Isolation footers for D200's

gme109

« on: 24 Mar 2006, 06:30 pm »
Just wondering what others are using for isolation footers under their Channel Islands amps? I was using some large DH cones but found that the amps sounded even better placed on their own four rubber feet. I think the reason was, the amps were precariously balanced because of the closeness of the cones and the tension caused by the stiff power cords. It seems that these amps might work better when placed on an isolation platform instead. At any rate the amps are now sounding even better. In addition to that, I'm now able to place my cd player on a set of DH cones, I only had two sets, one for each mono block. Well I'm here to say...Holy Cow :!: The sound of the system is now better than ever. There is a huge improvement in transparence, focus and image specificity.  I got to tell you, I'm totally beside myself, my system has never sounded so musically satisfying.  I can only imagine how much better things might improve if the amps had some good isolation under them.

mfsoa

« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2006, 02:26 am »
I've been wondering the same thing about my week old D-200s.

Mine are on the floor so I can do the monoblock short speaker cable thing and open up space in my rack. The floor is suspended wood covered with w/w carpet.
Right now the amps are on paperback books for ventilation (although the bottoms don't get warm at all).
I am considering getting "scrap" marble or granite, or getting some of those lovely Timbernation platforms. But I don't know if I should spike through the carpet or not - Spiking will give the amps a firmer foundation, but should transmit more floor vibration. I was also thinking of using some squishy balls and making a Ginko-like platform, but it probably won't make much difference. I might spike simply to preserve the carpet.

It feels like the supplied feet are similar to what one can get aftermarket, so I think they'd be fine, given a firm platform.
We'll see, and other users (they are like a drug, no?) please share your experience!!
Dusty, any comment on firm vs. damped foundation, or are we just being silly audiophools!

Thanks

Gordy

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2006, 04:15 am »
I'm of the school that feels it's best to isolate your equipment when suspended floors are involved, as the bass drivers will transfer a lot of energy / vibrations to the undampened flooring... and anything spiked to it.  I do spike my tube pre and cdp to Timbernation "like" Maple platforms, but the platforms are isolated... works for me!

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2006, 04:33 am »
I generally believe in coupling for concrete floors, and isolation for wood/suspended floors. It's always worth a little experimenting as every situation varies.

gme109

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2006, 05:42 am »
Quote from: mfsoa
I've been wondering the same thing about my week old D-200s.

Mine are on the floor so I can do the monoblock short speaker cable thing and open up space in my rack. The floor is suspended wood covered with w/w carpet.
Right now the amps are on paperback books for ventilation (although the bottoms don't get warm at all).
I am considering getting "scrap" marble or granite, or getting some of those lovely Timbernation platforms. But I don't know if I should spike through the carpet or not

I'm pretty sure you'll be in for a surprise once you get the amps isolated better. My system is in the basement, so its carpet over concrete. I replaced all my 3/4" mdf shelves with 1 1/4" high desity fiberboard. These shelves then sit on spikes attached to the rack, which is also spiked to the floor.  I suspect I'm not dealing with mechanical vibrations transfered from the speakers through the floor and up through the rack. At this point I think I'm mostly dealing with internal vibrations created within the equipment along with airborn vibrations.  I'm not sure what to use though. I don't think three footers are the way to go with the light weight and small Channel Islands amps, especially when stiff power cords are used. Hoping some others will pass along some suggestions. In your case I think using a marble or granite slab and having it isolated from the wood floor would be a good idea for protecting the amps from mechanical vibrations.

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2006, 12:15 am »
OK, here's what I did (for now),
Bought two 10 x 13 x 2" maple platforms from Timbernation and some Unhappy Balls from Arbor Scientific. From the floor up:
W/W carpet : 4 Unhappy balls : maple: 1" Herbie's Big Fat Black Dots (was going to try between VR-4JR sections but didn't like, so why not try under amp) : stock D-200 feet : D-200.
When the floor next to the amps vibrates a lot, I can't feel any vibration on top of the amps.
Sonically, it's hard to say since I made some other changes at the same time, but at least I know the amps are well ventilated and rest on solid, reduced-vibration platforms that were relatively inexpensive and look nice! I'll probably toy around with the BFBDs, but I doubt they are making a significant sonic difference.

HumanMedia

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2006, 01:34 pm »
For isolation these cheap Zalman(?) QuietFeet seem to work surprisingly well (the ones in the middle)

http://www.quietpc.com/nz/caseacc.html

ohlins

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2006, 02:56 am »
i tried to place wooden isolaters under the d-100 directly but it made matters worse. in the end, they work fine under a MDF board placed on a triangular metal frame spiked to the floor.

you can see my setup at http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=693