Preamps & phono stage under $1500 (used ok)

Hoots

« on: 21 May 2003, 02:59 pm »
Anyone have some recommendations?  

Would it be worth getting one of these sub $1k preamp/phono solutions vs using a HT Pre/pro like HALO C2 or B&K 50 and simply adding a phono stage?  I like my 2-channel but I'd like to crank some movies, too.

I've have the following perceptions:

Rogue Audio Magnum 66 - ~$800 used, good reviews in Stereophile but I don't know anyone that uses it.  They seem easy to find for sale used

Wright Sound WPL20A combo (I have have the product numbers wrong) -- this is $1440 new I think.  I've read user reviews that really like this combo.  Seems to be a good value.

AES-3 pre and AES/Cary phono (2 boxes) - seems to be a good value for around $700 used.  Not too hard to find.

YS-Audio -- HK seller on audiogon and ebay.  Very little info.  Betterrecrds.com has mods that make the preamp "great".  Not sure about the phono stage...they didn't like the original version they tested.  The combo of two boxes from YS Audio (Audio Experience) is under $900 where the "List" is over $2k.

eAR phono stage -- this comes highly recommended and where I'm leading for phono at the moment.

Cary SLP70 w/phono -- highly recommended at around $700 and extremely hard to find.  Line stage only was available for $400 but still hard to find.

Newer Cary products are around $2k w/phono

Audio Research -- some of there older unders can be in this range (SP14?).  I've seen the new SP16 for $2500 highly recommended but I don't know anything about the older units.  Good brand name.

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2003, 04:12 pm »
I have lately become very impressed with the products by Hagerman Technology. http://www.hagtech.com/index.html

I am in the process of building his least expensive phono preamp, The Bugle. This is an op-amp based design that many have considered better than the Lehman Black Cube. I just finished stuffing the boards and placed them in the case I am going to use:

I am using mostly Dale/Vishay resistors and matched WIMA caps for the phono board. I have used slightly higher value Panasonic PS caps.

If you are not into DIY, he also has assembled phono preamps.

The Cornet, at $600.00 assembled, is very highly thought  of:
http://www.hagtech.com/cornet.html

Scott F.

Re: Preamps & phono stage under $1500 (used ok)
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2003, 11:49 am »
Quote from: Hoots
Anyone have some recommendations?  

Would it be worth getting one of these sub $1k preamp/phono solutions vs using a HT Pre/pro like HALO C2 or B&K 50 and simply adding a phono stage?  I like my 2-channel but I'd like to crank some movies, too.

I've have the following perceptions:

YS-Audio -- HK seller on audiogon and ebay. Very little info. Betterrecrds.com has mods that make the preamp "great". Not sure about the phono stage...they didn't like the original version they tested. The combo of two boxes from YS Audio (Audio Experience) is under $900 where the "List" is over $2k.

Audio Research -- some of there older unders can be in this range (SP14?). I've seen the new SP16 for $2500 highly recommended but I don't know anything about the older units. Good brand name.

If you don't mind, I'll throw in my two cents worth :)

If you are doing a full HT with 5.1, I'd just add a phono pre unless you are going to set up a dedicated 2 channel system and listening room. Here are a couple of ideas.

Phono Pre
Graham Slees Graham Amp 2 or if you want to spend a few more bucks and are going to start seriously collecting vinyl, his Jazz Club. It has variable EQ'ing that covers the years. I have both in house for review and they are both, extremely good. I ended up buying the Jazz Club, it was that good.

Pre/phono combination
Mapletree Audio (the guys here on the Circle). I also have his pre/phono combo in for review. Lloyds Ultra 4 has that classic tube sound, warm, lush yet detailed. The phono stage is very nice. Really good stuff if you are looking for a change. He also does a simple, add on phono stage too.

Korato KVP 20. Unfortunately these guys don't have a US distributor but you can buy direct from the factory. This is a true dual mono, tubed pre/phono. Separate case for the power supply. This one may be a a bit more than you were looking to spend but I can't recommend this pre highly enough. In a word, stunning.

A few words about the pre's you mentioned;

The YS Audio - Nels at TNT just bought one of these (no review pieces are availible). He hated the stock unit. He  ended up changing out all of the caps to make it sound decent. Look for his reviews coming up on the site.

The AR stuff is just "OK". When you buy the older used pieces, they are usually well used and are in need of cap changes due to their age. You can find better (and cheaper).

So many choices.....

Regards,
Scott

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2003, 12:15 pm »
The Audible Illusions Modulus 3A tube preamp is said to have an excellent phono stage.

Hoots

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2003, 05:38 am »
Scott,

THANKS!  I've been to the TNT-audio site and I've contacted Korato, Maple Tree and seen the Graham site.  The KVP10 is in my range and of interest.  The Maple Tree products seem even more affordable.  Do you have any idea how these might compare to the Rogue Audio Magnum 66 w/phono used at roughly the same price....or the Wrigth Sound two box phono and pre-amp at $1440 new?  or the Audible Illusions which I see on audiogon.com The data on my other ideas was helpful.

The Wright combo has been of interest used because their products seem to sell very quickly used.   My concern with some of these lesser know options is that once I want to upgrade--say even within the same line I would like to feel like there is strong resale value.

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2003, 06:40 am »
Another option for a linestage is the new IRD Audio Purist, which has gotten very very positive reviews.  It costs under $700.  You can then use the savings to buy a phono stage.