acoustic cotton hanging / mounting question

rhyno

« on: 21 Mar 2006, 02:17 pm »
in a small room where the distance between L & R side walls is just 11', would you put acoustic cotton as a drape in front of each wall (say, 1-4" in front of the walls), or would you tack it to the wall like wallpaper?

also, any idea of thickness? i'm thinking 2" as such a small room requires add'l absorption.

finally, how could i make it more visually appealing? i guess if i used it as wallpaper, i could hang pictures on top of it, but if its used as a drape, what could i do?

many thanks
rhyno

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2006, 07:32 pm »
Hanging it 2" from the front wall will help it do a better job of absorbing down deeper.  Just understand that the 2" material only comes in 2'x4' pieces.  You might find it easier to tack it to the wall and firr out so you can cover the whole thing with cloth.

Glenn K

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2006, 05:52 pm »
Actaully from all the lab tests I have done, spacing off the wall with  help absorb more of the high end also. Sound comes in from the sides, hitting the back wall and panel.

Glenn

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2006, 06:21 pm »
Absolutely.  Just a matter of whether or not the room needs that extra in the top end - most don't.  Most of the time it's a fight to get enough low end control without overdeadening the highs.

Now, if you have a limited number of panels to play with, you have tile floors or lots of windows sans curtains, sure - go for it.