EAR (Tim de Paravicini) amps: EAR 509

kyyuan

« on: 17 Mar 2006, 02:21 pm »
Anyone familiar with the EAR products?  I've read some interesting articles about its designer/owner.  I'm exploring the possibility of picking up a pair EAR 509 monoblocs, which were made in the 1990s.

Thanks.

Ken

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2006, 09:07 pm »
Those amps are just shy of 'legendary'.  Some of the best sound I ever heard.  If you can get them for a reasonable price grab them.

If you don't get them, PM me where they are - I might just buy them!

Bryan

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2006, 12:46 am »
Hi Ken
I have worked on 2 types of those 509 amps. The best of the 2 were the monoblocks. they were kind of smallish and were very hard to bias (from the botton of the amp) but there sound was very fast and dynamic. The other 509 amp was a rack mount stereo amp which was much easier to bias (on the front panel) but they didn,t sound anything like the mono's. I think the rack version was for comercial use and not intended for audiophile use. The little mono's were very receptive of some upgrades, (caps and such). These changes made some big differences in the sonics.
 Try and remember that the 509 tube is totally out of production now except for Yugo tubes which are of the worst quality. There are a few NOS tubes around but the market has been scoured for them when the Melos stuff was still popular.
gary :D

kyyuan

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2006, 07:59 am »
Gary,

Thanks a lot for your input.  It's good to know someone is watching my back.  The ones I came across are the mk ii version of the 509 amps, which have a much simpler biasing feature.

I was informed that the 519 tubes would also work and are readily available.  We'll see.  I'm just exploring.

Ken

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2006, 03:53 pm »
Ken, 1 more thing to keep in mind. Some of the EAR509 amps used a el-509 and some used the pl509. The el version has 6.3 volt filaments. The Pl tubes have a 40 volt filament. I think also some of the 519's have the 40 volt filament. Watch carefully.
Gary

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2006, 04:25 pm »
Thanks Gary.  I wasn't aware that those tubes were basically impossible to get.

kyyuan

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2006, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: gld
Ken, 1 more thing to keep in mind. Some of the EAR509 amps used a el-509 and some used the pl509. The el version has 6.3 volt filaments. The Pl tubes have a 40 volt filament. I think also some of the 519's have the 40 volt filament. Watch carefully.
Gary

- Gary:  again, thanks much for the info.

- Bpape:  the below links takes to a bunch of postings related to pl/el 509 & 519 tubes.

http://www.dvd-software.info/forums/ftopic30609.html

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2006, 05:47 pm »
Antique Electronics Supply has PL509s/40KG6s on sale for $14.50 thru 14 May.  How many might you need for a lifetime of listening?

https://secure.tubesandmore.com/

I used to sell EAR equipment in the '80s as Two Jeffreys Audio.  Those 509 amps were the type that were indeed difficult to bias.  A friend still has a pair, and they WORK!

kyyuan

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2006, 01:39 am »
Quote from: jeffreybehr
Antique Electronics Supply has PL509s/40KG6s on sale for $14.50 thru 14 May.  How many might you need for a lifetime of listening?

https://secure.tubesandmore.com/

I used to sell EAR equipment in the '80s as Two Jeffreys Audio.  Those 509 amps were the type that were indeed difficult to bias.  A friend still has a pair, and they WORK!

jeffreybehr,

You have some great photos, especially of the Colorado plateau.  I really like the Maroon Waves, Waves Pool, and Storm Over Gunsight Butte.  Having grown up in Utah, I really appreciate seeing those natural beauties.

btw...do you sell any of them?  Thanks.

Ken

brj

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2006, 01:50 am »
Quote from: kyyuan
jeffreybehr,

You have some great photos, especially of the Colorado plateau.

Wow, Jeffrey, you do have some fantastic shots!  I go hiking in Northern AZ and Southern UT every year and always lug my camera gear along, but I generally don't have the opportunity to wait for the perfect lighting needed to get truly great shots.  You have some wonderful pictures of what is a genuinely awe inspiring part of the country.

Sorry for the thread detour, but I figure since Ken started the thread and the detour, I'm safe! :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2006, 05:09 am »
Ken, I sell any and all I can (but that's not very many!), and they're not expensive.  If you'll send me an e-mail at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net, I'll send you the info.

brj and Ken, TYVM for your generous comments.