VMPS Speakers are Installed!!

john1970

« on: 28 Mar 2006, 12:39 am »
To everyone,

I just got my VMPS RM40s delivered today and they sound absolutely spectacular out of the box.  I can't wait to see how they improve with time.  I promise a more complete review later, but I have to get back to listening to music.  

Cheers,

J

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2006, 01:12 am »
Congrats John.

Try to take a picture of your setup and post it.

George

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2006, 01:57 am »
as good as they might sound now, wait a little while, then wait some more and then start to play with the tuning.  Then you will have wonderful sound.  Speakers sometimes have a way of saying, "stand up and notice me" but over time I think you'll love these more and more.

john1970

How do I post a picture??
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2006, 03:38 am »
George,

Can you please let me know how to post a picture?  I've tried a million times, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Thank you,

John

Campindog

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:35 am »
Congrats! If you can, leave them playing while you go to work tomorrow (if you don't call in sick  :wink: ). They'll sound even better when you get home.

john1970

No need to biamp- NAD C372 does fine in a small/medium room
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2006, 05:08 am »
To all,

I am amazed that the relatively small NAD C372 can easily drive my VMPS RM40s to 95+ dB peaks @ 9 ft. listening distance.  The bass is excellent and with deep bass recordings the couch I sit on starts to shake!
 :mrgreen:
Overall a very musical speaker.  Symphonies sound live, vocals sound like the singer is in the room providing a live concert.  IMO the finish could be better, but it is on par with the finish on the Linn Indexes / Cambridge Soundworks speakers I have owned in the past.  

Brian deserves a lot of credit and a thank you for making a musical tower speaker affordable to working audiophiles such as myself.  The combination of ribbons with good bass integration is an excellent combination.

Thank you,

John

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2006, 05:25 am »
Congrats and enjoy! Those are some excellent speakers with alot of wonderful qualities. I do think they shine best with plenty of power to the woofers however.  Today I put in a Blue Circle amp with only 80wpc which will be running my planar/mid section. Over all the sound is very good even to high volume. The bass isn't even half bad but I also know very well how good the bass can be.

Once your speakers and nerves settle in a bit you'll want to position the speakers perfectly. This alone makes a large difference with any speaker and it's a free tweak.  If you make any pot adjustments do it only one little click at a time.

Hope you have many hours of enjoyable listening. I certainly do with mine. Numerous times I've stayed up later than I should have.

john1970

Staying up late
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2006, 11:35 am »
I don't think I'll be getting much sleep over the next few days!  Damn those speakers sound good  :D  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

John

john1970

Staying up late
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2006, 11:35 am »
I don't think I'll be getting much sleep over the next few days!  Damn those speakers sound good  :D  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

John

meilankev

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2006, 01:16 pm »
John,

I am very happy you are enjoying your RM40s so much.  They are a very fine speaker that can be made to sound sweet.  I hope they provide you as much enjoyment as I get from mine.

Congrats!!!
Kevin

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2006, 02:05 pm »
Enjoy the honeymoon.  Punt work.  Stay home and listen.  Remember, you are not suppose to have any sun tans on honeymoon........... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

John Casler

Re: No need to biamp- NAD C372 does fine in a small/medium r
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2006, 06:17 pm »
Quote from: john1970
To all,

I am amazed that the relatively small NAD C372 can easily drive my VMPS RM40s to 95+ dB peaks @ 9 ft. listening distance.  The bass is excellent and with deep bass recordings the couch I sit on starts to shake!
 :mrgreen:
Overall a very musical speaker.  Symphonies sound live, vocals sound like the singer is in the room providing a live concert.  IMO the finish could be better, but it is on par with the finish on the Linn Indexes / Cambridge Soundworks speakers I have owned in the past.  

B ...

That is great news that the NAD is doing the job, and also that your room supports the bass ouput of the RM40.

I know that it is difficult to imagine, but what most are saying here is true.  :o  Over the next several months, these speakers will slowly and surely get better and better. :D

The bass will go deeper and become even more dynamic and full.  The mids and highs will lose a hint of "edge", while becoming even more detailed, resolving, and sweet.

Small adjustments to the putty, pots and placement (PPP) can also continue to make them better.

I think dialing them in, is half of the fun. 8)

Enjoy!

SWG255

Welcome to the RM-40 "club"
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2006, 09:11 pm »
Congratulations on your RM-40s. I've loved mine every minute since I got them in December, 2003. You'll have plenty of time to do the "PPP" thing as John suggests, enjoy the music and don't be in too much of a hurry to change things, the more you listen, the more you'll know what adjustments are doing the job for you.

Have the speakers changed your opinion of any recordings you've listened to on them? They often do that for me. I keep thinking I'll start at the letter "A" and work all the way to "Z" in my music collection, rediscovering discs I haven't played in awhile and re-listening to constant favorites. However, I never seem to get sufficiently organized, whatever i'm playing at the moment sends me off on a musical tangent. :)

John Casler

Re: Welcome to the RM-40 "club"
« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2006, 09:19 pm »
Quote from: SWG255
You'll have plenty of time to do the "PPP" thing as John suggests, enjoy the music and don't be in too much of a hurry to change things, the more you listen, the more you'll know what adjustments are doing the job for you.

This is an "excellent" point and I too should have made it.

Don't do any PPP adjustments until you feel the speakers are well broken in.

Let that process happen first and then if "fine tuning" is needed, have at it.

That doesn't hold true for "placement".  Feel free to play with placement and convergence to allow you to develop a feel for the sonic charachteristics of certain positions/angles and their sonic attributes.

john1970

Thank you to all
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2006, 02:50 am »
To all,

Thank you for the advice.  Unfortunately one of my bottom woofers was damaged in manufacturing and Brian is sending a new one.  Once it is installed I will do more listening this weekend.  It kinda sucks that the woofer was damaged, but Brian is doing an excellent job at customer service.

John

john1970

New woofer solved the problem!
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2006, 01:15 am »
To all,

My RM40s now sound excellent.  Brian sent and new woofer by 3-day air and it arrived in two!  Needless to say the new woofer solved the problem and the bass from both speakers sounds identical (or so close I can't tell the difference).  I will write a complete review of the speakers once I have more hours on them.

Cheers,

John

:D  :D

SWG255

Re: New woofer solved the problem!
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2006, 02:39 am »
Excellent! I'm glad you're really hering the speakers now. Brian has always offered first-rate service.

Keep us posted on your thoughts as the speakers break-in and you begin to tune them.

Quote from: john1970
To all,
My RM40s now sound excellent.  Brian sent and new woofer by 3-day air and it arrived in two!  Needless to say the new woofer solved the problem and the bass from both speakers sounds identical (or so close I can't tell the difference).  I will write a complete review of the speakers once I have more hours on them.

Cheers,

John

:D  :D