Cheap Modified Lite DAC

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:21 pm »
While browsing through Audiogon, I came across this ad. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with this company?
Any thoughts on their modded DAC-60?
Thanks.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1148614751

Modified Lite Audio DAC60:

http://www.pacificvalve.us/LTDAC60M.html

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2006, 08:13 pm »
After confirming with Pacific Valve that their DAC-60 have the certified PCM1704-K DAC chip, I took the plunge on their modified DAC-60. :)
Will let you guys know how it goes.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:09 pm »
how does this mod compare to the $780 sonic craft mod?

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:21 pm »
$180 difference. :) . Good question!! I don't know since this will be my first DAC. They have a 30 days return with no restocking fees so I'm going to give them a shot.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:31 pm »
how does the modded dac60 compare to the dac68?

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:37 pm »
Quote from: marvda1
how does the modded dac60 compare to the dac68?

The following info is posted on their website so take it for what it's worth.

We made significant changes to the DAC 60 to sound closer to the DAC 68.

What We Did

We made a number of circuit changes and modifications. All of the circuit changes we made use premium parts. We replaced a majority of the capacitors with WIMA Black Box Metallized Polypropylene, Mcap Supreme Silver / Oil caps and Elna caps for audio.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:44 pm »
seems like all they do is change the opamps out?  Still a sweet price if it improves the stock dac-ah quite a bit.  

I doubt this will compare with the "audio mirror" style mods that can be done to the dac-ah but I could be wrong.  

I have stock dac-ah and it does not even really compare with my Zhalou DAC or the DAC 60.

It does sound nice though, in a way that you casually listen to music just to enjoy it.  (the stock lite dac-ah that is)

Horizons

• Restricted
Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:46 pm »
Quote from: fabaudio
I ordered their modded Dac AH and should have an opinion by this weekend vis-a-vis my Monica ll which went up in smoke but not the unmodded AH which I never heard.
Frank

Please report back. I have the AH and I modded this myself with oil output caps and I am experimenting with different Opamps. Never heard of the BB opamp they are using for their mod. The photo on their site shows the stock output caps but what looks like heat sinks on top of the opamps. Interesting...

prokennex

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2006, 10:50 pm »
We made significant changes to the DAC 60 to sound closer to the DAC 68.
From this statement, I gather the Dac 68 sounds better than their modified Dac 60.
What are the technical differences between the Dac 60 and the Dac 68?

crooner

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2006, 04:29 am »
I noticed they mention replacing the Electroharmonix tubes with Sovtek. Funny, but AFAIK both tubes are the same, made in the same old russian factory (Reflektor)...

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:07 am »
I'm not sure what is the deal on the Sovtek tube but I'm planning to replace  them with other NOS 6922 tubes from my collection.

Anyway, I received the shipping confirmation today and the DAC should get here on April 4.

Charles Calkins

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:10 am »
F-100:
 Will you be able to do an A vresus B evaluation with other DAC's

Cheers
                       Charlie

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2006, 12:26 am »
Charlie,
  No, I don't have any other DAC to compare.  :(

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2006, 02:44 am »
Got my modded DAC-60 from Pacific valve today. They did a nice job with packaging by using double boxes.

I'm listening to it right now using coaxial output from my SB3. I'll let it break in for a few more days before making any critical listening but so far it sound very nice. I don't know if it's either the DAC or my DIY power supply that enhance the sound but I'm happy with the purchase. :)

95bcwh

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2006, 04:54 am »
Man..good news indeed! Pls compared your RWA modded analog out (using your DIY linear power supply) against the Lite-DAC 60 and report back..
 :beer:

crooner

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2006, 04:41 pm »
Looks very classy!
I bet the sound is equally gorgeous.
Mine (with upgraded Sonicaps coupling caps) and 1960s Bugle Boys is sounding better everyday. Extremely happy with it.
Happy listening!

Quote from: F-100
Got my modded DAC-60 from Pacific valve today. They did a nice job with packaging by using double boxes.

I'm listening to it right now using coaxial output from my SB3. I'll let it break in for a few more days before making any critical listening but so far it sound very nice. I don't know if it's either the DAC or my DIY power supply that enhance the sound but I'm happy with the purchase. :)

F-100

Cheap Modified Lite DAC
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2006, 02:55 am »
This DAC brought my system to a new level with wider soundstage. Vocals sound are clear and natural as they did when they were recorded. Highs are detailed and smooth, bass is tighter and cleaner.Overall,  I'm very happy with the performance of this DAC. :-)