LEDs in the GK-1M with phono

jules

« on: 20 Mar 2006, 05:31 am »
The GK-1 uses LEDs on the amp pcb at L1 and also on the input/switching board to indicate different sources.

I've decided that I don't particularly want light as indication of which source I'm using and it would seem that I have the option of either using the LEDs but just having them hidden on the pcb and not on the front panel or alternately, I could replace the LEDs with some appropriate diodes of a non-light emitting type. Maybe I could bypass some of the circuit completely to achieve this, but figuring out the implications of that are beyond my ability.

Would any of you experts out there care to offer opinions on practical or even sonic matters related to these LEDs. ?

In relation to the LED at L1, I'm going to try the recently posted Ginger mod. but in this case I was intending to reatin the LED.

Jules

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2006, 01:23 am »
Jules,

You need to keep L1 on the analog pcb as it is the voltage reference for the output stage current source.  However, all the LEDs on the source buttons may be simply deleted.  Their operation or otherwise will have no effect whatever on remote or button operation of source selection.

Cheers,

Hugh

jules

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2006, 04:10 am »
Thanks Hugh,

I'm making the manual GK-1 with the Lorlin switch but it looks as though your instructions hold for this as well [and as the instruction sheet says "This section of the ISpcb has no influence on sonics"]. It appears to follow that I can also leave out the LED dropper resistor since there won't be any LEDs (apart from L1 of course).

jules

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:53 am »
Yes, Jules,

You are 100% correct!

Hugh

jules

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2006, 10:48 pm »
excellent Hugh!

This frees up a few LEDs to assist in the school project of constructing a solar torch   :idea:

The solar torch might have been a doddle if there really were solar torch kits available from Dick Smith [as suggested in the teachers handout]. Without the "kit" it's proving more difficult than putting together a GK-1.

I sort of enjoy the challenge but so far it's involved ...

* the destruction of a perfectly good working torch
  * much searching around shops
  * the purchase and deconstruction of an el cheapo solar garden light [$5]
  * the purchase of a few electronic bits and a small solar panel
  * lots of hacksawing, filing, sanding and siliconing.

Ah, so much for cutting edge electronics, still, I look at LEDs in a new light now.

jules