Transformer Wiring

doggie

Transformer Wiring
« on: 26 Mar 2006, 10:15 pm »
Hi,

As many times as I have wired up dual primary/secondary transformers I can never seem to figure out the wiring diagrams. I have an Avel-Lundberg Y23 type transformer. I think that I understand that I wire the red and orange together to form the "center-tap" or ground which will go to my Hypex power supply but I am a little confused by the wiring for the primaries. Avel gives this diagram for their transformer. I am in the US and run on ~115V.

My guess is #2 but hooking it up to 115V rather than 230V. Which choice would be correct?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Transformer Wiring
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2006, 01:58 am »
Use diagram 1 for the primaries, diagram 2 for the secondaries.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®

doggie

Transformer Wiring
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2006, 02:47 am »
Thanks Dan,

That is actually how I have it wired up. For some reason I was thinking that if I had the primaries in parallel then I had to put the secondaries in parallel also. I started to get cold feet just before doing the smoke test so I wanted to check. I hate the smell of burning insulation  :lol:

Best,

Paul

StevenACNJ

Transformer Wiring
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2006, 09:59 pm »
Avel Y23 Question

Given connections as described above, I have a few questions:

1. Primary Parallel - do the blue/vio wire go to line & gry/brn wires go to neutral?

2. Secondaries Series - Does the black wire go to + & the yellow wire go to -? (red & green become grnd)

Thanks

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Transformer Wiring
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2006, 06:06 am »
Steven,

1.  Yes.
2.  Yes, but the ground is red and orange according to the diagram in the first post.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

StevenACNJ

Transformer Wiring
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2006, 12:02 pm »
Thanks Dan

Dont know where I got the green from  :oops: