Another Exodus 2641 Review

Kevin Haskins

« on: 13 Mar 2006, 05:59 pm »
Another happy Exodus 2641 builder:

I am currently building a set of 2641's and would like to ask you a couple of questions about the xover.

From the parts list it shows a 1.1 ohm resistor for the woofer network but the schematic shows a 2.4 ohm resistor. Which is the correct value?

My second question is on the level adjustment? My speakers are 6' from the side wall boundaries but only about 14" from the rear wall. Can you offer any suggestions on the resistor size for the padding or is trial and error still the best way?

Finally I would like to thank you for a simply awesome speaker. This is the first three way I have owned outside of center channels and I am just amazed. I set them up last night to verify the xovers and ended up spending the next 4 hours going through my cd collection. These are by far the best speakers I have ever had. My last set used the Dayton RS drivers and was designed by Jon Marsh at the HTGuide. They were very detailed speakers but even with the steep slope filters there was a lot of music that just did not agree with them. The 2641's seem to have just as much detail but they work well with everything I could throw at them.

I still have to paint the baffles but as soon as they are finished I will post pictures on the forum of the complete set (2641, LCR, 61).

Thanks,

David Roberts

[/quote]

dawaro

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2006, 01:10 am »
Well I guess I really need to get some pictures to you.

I have finished the 2641's along with a LCR for the center. I also have a set of sealed 61's that I am using for the rear channels.

I just got everything put in last night so I have not had a chance to listen to it all but tonight I have a pre-release copy of King Kong from the local video store that I am going to give a run.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:17 am »
Quote from: dawaro

I have finished the 2641's along with a LCR for the center. I also have a set of sealed 61's that I am using for the rear channels.

I just got everything put in last night so I have not had a chance to listen to it all but tonight I have a pre-release copy of King Kong from the local video store that I am going to give a run.

I'd be prepared with a clean pair of shorts.

kfr01

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:44 am »
Quote from: dawaro

King Kong is a crappy movie, but it should be a fun flick to watch with that system.

Tell me about your sealed 61s.  Did you make them much smaller?

I'm looking at going with 2641s for the fronts, a 641 for my center, and 61s for rears....

Al Garay

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2006, 08:51 pm »
Congratulations on your new speakers. The Exodus speakers are great performers and worth the price.

I'm hoping to have my Kit2641 done... someday. Having very little time for DIY, so I'm going to look to hire someone. Then they will become the fronts with the LCRs in center and surround.

I've been very pleased with LCRs up front and Danny's Kit41 derivative in rear and Sadhara subwoofer. The Sadhara subwoofer is fun for movies with crazy output.

Al

dawaro

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2006, 10:22 pm »
Funny you mention hiring someone. That is how I ended up with this set. Someone hired me to build the cabinets and then backed out (divorce).

He had purchased the components individually and lacked only the tweeters when he backed out. The deal was made to trade what he had for the payment for the cabinets that I had built. All I had to do was purchase the tweeters.

Since I was planning on building a new HT set anyway I figured I would go ahead and give these a shot. Now you will have to pry them out of my dead hands.
I absolutely love these speakers.