Phono section on T7 SLR Question

boead

« on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:43 pm »
My turntables phono section seems to be a low, not sure if something is wrong.

My CDP, SACD and Computer audio source are much louder then the phono.

Equal volume would be CDP at 8:00, Phono at 11:00 and maybe a little more drastic then that. I had my iPod on the preamp as well and the phono is about on par with that maybe slightly less (lower).

My amp is very low powered and the lower gain is problematic. I’m looking at an AT cart that has slightly lower gain then the Grado Red I’m using now and I’m concerned that this matter will only get worse.

Is there anything I can do to increase the phono gain? I really like the way the phono section sounds and don’t want to replace it with phono headamp.

Thanks.

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2006, 09:04 pm »
What is the output specification for your phono cartridge?  The gain on all of our phono sections is essentially industry standard - - - 40 dB at 1KHz.

If you have a low output cartridge, the fix is to turn the volume control up further.  That is what it is there for.  :)

Frank Van Alstine

Listens2tubes

Re: Phono section on T7 SLR Question
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:19 am »
Quote from: boead
My turntables phono section seems to be a low, not sure if something is wrong.

My CDP, SACD and Computer audio source are much louder then the phono.

Equal volume would be CDP at 8:00, Phono at 11:00 and maybe a little more drastic then that. I had my iPod on the preamp as well and the phono is about on par with that maybe slightly less (lower).

My amp is very low powered and the lower gain is problematic. I’m looking at an AT cart that has slightly lower gain then the Grado Red I’m using now and ...

What cartridge are you using? A headamp is used with your phono stage to boost the signal from a low output moving coil cartridge and does not replace said phono stage.

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:18 pm »
A head amp shouldn't be required for a mm cartridge.

The output of the Grado Prestige line is stated to be 5mv; so w/ 40db of gain in the phono amp, the line amp section should be getting a 500mv signal ( or .5v. ).

To match the output of a typical CD source or DAC, the phono amp would need to have 52db of gain (around 2v). This will add more noise to the phono section.

Frank is right, just turn up the volume control. The 11.00 position should still provide enough headroom and not overload anything.

If your new cartridge has a 3mv output- you may need to turn the volume to 12:00 or 1:00. Still shouldn't be a problem.

WEEZ

boead

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:53 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
A head amp shouldn't be required for a mm cartridge.

The output of the Grado Prestige line is stated to be 5mv; so w/ 40db of gain in the phono amp, the line amp section should be getting a 500mv signal ( or .5v. ).

To match the output of a typical CD source or DAC, the phono amp would need to have 52db of gain (around 2v). This will add more noise to the phono section.

Frank is right, just turn up the volume control. The 11.00 position should still provide enough headroom and not overload anything ...

Ok, so this is normal.

The average digital source is 1.5, an iPod and other similar sources are about 0.7 and it is just slightly lower then the iPod. Its just my Arcam CDP is 2.3 and considerably louder then anything else. The differences are extreme when switching back and forth.

Thanks again.

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2006, 05:20 pm »
It's been my experience that many volume pots track better when they reach 11:00 to 2:00 on the dial...

With a CD source, I can't hardly get past 10:00 or it's too loud. I'm thinking of padding down my CD source somehow... :scratch:

WEEZ

boead

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2006, 05:45 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
It's been my experience that many volume pots track better when they reach 11:00 to 2:00 on the dial...

With a CD source, I can't hardly get past 10:00 or it's too loud. I'm thinking of padding down my CD source somehow... :scratch:

WEEZ

I have a 1.8 wpc amp.  :roll:

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2006, 06:48 pm »
A 1.8 watt per channel power amplifier?

Gee - - - then why not try just driving your speakers from the headphone outputs on our preamplifier and forget the power amplifier completely?

Frank

boead

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2006, 07:32 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
A 1.8 watt per channel power amplifier?

Gee - - - then why not try just driving your speakers from the headphone outputs on our preamplifier and forget the power amplifier completely?

Frank

LOL!

Well, I have monitored (using a Radio Shack sound pressure meter) volume in the room at all different levels and positions.

I find that I seldom listen to music over 85db. Peaks hardly in the mid 90’s and its quite loud. Too loud for nighttime listening.

I can achiever (at maximum volume) music averaging in the low 90’s with peaks just over 100db and its loud enough for my wife to say; "Can you please turn that down?”

My speakers are 95db 1w/1m sensitive.

I listen within the first watt.

I have listened to my headphones with my amp and it sounds amazing! Not to knock the headphone amp in the T7 which is very good just not as good as my SET so why would I drive my speakers with it? Also, my speakers are 2 ohm and my amp can drive a 1 ohm load. Can the T7 preamp drive a 2 ohm load? Hehe, I never thought of trying that – it could be done I guess.

:D

skrivis

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2006, 08:02 pm »
Quote from: boead
Can the T7 preamp drive a 2 ohm load? Hehe, I never thought of trying that – it could be done I guess.

It's probably single-ended Class A too. Maybe this will open a new market for AVA?

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2006, 12:52 pm »
Just kidding of course. :)  The impedance mismatch would nearly null the sound coming from the headphone amp.

Frank

modular747

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2006, 01:55 pm »
Just kidding of course. :)  The impedance mismatch would nearly null the sound coming from the headphone amp.

Frank

What is the output impedance of the headphone amp?

skrivis

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2006, 03:30 pm »

Frank

How about from the main output?

I recently saw something about a British preamp that will put out 20W or something like that. :)

modular747

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2006, 03:12 am »
Quote from: skrivis
Just kidding of course. :)  The How about from the main output?

I recently saw something about a British preamp that will put out 20W

AKA integrated amp. (Or - I don't need no stinking power amp!)

skrivis

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2006, 07:10 pm »
Quote from: modular747
Quote from: skrivis
Just kidding of course. :)  The How about from the main output?

I recently saw something about a British preamp that will put out 20W

AKA integrated amp. (Or - I don't need no stinking power amp!)

Preamps can edge over into integrated amps. Power amps can come from the other direction and become integrated amps too. AVA's most recent integrated amp was like that. (I can't figure out why that didn't sell better.)

The one I saw (I think it was mentioned in the latest Stereophile) was definitely intended to be just a preamp though. I got the impression that one of the claims was that amplifier inputs and IC cables are hard to drive, so you need a robust output stage. And then there's overkill.... hehe

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2006, 06:00 pm »
Output impedance of the headphone section is set at 47 ohms to protect the output buffer devices.  The headphone section does drive Grado phones which are speced at about 30 ohms impedance just fine though.

Frank

Listens2tubes

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2006, 07:31 pm »
I think a preamp is basically a Class A single ended amp.  :?

boead

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2006, 12:20 am »
Output impedance of the headphone section is set at 47 ohms to protect the output buffer devices.  The headphone section does drive Grado phones which are speced at about 30 ohms impedance just fine though.

Frank

What’s your opinion on 300 and 600 ohm headphones like many Senheiser’s and some AKG’s?

avahifi

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2006, 01:21 pm »
I have yet to hear a headphone I liked better than the Grado SR-225s.  Of course I have not heard all of them out there but clients do bring theirs here from time to time and nothing has beat the Grados so far here.

Frank

boead

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2006, 02:28 pm »
I have yet to hear a headphone I liked better than the Grado SR-225s.  Of course I have not heard all of them out there but clients do bring theirs here from time to time and nothing has beat the Grados so far here.

Frank

I mean the headphone sections ability to drive 300 or 600 ohms, the Grado’s are 30 ohms, some AT’s are 16 ohms, some popular AKG’s are around 80 ohms but quite a number of phones from Sennheiser and AKG are 300ohms and even 600 ohms.

Shouldn’t the 300 ohm Sennheisers be easier to drive?