A little help with xover position in AV3S and AV1RS

Loftprojection

« on: 15 Mar 2006, 02:15 pm »
Hello, I've finally completed the cutting of all my pieces for my kit AV3-AV3S-AV1RS...  it's coming!!!

So now I have to start assembling but I was wondering where/how to position the xover components inside the box.  For the AV3 it's very easy, there is plenty of space in the middle of the B brace to put everything.

- In the AV3S, the braces have a hole in the middle so there is not much space.  I also want to put BH5 on the walls.  So I was wondering where you guys position the components?  I can probably fit them on the brace but maybe you have a better idea.

- In the AV1RS, there is plenty of space on the outer wall so I was wondering if you guys have spaced the two inductors as far apart from each other or if you just pushed everthing close together right next to the binding post attachment?  Also, I read that it is better to put one inductor flat and one on it's side to eliminate interference between them, is that what you did?

If any of you have pictures of your xover positioning it would be great.  Thanks much for your help, I'm having fun doing these, it's the first time I build speakers...

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2006, 03:56 pm »
In the AV3S, the braces have a hole in the middle so there is not much space. I also want to put BH5 on the walls. So I was wondering where you guys position the components?

I mount them in the floor of the box to one side of the braces. You can mount the woofer network on one side and the tweeter network on the other.

In the AV1RS, there is plenty of space on the outer wall so I was wondering if you guys have spaced the two inductors as far apart from each other or if you just pushed everthing close together right next to the binding post attachment? Also, I read that it is better to put one inductor flat and one on it's side to eliminate interference between them, is that what you did?

They will all fit on the bottom panel. The large inductor is just small enough to fit flat against the floor. Spaced to the other side of the binding post cup turn the other inductor on its side so that the through hole in the middle is at a right angle to the other inductor.

Blaine_M

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2006, 04:31 pm »
Or, I put No rez all the way around on mine and glued them to the braces, they did not interfear with the openings on the brackets at all.

Loftprojection

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2006, 03:38 am »
Thanks guys, I'll try it out.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2006, 04:32 am »
Quote from: Danny
...turn the other inductor on its side so that the through hole in the middle is at a right angle to the other inductor.

How critical is this? I mounted all the inductors flat on a set of speakers I'm finishing now. Should I redo the x-over?

Blaine_M

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2006, 02:05 pm »
I don't think it is that critical at all.  When I talked to Danny initially about it he said I could do it either way.  I had enough no-rez I figured I might as well use it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2006, 02:44 pm »
Keeping them about 3" apart gets you in a good safe range. Turning one (the little one) up on its side is a must if they have to be rigth up on each other.

Blaine_M

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2006, 09:34 pm »
I think I put each one on the outside of a brace.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2006, 12:41 am »
Some of my inductors are 1/2" apart or less.  What will this do to the sound? I can remove the x-over but the inductors are glued to a piece of pegboard. This is on the open baffle speaker kits. There is very little room for the large x-over network and I didn't know the inductors needed to be so far apart :oops: .

Blaine_M

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:20 pm »
Joey,

I can't offer much input on that, I'm sure Danny will chime in with his thoughts though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:31 pm »
There will be some cross talk between them, but then again they are getting set the same signal anyway. Hearing an audible difference from it is tough.

Joey Skinner

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2006, 03:42 pm »
If the audible difference is hard to detect I think I will just leave the crossover as it is. Although I could remove the x-over and reposition the inductors, the tedious work involved and the risk of damage doesn't seem worth it.  Thanks for the speedy replies.