The transformation has begun!

blkwrxwgn

« on: 21 May 2003, 02:51 pm »
Hello everybody!  First post here and i'm sure many more to come.  Great site!

My systems transformation has begun.  I have been a BIG HT fan for years and still am but I have grown tired of the lack of depth or soundstage that I was getting with my old HT setup.  My system as of a few months ago was a Atlantic Technology 370THX Ultra speaker setup, Outlaw Audio 950 Pre, Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp, JVC DVD player that also doubled as my CD player (YIKES).  

The wife and I watch 3-5 movies a week!  We are big fans but I wanted to add a little bit more of the audio side of things to my system.  So I figured I would change the speakers and add a TT.  We ended up liking the Onix Ref 1 speakers (www.av123.com) that we heard at a friends home.  I then picked up a used TT and Phono stage.  

I went with the Sumiko 2.9 Wood Classic with a  dynavector 10x4 cart and an AES PH-1 tube phono stage.  I thought that those two additions would really add a nice touch to a primarly HT only setup + the speakers.  

Any tips on the choice of my TT or phono stage would be apreciated since this is my first TT.  The whole idea of my wife and I searching thru garage sales and good will stores for great vinyl was one of the things that interested us!  (sick huh?  :wink:  but I think some of you know what I am talking about).  

We are very excited about getting into vinyl.  I have already made a few n00b mistakes like thinking 180g recordings automaticly made them better and wasting money on them.  Any tips on some great audiophile recordings of Jazz or Alt Rock would be helpful or some great sources of high quality recordings.  

Thanks again for a great site and some great info!

Aaron

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2003, 03:12 pm »
Wow this place is as dead as dead can be.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2003, 03:32 pm »
"snip" I didn't read close enough

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2003, 03:38 pm »
I'm very happy with the Cassandra Wilson "New Moon Daughter" 2 LP set I got recently from a Canadian eBay seller.  A recent Acoustic Sounds e-mail offers a European pressing of CW's "Travelling Miles" but it's $40.

Red Trumpet seems to have better prices. LPnow often has some discontinued vinyl at good prices. If you don't mind spending the $$ and enjoy female vocals, I'd get Holly Cole's "Temptation" from Classic Records

Fantasy Records still carries new vinyl in their Original Jazz Classics line @ 9.98/disc. You have to look up artists on an alphabetical list, then see if the title you want is available on LP.
http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/artist.html

michael w

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2003, 12:31 am »
I can't coment on your TT setup as I haven't heard those particular models.

Forget about those expensive 180g frisbees and consider getting a vacuum record cleaning machine, like a Nitty Gritty 1.5 Fi or VPI 16.5.
This is an essential part of a vinyl playback system.

It will provide audible benefits to both used and new records.

cheerio

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2003, 02:12 am »
Thanks for the replies guys!  

I'll bookmark all these places for good vinyl.

I agree a nitty gritty is one of the next purchases I will make.

Thanks again.  

ps.  I went with an AES PH-1 phono stage.  LOVE IT.