First stereo ever, need suggestions

fancynapkin

« on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:45 pm »
Im only 18, and I've always been into audio, but usually avoided home audio because of the wallet wounds usually involved. But Ive now seen that there are very promising setups for the broke college bound.
For a small dorm room I was looking at a t-amp with whatever mods it might need, a pair of paradigm atoms (do they sell these online?), and some sort of source.
Would a computer be a decent source? More importantly a laptop? What are my options for cheap, I would like to keep the whole setup under $400.
Also, if I can't find any paradigm atoms, are there any similar options (efficient bookshelves for under $200) that would pair well with a t-amp?

kfr01

Re: First stereo ever, need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2006, 05:39 pm »
Quote from: fancynapkin
Im only 18, and I've always been into audio, but usually avoided home audio because of the wallet wounds usually involved. But Ive now seen that there are very promising setups for the broke college bound.
For a small dorm room I was looking at a t-amp with whatever mods it might need, a pair of paradigm atoms (do they sell these online?), and some sort of source.
Would a computer be a decent source? More importantly a laptop? What are my options for cheap, I would like to keep the whole setup under $400. ...

Welcome to the madness.

First, a computer is a fine source.  Many people here use a computer as their primary source.  Find an m-audio transit or sonica used.  It is an external soundcard that takes usb and turns it into SPDIF optical or analog stereo.  It will be of higher quality than the onboard sound of your laptop.

Second, rip everything using EAC and encode with lossless / flac.

Third, spend as much money as possible on your speakers.  They are the biggest determining factor of your final sound, by decades of magnitude.  In fact, you're young and have time.  I would look into DIY speakers.  Check out diycable.com and madisound.com.

The t-amp might be ok, but I -highly- doubt you'd be happy with it.  It only puts out an earnest 6 watts and then distortion increases substantially.  Dorm rooms are small, but college students listen loud.  I would try to find a used receiver with spdif input.  

You can find 5.1 channel Marantz receivers that retailed for $450 a few years ago for less than $130 on ebay.  I know because I just sold one.  This "all-in-one" solution would be great for you for now.  The amplification is built in, the preamp is built in, and it will accept a variety of inputs.  When you graduate or move into an apartment it'll provide a basic home theater setup.

Assuming you can find a sonica/transit for $50 used, and a receiver for $150 after shipping, you can then spend $200 on speakers.

I recommend building a speaker based on this driver:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=FR125S

build a clone of this:
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrnch2/fullrange.html

You'll be quite happy, I think.  Good luck!

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2006, 05:44 pm »
Best cheap speaker I've found: Infinity Primus 150. I've heard nothing under $200 a pair that sounds as good, including the Paradigm. A used NAD C320BEE is a good bet at $300.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2006, 05:49 pm »
Also check out the AV123.com X-LS speaker. Looks quite nice for $199 a pair.

maxwalrath

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2006, 06:39 pm »
A computer based audio source as described above is a necessity in this pricerange.

For a $400 budget, a t-amp paired with efficient speakers might be the best bet. Most of the weaknesses of the t-amp go away when matched with speakers that are very easy to drive.

I went straight from a t-amp to a Clari-T some time back, but for not very much money you can improve the power supply with a bigger SLA battery and some other minor improvements that get you half way there. I remember reading the cost of the upgrades most people diy'ed were only $60 or so, still leaving $295 for speakers (and $5 for wire).

Other people swear by a Charlize, which is also not much money ($100) and needs high efficiency speakers.

Said another way, you can spend $250 for another non-digital amp...and there's a (very) good chance the other amp won't sound as good anyway. Then you only have half as much $$ for speakers.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2006, 07:10 pm »
I agree with kfr's comments.  If you don't go with an older Marantz, you could go with yesteryear's hot digital receivers like the Panasonic XR-25/45 or the JVC.  The ability to eventually use it for HT is cool also.

Another option would be the Sharp EX-111 or equivalent.  CD player, preamp, and amp in one.  Sounds very good.

Or, if you find a Sharp SD-EX202 system, it comes with speakers and will fill a dorm room with very good sound.  I was quite surprised with how good that unit was.  I think it's a tad better than the EX-111.

I found a couple of these things on ebay.

For $100-200, the Sharp's are the way to go.  Use the extra for something else. ;)

Gordy

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2006, 07:49 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
A computer based audio source as described above is a necessity in this pricerange.

... you can improve the power supply with a bigger SLA battery and some other minor improvements that get you half way there. I remember reading the cost of  ...

Here's a battery supply that could be diy'd easily... dirt cheap too  :D

http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES3382

ehider

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2006, 08:06 pm »
I strongly second the suggestion of going with the new X-LS speaker sold on AV123.com. This speaker looks to re-set the whole concept of what you can get for your money anywhere near it's price point.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2006, 08:10 pm »
Quote from: ehider
I strongly second the suggestion of going with the new X-LS speaker sold on AV123.com. This speaker looks to re-set the whole concept of what you can get for your money anywhere near it's price point.[/quote

I agree with Eric on this one.   I am going to order a pair of my own!  They look great and were designed by Danny Richie.

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2006, 08:15 pm »
Another vote for the X-LS. I have a pair along with the X-SUB. They are just far too good for the money. You cannot find ANY pair of speakers for $200.00 that will come close to the sound or appearance of these.

The X-SUB will go down to about 28 Hz. It sounds very clean and quick. Not boomy. Another amazing buy for $200.00.

I have them paired with a Panny SA-XR55. The total is more than you wanted to spend, but I don't think you will find anything that will sound any better for at least 4 times as much.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2006, 10:13 pm »
Dorms and shared apartments are noisy, crowded, and small.  You'll never get good sound there, at least for much of the time.  Let someone else bring the conventional speaker based system.  

Buy good headphones and plug into your laptop.  I did headphones in college.  Even "grownups" like Srajan from 6moons use them.  He has highly recommended $1500 CDP/headphone systems.

The above suggestions are good ones, but $400 USD is an excerise in fustration, unless you go DIY or used.  Come back when you have your own place and at least $1,000 USD to spend.

JDUBS

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2006, 10:35 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
Another vote for the X-LS. I have a pair along with the X-SUB. They are just far too good for the money. You cannot find ANY pair of speakers for $200.00 that will come close to the sound or appearance of these.

The X-SUB will go down to about 28 Hz. It sounds very clean and quick. Not boomy. Another amazing buy for $200.00.

I have them paired with a Panny SA-XR55. The total is more than you wanted to spend, but I don't think you will find anything that will sound any better for at least 4 times as much.

I think Wayne hit the nail on the head here.  This would be an awesome combo.

To cheapen it a little...go for one of the less expensive Pansonics (i.e., the SA-XR25 or SA-XR50).  

Use Foobar and a M-Audio Sonica.  Stream .FLACs from your computer to the Panasonic via the Sonica.  

You can add the X-SUB as you get the $$.

-Jim

JeffB

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2006, 12:37 am »
I have the JVC D201 digital 7.1 HT amp.  This is quite similar to the Panasonic being mentioned here.  Past reviews have given an edge to the Panasonic for digital input and an edge to the JVC for analog input.  Actually this was the older JVC-RX10.  Seems nobody has really A/B the newer JVC unit.  The JVC accepts both SPDIF coaxial and optical along with USB input.
J&R has the unit on sale now for $159.  I like mine.

The T-amp might not have enough power to drive the X-LS speakers.
So I think the X-LS and the JVC might make a good combo.
Amazon lists a refurbished unit for $130.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B0007XH742/all/ref=dp_olp_2/002-0830092-8858441?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I should mention.
The D201 is silver.
The D202 is black.

thayerg

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:03 am »
I'd go for a tube headphone amp like the little dot III and a pair of Senns. Fatigue-free listening for hours and very complementary to late-night herbal recreation.

fancynapkin

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:16 am »
Thanks for the quick replys, I guess I need to rethink this out a little better. I've already got some senn hd595's and I plan on building a millet hybrid to drive them better, but speakers are sometimes more appealing.
As for computer (laptop) as source, is that going to hurt sound, would it be a better idea to go with an integrated reciever?
I'll probally pick up a t-amp either way, just because for $30 and the glowing reviews, it can't hurt. Ill look at some of the other stuff, I love doing diy, and if it means I'll save money, I can go that route.

maxwalrath

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:24 am »
from what I understand, if you use computer based audio as it was described above it should be very competitive with cd players that cost more than your whole budget.

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:50 am »
Hi fancy,

First I want to welcome you to the AC. It is nice to see younger people who care for sound quality rather than only "cool factor"

Hmmm... how did you find out about Audio Circle anyway? :D You know I start interested in audio when I was about your age. I think I was 16 or 17 when I got my first pair of speaker... the Advent Baby II and cheap JVC reciever. Now I'm 28 (still consider young around here :wink: ) and things seem to getting out of hand with my audio stuffs! :o Well mostly are from mod, kit and homebrew DIY things. :lol:

Okay, I see that you've already got lots of respond with good ideas. For your situation... computer based souce should not be a set back. Althhough I don't use my Apple PowerBook G4 as a souce.... at least not yet but I've read that  some people acturally got great result from it... with good sondcard or DAC of cause.

With that I think the new JVC with USB in put could be the easiest for you. I have the older F10 and it sound great with my Pipedream speaker that I use for second/TV system. I also have the $30 Sonic Impact that I got just for fun, it sounds okay but don't do well in lower bass or high... but in small room it might do just fine. the SI work okay with my Pipedream speaker that have only 87dB sensitivity... so my advice is if you can fine speaker with higher sensitivity than that would be a plus.

And to save money don't over look the used market and of cause DIY! DIY! DIY! on what ever you can  :D And keep in mind that high price tag doesn't mean a sh*t, it won't gauranteed you a good sound. :wink: Just take your time shop around choosing the right one that fit your need and you'll be happy. :D

Well, good luck on your audio journey. And if you have any question just let us know everybody here will be glade to help. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2006, 04:00 am »
A dorm is not a safe place to leave expensive audio equipment.  This should work well for a dorm.  You want portability since you are only going to be there temporarilly say 4yrs tops.  Hopefully :D

Quote from: fancynapkin
Would a computer be a decent source? More importantly a laptop? What are my options for cheap, I would like to keep the whole setup under $400. ...

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2006, 04:15 am »
Quote from: Levi
A dorm is not a safe place to leave expensive audio equipment.  This should work well for a dorm.  You want portability since you are only going to be there temporarilly say 4yrs tops.  Hopefully :D

Hey!

Levi, good point. :D

fancynapkin, maybe you should stick with your headphone, study hard and save money. Once back you are home than you could go nuts buying some audio suffs!  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2006, 12:05 pm »
What you want is a stealth stereo that won't attract the wrong crowd.  Get a dorm room away from the exits and on a (quieter more trustworthy)study floor.  Don't bring small, delicate, prized stuff to college (one party could wipe it all out (clumsy, drunk/stoned, greedy strangers).  Don't let your system become the one abused for a party.

The expensive looking, main stream stuff easily grow legs.  OTOH a friend picked up a 30 year old pair of Klipsh Heresys for $5 that were in beat up plywood (professional factory built) cabinets from college kids at the end of the school year.  They probably had no idea what they had (and probably had never put it with a synergistic tube amp).  He used them for a couple of years and ebayed them for $400.

My dorm mate and I kept the good stuff in an old TV cabinet.  It hid the stuff from casual visitors and made it too big to easily steal.  My bookshelf speakers didn't boom and weren't as big as many others so no one wanted them.  

So if you DIY the speakers, leave the cabinets unfinished and add a car speaker grill to protect and disguise them.  The FR125S would be perfect.  And leave off any sub (bass attracts knuckleheads).  Check out the digital circle for suggestions of small receivers.  If you don't want to use the laptop, there are a number of good/cheap CD/DVD players out there like the Toshiba 3960 for $60.

Don't get discouraged.  Most here still don't have a decent room to listen in.  I'm 49 and just got my own listening room and it only cost a couple of hundred to create (plus $350,000 for the new house it's in.)   :roll: