New SP1.7 owner

Slingshotx

New SP1.7 owner
« on: 9 Mar 2006, 06:51 pm »
I've just got my SP1.7 and love it so far, however I have 1 small problem that I can't find anyway to resolve to do with optical input.

I have an Xbox360 which is used as a media server for music, to do this I've set the optical input to be used on the VCR input, then I saved the settings with the mode set to passthru, this means music get's played in stereo, and any game/move in DD get's switched to DD.

Whenever I start the 360 the SP1.7 picks up a 48KHz PCM signal and uses passthru, it then get's a 3/2.1 signal and switches to DD it then get's a 48KHz PCM but doesn't play any music at all. All the time the digital light remains green.

If I switch to another input and back to VCR it starts playing, if I switch the surround mode it starts playing, anyone come across this before ?

Regards

Slingshot

Levi

New SP1.7 owner
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2006, 07:56 pm »
Go back to the setting and change the orientation of the back to digital toslink.

Slingshotx

New SP1.7 owner
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2006, 08:13 pm »
Thanks Levi, but I didn't really understand what you said, I've assigned the Toslink to the VCR input, and it's getting a signal if I select the digital button again it doesn't do anything, also there is no analog connection on this input.

Slingshot

Levi

Re: New SP1.7 owner
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2006, 03:56 pm »
Select VCR select the correct input (not pass-thru).  Once you have the Xbox360 working.  Save settings in the remote.  I think the SP1.7 will only save one setting per input.  If you select pass-thru as the default.  Then next time you want to use PCM, you may need to hit the digital button and vice versa.  If you select PCM as the default, you may need to select pass-thru form music.

I hope this makes sense.

Quote from: Slingshotx
I've just got my SP1.7 and love it so far, however I have 1 small problem that I can't find anyway to resolve to do with optical input.

I have an Xbox360 which is used as a media server for music, to do this I've set the optical input to be used on the VCR input, then I saved the settings with the mode set to passthru, this means music get's played in stereo, and any game/move in DD get's switched to DD.

Whenever I start the 360 the SP1.7 picks up a 48KHz PCM signal and uses passthru, it then get's a  ...

Slingshotx

New SP1.7 owner
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2006, 04:36 pm »
Ahh thanks Levi, I think we were getting confused with the pass-thru, the pass-thru option is simply one of the surround modes and different from the 2-channel bypass. I get the same problem if I use say PLII Film as the default saved mode, what I get is this sort of sequence of events from the source (all on the optical input) :-

Signal Type    PCM48KHz       DD3/2.1           PCM48KHZ
Decoding        PLII Film         Dolby Digital     PLII Film

However the last step simply doesn't make any sound, pressing the surround mode button to select PLII music and the sound suddenly starts. I realize I can work around it by simply reselecting the source but it makes the system awkward to use.

Thanks again

Slingshot

Levi

New SP1.7 owner
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2006, 04:48 pm »
Ahh.  I see.

I think I had issues like this before.  In my case, It happens when I connected a 192khz signal and the SP1.7 had to down sample it ti 96khz.  The latest firmware  should fix that.  I would definitely ask James.

Thanks for your patience.

Levi

hakalugi

please post if firmware fixes...
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2006, 04:39 pm »
but for now, since i automate using my Pronto, i get around it by using a macro.  when i switch to xbox, i send the "switch to the proper SP 1.7 input", then delay for several 1 second delays then send a "digital" signal to the Bryston again.

unless my xbox is just starting up (and takes longer than that to send it's signal down the optical/hd rigging) it works.

hak.

Slingshotx

New SP1.7 owner
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2006, 08:35 am »
Ah glad it's not just me, problem is my 360 takes a couple of minutes to load into media center so a delay is a bit difficult (it runs some startup code).

I'm on the latest firmware so that doesn't make any difference. Looks like I'll have to just wait a couple of minutes and then re-select the listening mode.

Cheers