earlier post.  After 6 days of breakin in, one word to describe the unit AMAZING :D .  The ps is powering a stock SB3 using its digital out into a modded DAC.  Some of my early observations with the ps in my set-up are as follows:
- Suddenly there is plenty of details & they are presented with ease & naturally without any brightness/hardness.
- Both voices & instruments are now paplable
- Bass instruments sound articulate & full
- I used to think Rickie Lee Jones recorded voice sounds congested & "nasally" but not any more
There is plenty more to describe how this ps has transformed my musical experience but I leave this with you all to find out, if you have not done so already.  If you own a SB3 with a stock ps, it is time to rethink before investing on other improvements to  your system.

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
Power Supply Updates
« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2006, 12:29 am »
I can't wait to get mine.  I'm actually using a stock samsung hd841 right now instead of the SB2, and i'm enjoying hte samsung more.  i'm weird i know.

can't wait for the PS and a PC wayne built for me to come to papa!

Wayne1

Power Supply Updates
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2006, 09:03 pm »
Sorry Dave,

I did not see your post hiding down on the bottom of page one :oops:

You had a Deluxe PS that was upgraded with the Jensen caps. It is on level with the "good" option.

For $400.00 more you can get to the "Better" level with the additon of 4) Bybee Purifiers. Then comes the Silver wire internally and in the DC umbilical  to get to "Best"