Need some opinions on which way to go - D200 or Stratos

hawaiidave

I am leaning towards buying three D200s to add into my system, but I am also heavily considering the Odyssey Stratos Mono Extremes.  I would like to know if anybody has heard some comparisons and what if any benefit would one have over the other.  If anybody has any recommendations on speakers too, I will be upgrading the mains.  The system is for HT and music.  Below is my current system and my list of speakers to choose from:

Rotel 1056
Denon 2910
2 IRD MB 100 monos (currentlypowering mains, but going to run rears)
Totem Arros (mains)
Totem Mite (center)
Totem Dreamcatcher (surrounds)
Velodyne Minivee sub

I am considering moving the Arros back to surround and buying a pair of one of the following for mains (Arros don't have enough lower midrange for my taste in music):

Totem Forests
Odyssey Lorelei
Legacy Signature III
Gallo Reference 3.1

I am relatively new at this stuff and would really appreciate any input.  It is a lot of money for me and I want to get it right.  I live in Hawaii and the shipping kills me if I have to ship anything back - especially 150 pounds of speakers.

gme109

Re: Need some opinions on which way to go - D200 or Stratos
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2006, 01:08 am »
Quote from: hawaiidave
I am leaning towards buying three D200s to add into my system, but I am also heavily considering the Odyssey Stratos Mono Extremes.  I would like to know if anybody has heard some comparisons and what if any benefit would one have over the other.  If anybody has any recommendations on speakers too, I will be upgrading the mains.  The system is for HT and music.  Below is my current system and my list of speakers to choose from: ...

Hi Dave,

I have heard the Odyssey Stratos Mono's (not the extremes) on the same speakers that I have. I thought they were pretty good, but no where near as good as the D200's. How much better are the extremes, I'm not sure. All I have to say is, they'd have to be a whole lot better than the Odyssey Stratos Mono's to beat the D200's. The D200's are the best amps I've ever heard, even comparing them to very expensive OTL's.

In regards to speakers, if you like the sound of your Totem Arros, I'd go with the Totem Forests. I've heard the Forests and thought they sounded very good for the money. In fact I like the whole Totem line, and use to own a pair of Totem Mani II's. I still have fond memories of those speakers.

hawaiidave

Need some opinions on which way to go - D200 or Stratos
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2006, 02:04 am »
Thank you for the input gme109.  I like the Totems - they look great too - definitley have the WAF on the arros, a little bit bigger with the Forests shouldn't matter :?