Understanding the USB Select

one1speed

« on: 23 Mar 2006, 04:25 pm »
I am just trying to get a grasp of this product. To be honest, the first I heard of this concept with with the TwinDac+. While I'm sure it's nice, it is a bit pricey. I've been thinking of the idea of using my computer as a transport of sorts, maybe for CDs and DVDs? I currently have an Audio Note CD2.1x, which is pretty nice. The idea would be to replace this with the USB type of system.

On with the questions...First, I have a Mac G4 tower with a USB 2.0 card. Even though this isn't battery powered, will this work to good effect?

Second, is the USB select simply a device to bring the data in from the computer and shuttle it off to a dac? Or is it a dac as well?

If it is a dac also, how does the dac in the USB select compare to the Red Wine stand along dac? In other words, would someone need both to recognize the superior sonics one can get from this type of system?

I hope don't mind the questions. I did seach but found little info on this. Thanks in advace for your time.

kfr01

Re: Understanding the USB Select
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2006, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: one1speed
I am just trying to get a grasp of this product. To be honest, the first I heard of this concept with with the TwinDac+. While I'm sure it's nice, it is a bit pricey. I've been thinking of the idea of using my computer as a transport of sorts, maybe for CDs and DVDs? I currently have an Audio Note CD2.1x, which is pretty nice. The idea would be to replace this with the USB type of system.

On with the questions...First, I have a Mac G4 tower with a USB 2.0 card. Even though this isn't battery powered, wil ...

The USB Select device is based on a modified M-Audio Transit.  

You may find more information about the Transit here:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

First, it doesn't matter that your G4 isn't battery powered.  If the G4 can work with the Transit, it will work with the USB Select.

Second, this device is -both- a DAC and a SPDIF out.  I.e., you can "SELECT" whether or not you use it as a dac or a USB->SPDIF converter.  

Third, the Monica-based DAC RWA sells is highly regarded.  What does this mean?  Who knows, but this last question highlights the versatility of the USB Select.  You can start off just buying the Select, then try out other DACs at will, to see what you prefer.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Understanding the USB Select
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2006, 03:02 pm »
Quote from: one1speed

On with the questions...First, I have a Mac G4 tower with a USB 2.0 card. Even though this isn't battery powered, wil ...

Hi one1speed,

Welcome to AC!

1) Yes, the USB Select will work very well with your USB 2.0 card.  I do not use the 5V from the USB bus.... instead I use a 5V regulator off of the SLA battery, so noise from the USB bus (which gets its voltage from your computer's power supply0 does not contaminate the battery purity.

2) You can order the USB Select that only has the digital output for $399.00, or order with both the digital and analog outputs for $499.00.  I have also just added an option with a slightly larger enclosure and bigger battery for up to 24 hours of play time between charges (add $50.00).

3) The dac in the USB Select sounds pretty darn good after all the mods, but you might want to try an external dac too.

Hi kfr01,

Thanks for your reply and I agree!

Best regards,

one1speed

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2006, 05:32 pm »
Vinnie

Thanks for the welcome. I read great things about your products and hope to move in this direction once the funds permit.

I may have more questions as I get closer to doing it. Thanks again.

Layne