AKSA phono stage

pabiz

AKSA phono stage
« on: 23 Mar 2006, 12:10 pm »
HI
I'm writing again about AKSA phono,I would like to ask about the input capacitors CL and Gain.
I have a Grado Gold cartridge the manifacturer tell me this cartridge isn't sensitive to the capacitance input load but only resistance load of 47K,so I do not put any CL ,is this right?
Another little question is about Gain I notice that with Turntables I must turn the volume a lot more than CD to have the same sound pressure.
Is this normal?
However I can say this phono stage sound wonderfull,great soundstaging and natural,with so few components.
thank you Paolo

AKSA

AKSA phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2006, 08:59 pm »
Hi Paolo,

Thank you for your post - I am delighted you like your AKSA phono.  Yes, it's a simple circuit, but the secret is in the power supply and chip choice!

You do not need a cap for CL.  No need to put anything in at all if Grado do not recommend it.  You can boost the gain by simply replacing R2 and R2' with 100R resistors, from the stock 150R.

Cartridge outputs do vary and the AKSA phono was set up for the higher output cartridges increasingly available.

Ciao,

Hugh

pabiz

AKSA phono stage
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2006, 08:02 am »
Hi Hugh,thank you for reply,I'm thinking to replace R2 for much gain,but I was not sure this change the Riaa response.
In my kit R2 is 100 ohm,R3 6K8,R5 68K,R6 3K3,R7 3K3.

Thanks Paolo

AKSA

AKSA phono stage
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2006, 08:00 pm »
Pabiz,

I don't believe changing it to say 82R will affect RIAA.  Try this;  I had not realised it was already 100R, but 82R will be fine.

Ciao,

Hugh